Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Restore

by Thomas / November 24, 2003 8:37 AM PST

While viewing ( system configuration utility) I noticed that,
Launch System Restore I grayed out
Dose Win 2000 Pro have a System Restore program ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System Restore is not a feature of Windows 2000.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2003 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: System Restore

There was some that installed a MSCONFIG from XP. Microsoft doesn't endorse or support this, there is no future patch that will add this and you do this at your own risk.

I hope I'm clear on this for you.

Collapse -
Re:System Restore is not a feature of Windows 2000.
by Thomas / November 24, 2003 11:42 AM PST

Bob, Thanks for the info.
I did install MSCONFIG That?s how I got to system configuration utility.
I made no other changes using it, for fear it might do damage.
I had win 98sc before and used it all the time to stop programs running
In the background, for a faster start up.

Is there any way to do the same with win2000 pro ?

Your help is appreciated

Collapse -
MSCONFIG is not a feature of Windows 2000.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2003 12:22 PM PST

Your method is used by many. My writings are just to note its not supported. Not that it doesn't work. And if it didn't work, then you can't complain since it's not supported...

Tip: If you ever call in to Microsoft, don't reveal you did this.

I'm unsure why Microsoft didn't provide such a tool, but the attitude was that with the supplied tools you can do the same effect. Just not as easy.

Is this clear enough on the issue?

Collapse -
MSCONFIG is not a feature of Windows 2000, so ADD it in:
by weAponX / June 9, 2005 10:49 AM PDT

>Your method is used by many. My writings are just to >note its not supported. Not that it doesn't work. And if >it didn't work, then you can't complain since it's not >supported...
>Tip: If you ever call in to Microsoft, don't reveal you >did this.
>I'm unsure why Microsoft didn't provide such a tool, but >the attitude was that with the supplied tools you can do >the same effect. Just not as easy.
>Is this clear enough on the issue?

Why should he not tell MS that Windows 2k pretty much sucks without access to Msconfig.exe?

In order to add MSCONFIG to Win 2k, insert a Windows XP CD into any CD drive of the machine you wish to add this to:

Go Start>Run and type CMD into the command line box

Change paths to the x:\i386 folder of the CD drive that holds the XP cd...

Expand msconfig.ex_ c:\winnt\msconfig.exe

and wallah, you can hit Start>Run>MSCONFIG and it will POP right up.

-It don't matter what version of XP you use
-It don't matter what SERVICE PACK version is on the XP disk.

Just remember, to delete Service Pack 2 from your Windows XP installation, and only download the critical updates for XP Service pack I

Service Pack I was the saviour of Windows XP. Service Pack II is the BANE of Windows XP.

Regarding, if Windows 2k has a system restore? I was under the impression it did have this... But I do not see it.

System Restore was introduced with that MOST insidious and hideous of OS's, Win ME. It's bad implementation causes a 100% memory usage by the OS - Causing ME to be compleatly unworkable after about just a month. Under ME, you can shut OFF the system restore by right kliking My Computer, choosing the PERFORMANCE tab, going to FILE SYSTEM, and choosing the bottom-most checkbox to check, this will shut off system restore for ME - Once you do that, then you can delete the putrid System_Restore folder that is a waste of about 10% of you hard drive space. And, then, suprisingly, Windows ME works rather well.

Collapse -
You were not here in 2000?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2005 11:35 AM PDT

Take all I write in this post with some salt. A double helping.

-> You are writing from a 2005 perspective. You could announce to Microsoft support you did that and maybe derail the support call.

Can I as why you would do that?

-> You also call it the OS names and such. If you were running NT 4.0 back then I wonder what you would think of:

a. NT 4.0
b. Windows 2000

-> Lastly, this is not the OS for everyone. It was expected one would hit the books, take classes and more. Today maybe want a "click and drool" system.

Again, I write to find out what your perspective is and to let you know you are chastising a very old OS.

Collapse -
Not at all!
by weAponX / June 10, 2005 2:19 PM PDT

-> Again, I write to find out what your perspective is and to let you know you are chastising a very old OS.

