Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

System Restore to iTunes 10 cause "New iTunes Library" error

by starberryswirls / November 30, 2012 4:25 AM PST

So like others I upgraded to 11; tried to keep an open mind but long story short I DON'T LIKE IT.

SO, I decided to try a System Restore to my previous iTunes version but now I can't open iTunes due to a "New iTunes Library" error. /facepalm

I'm assuming it has something to do with 11 changing my Library file format and the file not reverting during the restore? Or something?

Is there anything I can do at this point? Any easy fix I'm not aware of?

Or will I have no choice but to uninstall/re-install the previous iTunes? (If this truly is the only solution could you please point me in the direction of the easiest way to go about it, I'm kiiinda computer-literate but I've heard that it can be a pain in the butt)

I'm sure my songs themselves are fine, right? So my main thing is that I REALLY don't want to lose my playlists, I have dozens of them, that's what I'm the most worried about. I do keep all my music/playlists fairly up to date on my iPod as well, if that would help me restore my library. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

starberryswirls has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Restore to iTunes 10 cause "New iTunes Library" error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Restore to iTunes 10 cause "New iTunes Library" error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by starberryswirls

Collapse -
Solved
by starberryswirls / November 30, 2012 9:13 AM PST

I was able to fix this problem, thank you.

Collapse -
How were you able to fix this problem?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Solved

As you have chosen your own post as the best answer to your problem, which it cannot be, why not share what it was that you did to fix the problem?

P

Collapse -
Answer
Try your disaster plan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 4:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:
by starberryswirls / November 30, 2012 6:31 AM PST

Unfortunately my backups are about half a year old, nobody to blame but myself for that of course but the fact remains, haha. I'm pretty sure I've made a dozen changes since then.

I do have a "backup" on my iPod though, since I update that regularly. Do you know of a way to restore an iTunes library with an iPod?

Collapse -
Take a look at an app called iRip
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

Mac & Windows

P

Collapse -
As noted. iRip. Caution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

Read the instructions before you plug in that iPod again. DO NOT PLUG IN THE IPOD FOR ANY REASON UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THE READING. Or else you may lose what's on that pod.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.