Desktops forum

General discussion

System process is taking up all my CPU

by itsbazi / June 18, 2007 3:12 PM PDT

So when I'm doing simple things like browsing the web, randomly my System process shoots up and takes up half of my CPU, causing a temporary freeze on my computer. (like 2 seconds)

I just ran a system restore on my computer and installed all windows updates and this is now happening.

All suggestions would be nice, I really don't want to have to run another system restore over this.

Some System Specs:
Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4
3 GHz
1 GB of Ram

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System process is taking up all my CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System process is taking up all my CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
itsbazi
by tomron / June 18, 2007 3:30 PM PDT
"System process shoots up and takes up half of my CPU"

It shouldn't work that way.

System idle process value for CPU is a measure of how much the
processor is not getting used. So the higher system idle process number the less the load on the CPU.

Have you run any scans?

Tom
Collapse -
It isn't the Idle process.
by itsbazi / June 18, 2007 4:26 PM PDT
In reply to: itsbazi

I'm not talking about the idle process.

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/3128/tempcy9.jpg

The above is a picture of the process I am talking about.

Every once and a while it randomly shoots up to around 50 CPU and makes my computer very slow for a few seconds.

I have run Spybot and NOD32 scans, as well as Cleanup! and CC Cleaner.

The Spybot scan came up with 1 small cookie problem and the NOD32 scan came with nothing.

Cleanup! and CC Cleaner cleaned a lot of files and CC Cleaner also fixed alot of reg problems but I restarted my computer after these scans and this problem is still occurring.

Thank you for responding.

Collapse -
OK
by tomron / June 18, 2007 8:10 PM PDT

It could be your anti virus program NOD32.Try disabling it and see if the problem continues.

I used to have Norton and it would slow things down then I removed it then everything was fine.

Collapse -
Me again
by itsbazi / June 19, 2007 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

Okay, I just opened my computer after a night of it being off and I think the computer was just slightly over heating.

I have had my Windows Task manager open and I've been browsing the internet for about 20 mins and my System process has yet to take up as much CPU as it did.

If it does shoot up again I will try your idea and see if removing my anti virus fixes it, but until then I think it's fixed.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
(NT) Your welcome,glad its solved
by tomron / June 19, 2007 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Me again
Collapse -
I've had the same problems for ages now ..
by tom-erik / July 17, 2007 7:35 PM PDT

I'm beginning to be be sick of windows .. Ive tried everything. Even shutting down all the processes in the services section. Nothing but 10 Windows services left ( and no other programs running ) and it still takes all my CPU.

Now that i see you have Intel cpu, I can put away my hunch on the AMD X2 cpu that i use. But I feel like my ASUS motherboard have a lot of issues. It might be in that direction.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.