Windows 7 forum

General discussion

System running slower than expected

by cyndimei / March 4, 2010 6:17 PM PST

I have a Dell Studio 1747 laptop. Processor is Intel Core i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz. 6GB RAM. 64-bit OS, Windows 7 Home Premium.

I got the computer in November and loaded a bunch of stuff. Hard drive disk space says 283GB of 451GB available.

In the last week or so, I have been noticing that all of my programs are taking longer to open/load. Web pages are loading much slower than they used to.

I wouldn't have worried about the Web pages if that were the only problem, since our ISP is not the more reliable. But since I am also noticing the slowdown with programs loading, I am curious what I can do.

I have the Uniblue Registry Booster, which I run periodically. I am also running AVG Free, once a week I do a full scan. Scheduled defrag is turned on and runs once a week.

Programs that have been slow to open are any in the Microsoft Office Pro 2007 suite (I use Word, Excel and Outlook frequently and they are all running slow) and Photoshop CS4. I know Photoshop is a huge program but when I first installed it, it would open up lightning fast.

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System running slower than expected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System running slower than expected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: system slower
by Kees Bakker / March 4, 2010 6:28 PM PST

Putting stuff on the hard disk isn't a factor. Running other programs can be, especially if they use a lot of CPU or do a lot of I/O to disk. That can be programs that you installed yourself or it can be malware you're not aware of. It could even be the registry booster unboosted something. That's why we don't recommend using such programs.

Things to check (I don't have the time now to go into details):
- memory usage
- RAM usage
- disk IO
- programs and services running

And, of course, there's the more hardware-oriented view. Toggle the disk from DMA to PIO and back again in Device Manager (that's easy). Run disc diagnostics.

Also, you can go back to factory settings using Dell system recovery. If there is no hardware issue, the system will be as fast as it was in November. Then be careful with what you add and run and change and the system will stay fast.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks!
by cyndimei / March 5, 2010 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: system slower

Thank you for the information, this is very helpful!

I may end up backing up to factory settings ... I have all my install discs so that shouldn't be a problem. If I do that - aside from saving my Outlook file and backing up my documents, is there any other backup/restore I should do?

Collapse -
Problem #1
by Jimmy Greystone / March 5, 2010 12:38 AM PST

Problem #1 is using a registry cleaner/fixer/optimizer program. You're lucky the system still boots and hasn't suffered larger issues as a result of using this program. It could very well have wiped out some registry keys that the programs have to keep recreating, slowing things down. I would dump it, and any similar programs, immediately and just hope it hasn't caused any damage to the OS that you find later.

But do some of the usual things. Check for malware, and AVG Free alone is NOT enough. And then be sure to limit the number of programs you have open at any given time.

Collapse -
Recommended virus/malware search & removal tools?
by cyndimei / March 5, 2010 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: Problem #1

Thank you for the information. Do you recommend other virus/malware search & removal tools that I should be using?

I also have McAfee Security Center installed on the machine (pre-loaded when purchased) but I haven't activated it. Should I be using this instead of AVG free and if so, why?

I used to use Ad-Aware on another machine, is that a good one?

Thanks!!!!

Collapse -
Mbytes
by jeff_windows_team / March 5, 2010 2:39 AM PST

I think you will find that Malwarebytes is frequently recommended around these parts.

Collapse -
That could also be
by Jimmy Greystone / March 5, 2010 3:09 AM PST

That could also be part of the problem. Having two virus scanners running at the same time will also only lead to problems down the road. And since McAfee is known for being a real resource pig, that's the one I'd get rid of.

Adaware is fine, but you also need programs like Malwarebytes and I'm sure others can come up with more options. I spend most of my time preventing malware from getting on my system, so don't keep up on the latest in removing it. No single malware remover catches everything, so what you tend to need are several different ones. You then hope that when you overlay them, one program will pick up with another may miss.

Collapse -
MSCONFIG
by stynor / March 5, 2010 10:08 AM PST

With my own Windows7 laptop, i found that if you go to start>search programs and files>type in msconfig > open the startup tab and shut off all unnecessary programs running in the background, you unit should speed up considerably without needing to recover.

Collapse -
WINDOWS 7 SLOWING DOWN
by davzway / March 6, 2010 1:10 AM PST

Have laptop i-7, the hard drive is partitioned into C: with op system and D:. Without knowing how much your system is loaded, have you checked to see if C: section is full, and possibly system when C: is full is trying to pack the spaces (defrag when full won't help much). Can expand C: drive and leave D: for space to store special and smaller files (not HD videos, etc.).. Something to check, davzway

Collapse -
couple more to add
by hothta / March 10, 2010 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: WINDOWS 7 SLOWING DOWN

dump all reg fixers and get 'ccleaner' only use that for reg cleaning.
add and learn 'winpatrol' is a simple and very handy startup handler.
both can be found at cnet downloads

Collapse -
Even better
by Jimmy Greystone / March 10, 2010 12:31 PM PST
In reply to: couple more to add

Even better, is get rid of this stupid notion that the registry NEEDS cleaning. It doesn't. A few stray entries will not burden your system to any noticeable degree. However a few key missing entries can bring your system to its knees. So on the one hand you have no real benefit at all except satisfying an obsessive compulsive desire, and on the other hand you have the risk of having to reinstall everything. I know which one I'd choose. Do choose for that matter. I know what the registry is, what it isn't, what can and can't be done with it, and that's why I leave it alone.

Collapse -
Win 7 running slowly due to Win Media Player Networking ...
by phollett-2009 / March 11, 2010 3:00 AM PST

In looking in Task Manager I determined that the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (wmpnetwk.exe) was using all the memory it could possibly take at any given time ... usually keeping my 4Gb of RAM working at 95-100! ... Absurd! This is not a critical utility and the service is way off base in allocating memory appropriately unless all you want your computer to do is be a shared media player. By clicking on "Services" button in Task Manager and scrolling down to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and "disable", I returned the system to sanity ... running at 20% in idle.

Collapse -
Some other suggestions
by Dango517 / March 26, 2010 1:27 PM PDT

Use msconfig to get ride of unnecessary programs that may not show up in the programs and features section of Windows 7.

Disable all the Aeros graphics features possible. I use transparent glass only because I like the way it looks. Happy

Check the task manager and see if those defrags are actually running.

Also check reliability monitor. You will need to search for this application. It will show long term system reliability and problems. Usually corrupt software shows up or items with hangs in it. Reload these programs with new copies when possible.

Use task manager when the system is slow to see what is slowing it down.

I would dump way more then half of that 200+ GBs of drive usage and download or install those programs as you need them. This will speed maintenance (defrags, check disks, and scan of all types.)

Have you run a check disk of that drive since you bought it? Well ....

Lastly your security software might be missing something. Search for and run a scan of Windows defender. Then down load and run this:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

as and added safety precaution. (Usually I use these when it hits the fan but seldom use them normally.)

This thread is tracked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.