Windows Vista

General discussion

System restore is missing from Windows vista ultimate?

by cuinspace / April 29, 2008 4:56 AM PDT

Hello, I recently installed windows vista ultimate but there is not system restore,of course I ve checked everywhere is NoWhere.

rstrui.exe is nowhere
sr.inf nowhere
I ve booted from dvd its not there as well.

How can I install system restore?
thank you
Gillian

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System restore is missing from Windows vista ultimate?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System restore is missing from Windows vista ultimate?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System Restore...
by John.Wilkinson / April 29, 2008 5:20 AM PDT

Try pressing Windows + R and then typing in rstrui.exe before pressing Enter. If it's properly registered it'll launch, even though files in the system folders do not, by default, show up in a file search. If the file is actually missing, run System File Checker and have your Vista DVD ready in case it needs to replace system files from disc.

As to the DVD, System Restore is available as a "Repair my computer" option on the retail discs. If you have a manufacturer's recovery system from HP/Dell/Gateway/etc. it will most likely not be available as an option.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
System restore is missing from Windows vista ultimate??
by cuinspace / April 29, 2008 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: System Restore...

I have tried all the ways, Anyone can help me on how can I install system restore in vista,
thank you for the reply
G

Collapse -
What happened?
by John.Wilkinson / April 29, 2008 12:10 PM PDT

-> What happened when you attempted to run it from the command line? Nothing, an error message (what was it?), or...?

-> Did the System File Checker replace any system files?

-> Is that a retail or a manufacturer's system recovery disc you have?

System Restore is not a feature/application you can simply install/uninstall, but with a little more information we may be able to help get it working again.

John

Collapse -
Windows Vista Ultimate UPG
by cuinspace / April 29, 2008 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: What happened?

The message I get when I type "rstrui.exe" is
Windows cannot find 'rstui.exe'.Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again. ( Im 100% sure that system restore is not on the disk)
When I run System File Checker there is nothing to replace, I dont remember the message but it does nothing!
In the past on these windows xp I had reinstalled the system restore with the sr.inf if u know.., So, there is a way I believe,But won't try it with xp version file, might be dangerous.
Awaiting for a solution hopefully.,.

Collapse -
If that's a retail DVD...
by John.Wilkinson / April 29, 2008 1:06 PM PDT

The appropriate files are stored in the install.wim file in the Sources folder. The WIM file is much like an ISO, and the contents are extracted during Vista's installation. It is possible to mount the file/extract the contents, but it's doubtful that copying out that one file would resolve the problem. And, unlike Windows XP, Vista does not feature a repair installation option for such occasions. Thus, when SFC fails there's not much recourse.

However:
1.) If you have a manufacturer's system recovery system which offers a non-destructive repair option you can still reinstall Vista without losing your files/settings/programs.

2.) If you have a retail copy of Vista you can run System Restore from the DVD by going through the Repair my computer option instead of choosing Install Now. Using System Restore that way now may enable you to go back to a time while System Restore was still properly installed on your computer.

3.) You can try pressing F8 during boot and choosing the 'Last known good configuration' option, if such is available.

John

Collapse -
Retail CD
by cuinspace / April 29, 2008 1:24 PM PDT

I ve tried to use system restore in dos mode with the disk but it says that "is not installed"
I cant use the upgrade on the upgrade.,.lol
hell, im getting sick..

Collapse -
DOS mode?
by John.Wilkinson / April 30, 2008 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Retail CD

Vista (and XP), unlike previous versions of Windows, are not based on DOS and contain no 'DOS mode.' Do you mean the command prompt, the text-based tool used to issue commands in a fashion similar to DOS? From the Vista DVD after you input the regional settings there is a "Repair my computer" link in the bottom left corner. After it scans for installed operating systems you'll want to choose System Restore, not Command Prompt. It will attempt to find restore points on your hard drive, but I believe it will run System Restore from a copy on the DVD, avoiding the "is not installed" issue.

Aside from that, F8->last known good configuration is your only other option without wiping and starting over given Vista's lack of a true repair feature.

John

Collapse -
boot from cd
by cuinspace / April 30, 2008 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: DOS mode?

thank u for the historical infos lol. No, Boot mode.. which is actually dos, I wanted to say that I booted with the disk, we go dis related.. I guess I have to install again, Do you have anything else to ask me so we can end it
thanx
Gill

Collapse -
Did you try the usual way?
by glenn30 / April 29, 2008 5:30 AM PDT

Maybe you did it but if not try:

Start Menu>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

Shot in the dark... may not work if you are missing a file.

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.