Computer Help

Question

System Restore

by vfarbo / August 23, 2012 6:05 PM PDT

When I try to do a system restore, I am getting am error message of: The disk HP (C:) has errors. Windows has detected file system corruption on HP (C:). You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored.. When I check the disk for errors, I get the message that Windows can't check the disk while it's in use. Do you want to check the hard disk errors the next time you start your computer? When I click on Schedule disk check, nothing happens. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
And what happens if you reboot?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 23, 2012 6:10 PM PDT
In reply to: System Restore

It might be it's scheduled and will be executed on reboot. Nothing happens indeed when you click it.

If not, boot from the Windows disk into the recovery console or startup repair (depending on your OS, you didn't tell) and run the chkdsk from there.

Kees

Collapse -
System Restore
by vfarbo / August 24, 2012 3:42 AM PDT

Thank you for responding. I did reboot but that did not fix the issue. I would be happy to try your recommendation of booting from the Windows disk but could you put the procedure in layman's terms for me? I would certainly appreciate it, thanks. I am currently running Windows 7.

Collapse -
Here's a pictorial on that procedure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2012 4:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
System Restore
by vfarbo / August 24, 2012 4:45 AM PDT

Hi Bob, I did as you instructed and received the following message in the Administrator Command Prompt: Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would yo like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? I am really baffled Sad

Collapse -
It appears
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2012 4:53 AM PDT

That you didn't boot your Windows 7 DVD.

However if you answer YES to that last question, it should do that on the next boot if the system is not infected or badly damaged.
Bob

Collapse -
System Restore
by vfarbo / August 24, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: It appears

Bob,
I ran it from the Windows Desktop because I don't have the Windows 7 DVD. I did not get a disk when I purchased my PC from Best Buy. Anything else I could try?

Collapse -
Re: anything else
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 24, 2012 6:13 AM PDT

Find somebody who has a Windows 7 disk and use that. Any repair shop can do it for you also.

A Windows Vista or Windows XP disk probably work also to run the chkdsk. It's the same NTFS filesystem that needs to be checked. But a Windows 7 disk works for sure.

Kees

Collapse -
Slight upgrade.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2012 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: anything else

If you find a XP CD that is maked "Windows XP" it may have trouble with today's big drives and on most machines, even with a XP SP2 or XP SP3 CD the hard drives may not show up.

Nod to skipping XP for this round.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for confirming that issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2012 6:22 AM PDT

Sorry but in the future, tell the forum that you don't have that so we can look to other solutions.

Remember that some infections do block this. With that out of the way a Windows repair disc can be downloaded from many places. Here's one. (first find with google and not red flagged by WOT.)

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/create-a-windows-7-system-repair-disc/

How to use that to run CHKDSK is noted at many places but if it fails to run in the command prompt of that repair disc, you can read http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/chkdsk-wont-work/b29fe8a1-8cc5-47ad-9c59-3333383258e7 for more ways to deal with this.
Bob

Collapse -
System restore
by vfarbo / August 25, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

Thank you Bob. I will try to find someone who has the disk and give it a try. I appreciate your assistance and understanding as my knowledge base lies in a different field. Thank you again.

Collapse -
HP
by SoMeAmCheron / September 24, 2012 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: System restore

Hi vfarbo,
You can purchase HP restore disc at hp.com. If you need assistance with this please email me at psgsocialmedia@hp.com. I will need your product and contact information to better asssist you. Please include Attn: Veronica-Cnet in the subject line.

"The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.