PC Applications forum

General discussion

system restore utility software??

by damark09 / April 29, 2012 6:58 PM PDT

guys!!do you know some free software that can do a system restore or i would say the same features as the windows system restore has ...scheduled a system restore,restore your pc in an earlier date etc..and do back up ...
my system restore and back up is not working right now im getting an error about cant find .exe is missing in msvcrt.dll library something ..

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system restore utility software??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system restore utility software??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I feel you should
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 29, 2012 7:39 PM PDT

try and solve the problem before installing any other software.

The full text of the error message would help, "cant find .exe is missing in msvcrt.dll library something" doesn't tell us much.

But Windows' System Restore can be affected by a few factors, eg

A corrupt OS. That would need to be fixed before it gets worse.

Other 3rd party security suites. We know, for example, that certain versions of Norton's security software silently disables Windows System Restore so that its own backup and restore options are used. Norton has settings that can change that back.

And of course, malware will try and disable System Restore to prevent the user from deleting the malware. We use anti-virus and anti-malware scanners to find and remove those.

Collapse -
by damark09 / April 29, 2012 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: I feel you should

these are actually the errors ..
rstrui.exe Entry point not found

The procedure entry point strncpy s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll
..i get this when i do system restore either in the command line or the normal procedure this pop up error comes up and you need to click on it many times until it was gone

rundll32.exe entry point not found

The procedure entry point strncpy s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll
this error appears when i right click on my computer

This happens when i reinstall my windows xp 3 times i think some dlls and ext. got corrupted ive tried solving it by doing system repair but it was no good ..

Collapse -
Tell us more about this XP
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 29, 2012 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: ERRORS

That error message which includes "The procedure entry point strncpy s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll" may point to the incorrect version of msvcrt.dll being used, and the correct version would be needed.

There is a similar error message discussed by Microsoft here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324762 although the entry point is different.

But that would be strange if you have reinstalled XP 3 times and you still get this problem and error message. So tell us more about this XP Setup CD. Where did you get it from?

How did you reinstall XP each time?

Collapse -
Install xp!!
by damark09 / April 30, 2012 9:21 AM PDT

Its windows xp sp3 ..what happen is i accidentally deleted a registry entry that cause my pc not to boot up.I took my original windows xp sp3 cd reinstalled it but when the computer boot up there is 2 windows xp files in drive C which i suppose those others are from the original before my pc crashed.I reformatted the C drive and installed back xp but what i didnt notice its on drive D: so i reformatted drive D: reinstalled xp again to drive C: and thats how i came with these errors ...the pc works fine but these errors comes up annoyed me everytime i do system restore or right click my computer.
i also tried microsoft fix it but its not working either so i guess my last resort is to grab these software for me to be able to use my pc normally as i do before..

Collapse -
recovery console
by damark09 / May 9, 2012 7:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Install xp!!

PLz help!!i was able to get win xp up and running.Im on the recovery console on the part which windows installation would you like to log on to i press 1 and enter but i dont have administrator password so ijust press enter but it keep saying invalid password and im stock what should i do ??any replies will be highly appreciated...

Collapse -
Re: password
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 7:30 PM PDT
In reply to: recovery console

Download NTPASSWD (free) to reset that password.

Collapse -
Error Message: Procedure Entry Point Not Found in Msvcrt.dll
by damark09 / April 30, 2012 9:28 AM PDT

do you know if there is an option where i can download a repair cd and do this stuff because i feel my windows xp cd is not working anymore.This procedure from microsoft require a winxp cd since xp are not being sold now by retail im afraid i wont be able to get one ....

To resolve this issue, use the Windows XP Recovery Console to replace the Msvcrt.dll file with the original version. To do this, follow these steps:
1.Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer's CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

NOTE: Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify BIOS, see your computer documentation.
2.At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3.Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
4.Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.
5.With the Windows XP CD-ROM still in the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:
cd system32
ren msvcrt.dll msvcrt.old
cd \i386
expand msvcrt.dl_ BootDriveLetter:\windows\system32
NOTE: BootDriveLetter refers to the drive letter of the boot drive. In other words, it refers to the drive where the Windows folder is located, which is probably drive C. CD-ROM_or_DVD-ROM_Drive_Letter refers to the drive letter of the CD-ROM or the drive letter of the DVD-ROM drive. The CD-ROM drive or the DVD-ROM drive are frequently located in drive D.
NOTE: The retail version of the Msvcrt.dll file is dated 23-Aug-2001. It was included with Windows XP and has the following properties:

Modified 8.23.01
Size - 315 KB (322,560 bytes)
Version - 7.0.2600.0

Collapse -
Did you try making a copy of your XP CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 9:50 AM PDT

Sometimes I find the copy works fine.

Collapse -
Just to be clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 5:51 AM PDT

There is no such software today. When System Restore fails we get to fix that issue. Your post does contain a FRAGMENT OF THE ERROR MESSAGE so try that error message on google.

Collapse -
by damark09 / April 30, 2012 9:31 AM PDT

i went to top4download...ive seen like comodo time machine which can do system restore in an earlier time ....
but its not working for me ..i mean ive installed it but it wont install probably its dependent somehow to msvcrt.dll
so if there is a somewhere which is a stand alone software that can do what system restore can do ..i will be reallly happY!!!!

Collapse -
Looks like proof?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Really!!

I read you tried the usual "Time Machine" but such only seem to work on undamaged machines. If you want to continue to try stuff, go right ahead.

My advice is to correct the issues now before it gets worse.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.