Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Recovery Harms Windows Update

by Tired_55 / March 26, 2013 2:12 PM PDT

After a system recovery on Windows XP Home Edition, I cannot download updates. I receive a message that says the website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.
I have tried re-registering the windows update DLL using the command registry. I get a message that says LoadLibrary ("wups2.dll" failed -- The specified module could not be found. I have also tried enabling the Background Intelligence Service. Still no success at resolving the problem.
Several solutions included suggestions that I download repair tools to fix the problem. However, you must pay for them and I'm not sure they'll work. I own "Fix It" Utilities and it hasn't done the job.
I have tried several other suggestions not included on this page and I am at my wit's end. I would really like to fix my Windows XP computer and I sure hope someone can help me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Recovery Harms Windows Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Recovery Harms Windows Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you mention
by Jimmy Greystone / March 27, 2013 12:00 AM PDT

Since you mention having a registry cleaner, that's where I'd point the finger first. Those programs are a solution in search of a problem, and more often than not, they create problems rather than fix them. There's no need for any kind of registry cleaning program, they're all scams, don't waste your time and/or money on them.

If you just did a factory restore on the computer, and you're having problems right out of the gate, I'd just run the restore process again. This time don't bother even installing any kind of registry cleaning program. Things will almost certainly go much more smoothly for you that way.

Collapse -
by Tired_55 / April 12, 2013 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Since you mention

Thanks for your insight. I was able to resolve my problem by installing a Windows 7 update. I never did get XP to work again. However, the computer works beautifully with the Windows 7 update and I think I will be able to use it for a while longer.

Collapse -
Did you re-register wups2?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 12:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Tired_55 / April 12, 2013 12:18 PM PDT

Thank you for your suggestion and yes, I did re-register wups2. Still, to no avail. However, I installed a Windows 7 update for this computer and it worked beautifully. I think I will be able to use this computer for a little while longer which is good for me. I did not want to get rid of this desktop just yet.

Collapse -
System Recovery
by urgentappliance / April 17, 2013 3:53 PM PDT

Whenever you want a system recovery you must save all your required data at some other place or storage devices.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.