PC Applications forum

General discussion

system mechanic. Good or Bad?

by tteister / December 29, 2006 2:21 AM PST

I've seen this many times from the emails I get from zonealarm and I wanted to know if it was good or bad? Is it just another one of those apps that supposedly boosts your computer speed but really just makes it worse? It is made by zonelabs and I love their firewall work, but I just wanted to know from some experts if it works well and its helpful.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system mechanic. Good or Bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system mechanic. Good or Bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speed? Where?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2006 2:54 AM PST
Collapse -
depends on what you're looking for
by santuccie / December 29, 2006 8:42 AM PST

Iolo System Mechanic does boost your system's speed a little, but not significantly unless you do some manual tweaking. I don't like messing with this stuff because it's a sacrifice of functionality for speed.

When I use SM, I only run the Total Care with quick (default) settings. It cleans up temp files, repairs broken shortcuts, defrags the HDD, and basic optimizations. Running the comprehensive care tends to cause problems with most machines, and this is common with just about all "booster" programs.

If you want to speed up booting, try a powerful defragger like Perfect Disk 8. It can do a pre-boot defragmentation and push all the needed files to the front. It usually works, but there are always exceptions among machines and software. As with any agressive maintenance procedure, you should back up your data first.

Collapse -
any ideas
by zuuut / September 3, 2012 1:05 AM PDT

my yearly registration finishes 0n the 09.2012
and I was quite ready to take out for another year ,but I really don't know what it does ,flashes on the screen putting this and that right ,at least it say so ,until yesterday when it told me me ahead as time the it doesn't work anymore updates are impossible and I have to pay for another year ,so it stopped working a week before the 9th ,this is more than enough for me ,if this program makes a mistakes like this "so what mistakes is making with my computer "thats more than enough for me to abandon it for something better ,and there even more not checking in to their site often ,I asked them for my old password 24hours later still haven't received it , to big for their shoes I believe ,
but what should I turn to now ,any ideas regard aLEX

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.