Is this to me? I do not recall making the remarks quoted. Just to verify my involvment here:

I am actually using windows 2000 on this machine that I am responding from. I love windows 2k, it is stable. I do not know why they removed the MSCONFIG.exe from the original desogn of 2k, but, an earlier solution was to take the MSCONFIG from either win 98 or win ME, both of which cause severe errors when you run it before you can get to the functions you need. But it was a workable solution. Actually I had found another way to remove unwanted startup programs but I have long forgotten it, so this is the best way to do it now.

It only occured to me recently to use the MSCONFIG from windows XP as a solution to this, because someone brought this computer over and I added it to my network, it is an old Dell Optiplex GX1p, a slot P-III, 500 MHz with 128 Ram. Now, it seems to me, that this was a logical solution and "everyone was doing the same thing" -Also, I did not see why I should "upgrade" it to XP when it was working fine.

My interest in these old threads about old OS's is because of this: My primary job is that of saving people's data when their OS becomes unworkable. Most of the time, any OS can be restored to good functionality by a combination of a good Antivirus run while the hard drive is hooked up as a slave to a newer machine, re-installation of the original OS (which I have a copy of every one from Dos 6.22/Windows 3.11 to Windows 2003 including variations and server versions), Deletion of unwanted programs, and restoration of the OS to it's original configuration.

I have a number of clients that are running networks with several OS's from win 98 to XP, and I have to know every trick to keep these OS's running.

So, well, I made the mistake of making ONE serrvice call to MS back in 1996 when I had just gotten windows 95 and the OS was pretty much garbage. The techs did not know what the hell they were talking about and I neded up figuring out the solution all by myself, which I have been doing for 9 years now.

I just like to peruse these writings to see if there are better solutions to problems I keep running in to.

Just to give one to be chewed on, the latest problem with Windows XP is that 1) I use XP that has SP 1 installed and I never install SP 2

2) XP being the most unstable of OS's and requiring re-installation and repair frequently, under XP withOUT SP1 I was able to repair about seven consequent installations of XP. THEN, I started using the version of XP that included SP1. From then on, I am allowed to re-install XP, and after F8 I am allowed to choose "Repair Previous Installation" but after the entire process id finished, the computer continuously reboots, and a blue screen of death wqould be shown, if I were able to have access to the OS to turn ON the blue screen of death and the machine would just sit there and show me and not continue to REBOOT.

So, if anyone knows the way around this, please.

However, getting back to Windows 2000, I was positive I saw a System Restore installed on one of my clients computers, and I do not think it was a 3rd party program, so, do some versions of 2k have a system restore? Or is it some kind of add on.

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2005 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Not at all!

SR (system restore) is not a feature of Windows 2000. You've had 5 years to figure this out. I'm not sure what your experience level is, but your posts pan both OSes as unstable.

If it's this bad, why are you using them?

In closing, if you want help, don't rant.

Collapse -
In Long:
by weAponX / June 25, 2005 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: In short.

>In short.
>SR (system restore) is not a feature of Windows 2000. >You've had 5 years to figure this out. I'm not sure what >your experience level is, but your posts pan both OSes >as unstable.
>If it's this bad, why are you using them?
>In closing, if you want help, don't rant.

You quoted me as making statments I did not ever make. This pissed me off, thank you. I was trying to be polite. if you do not with to be polite, OR helpful, please stay out of the discussion.

My experience level is not at issue here, I was help desk when your job title had never been imagined. When I was help desk, I read the posts, and if someone wanted to converse, I did so, and if they wanted help, I helped. I never ever responded to an post in the insulting way you just did, in both of your replies.

I consider both of your replies to me offensive, and I consider you offensive. I came back here to see if anyone responded to my question, which was:

What is the best way to restore Windows 2k of XP when it has gotten so bad that the system just reboots.

Now, I put that out as a question AND as a point of conversation, if someone wishes to respond, then I will have that conversation with such a person.

But not you- I would have your job.

Collapse -
"unworkable", and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2005 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: In Long:

Re-read your post again and you panned the OS and "ranted."

If you want help, don't rant. Let's get down to business.

Collapse -
Wow, I had forgotten about this.
by weAponX / March 30, 2006 5:22 AM PST

Get down to business? I hope the original poster got his problem fixed. The statement I made was aimed at the original post, I was telling them how to get MSCONFIG into Windows 2k. Something which you ought to have done... But instead, you "panned him" as you like to say.

Good day

Collapse -
I can't do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2006 5:47 AM PST

Offering help in pilfering parts of another OS that they don't have rights to, does violate agreements in some countries.

As a moderator I can't offer this advice.

Collapse -
I had a similar experience with xp.
by kingspawn39 / October 26, 2009 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: In Long:

I must confess that I had a similar experience. The computer kept rebooting, and it simply would not access the windowsXP operating system.

Well, I'm emberrassed to admit the cause. But, it resulted from manually shutting down the computer while the computer was still attempting to complete a system restore. Basically, this resulted in some files becoming corrupted, and the system truncated files and renamed files. as a result, windows could no longer locate the files it needed to start, and it resulted in this constantly revolving reboot.

Unfortunately, I lost my operating system installation disk. So, I eventually decided to call Dell, and I discovered my sister had a lifetime warranty on the computer. So, they sent out a operating system installation disk within two days.

I installed the system from its cd disk. And, I do believe I clicked on the repair option. The installation began, and it got halfway through and stopped. I shut off the computer and restarted it. And, it continued with the installation. Then, it got a bit further, and it stopped again. I shut it down and restarted it. Then, Windows recongnized that some files were missing, or misplaced. So, it asked if I wanted them replaced. I answered yes, and the installation went smoothly from there.

After it completed the install, I decided to re-install the operating system. And, it went through without a hitch.

Unfortunately, this whole problem resulted from my inexperience. For, I would constantly restore my system from the same restore point. This resulted in a system restore that took thirty minutes or longer. Now, I create my own restore points whenever I install new software or windows updates, antivirus updates, etc.

Collapse -
can u help me
by jothom67 / May 2, 2009 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Not at all!

i had Windows xp on this computer every since i purchased it from SHOP NBC in 2003, i took it to this shop i have used since 05 well in 08 i sent it to get cleaned and the man called me and said that my Windows XP key wasnt valid i argued with him that it was because I'd been getting updates, well low and behold i go to get my comp and it has windows 2000. but when i restarted it 2 x' before the windows xp screen and logo came up, anyway now i am having all these Activex, run32dll.exe. failure notices, i cant open up any programs, i cant restore it, what can i do, i need my comp for school?

Collapse -
Look for your restore CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2009 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: can u help me

Or what operating system CDs you have. Work with those. Stop going to places that install pirated operating systems.

Collapse -
why don't you try a scanreg/restore????????
by douxesprit / July 4, 2005 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: System Restore

use this command through DOS mode.

Collapse -
Will just typing in scanreg/restore in "Run" give us restore
by Critter_97 / September 5, 2005 2:55 AM PDT

Will doing that give us restore points? Somebody here once gave me a sequence of steps to do a "go back" on windows 98. (I still have that if anyone needs it) But, what steps would give me a system restore ("go back") with windows 2000. For some reason Norton's GoBack is blue screening my system and fortunately I was able to get it out by going to a "previous good configuration" and then deleting it. Thanks for any info.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

Windows 2000 was considered an 'experts' or Professional OS where the expert user would backup as they saw fit. Later more consumerized OSes introduced more restore features.

There is a REGBACK program out there, but GOBACK works if it's not broken.

Collapse -
CCleaner download.
by Jansetau / July 20, 2009 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Read...

Hi all.

Go here to download a free maintenance program that cleans your computer of rubbish, also your Registry.

It can also make a full backup of your registry before or after a clean.

I have been using it for years without any problem what so ever on my 2K and XP machines.

Just as a point, for my 2K machine, I managed to get a stand alone MSConfig off the net a couple of years ago. I still have it on hand from memory, but I can not remember where I got it from. I think I Googled it originally.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.