Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

System Error 53: network path not found

by telly67 / September 29, 2007 1:17 AM PDT

I have a Linksys NSLU2 NAS device with two HDDs attached to it. Initially, this device worked fine; I was able to map the drives into Windows to access them through Explorer without a problem.

However, recently after I'd shut down the system for a short vacation, I can no longer access them through Explorer. I can access both of the drives through IE7, by typing in the URL for the NAS device, but I can no longer map the drives. I'm guessing that this is some sort of networking thing that is probably over my head!

I can ping the device just fine; however, if I try to use net view, I get the message "system error 53-network path not found" (this is the same message that pops up when I try to access the drives through Windows Explorer).

What do I need to do to get both drives to appear back in Explorer so I can map them and use them as they should be?

I have a 1.3GHz Pentium 4 with 640MB RAM, running Windows XP SP2.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Telly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Error 53: network path not found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Error 53: network path not found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Almost sounds like a firewall issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2007 1:25 AM PDT

Did you add your LAN IP range to your firewall's allowed list?

Bob

Collapse -
The range is allowed...
by telly67 / September 29, 2007 8:54 AM PDT

Checked McAfee, and the associated IP range is allowed. I've tried to access it by shutting off the firewall in McAfee and in my Linksys router...all to no avail.

Telly

Collapse -
"shutting off the firewall in McAfee" doesn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2007 8:56 AM PDT

We have members report and I've seen Mcafee and Norton's firewalls to continue working while disabled. I can't explain why they do that.

Bob

Collapse -
An interesting thing...
by telly67 / September 29, 2007 10:24 PM PDT

Is that when I restart the system and try to access one of the HDD through Explorer, the drive lights up like it is being accessed...and then the message "network path not found" pops up. It makes it seem as though it is trying to work but something stops it.

I had this up and running for quite awhile before "something" changed; I just don't know what changed to disable it.

Thanks,
Telly

Collapse -
Try unsharing and resharing the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2007 10:51 PM PDT

I've found that the share permissions are sometimes lost or it doesn't pick up the user to put in the share permissions.

Since you have Mcafee installed I have no reason to leave that off the list (firewall that still works while enabled.) I can't count how many lost weeks I've seen people lose on that one.

Bob

Collapse -
Cannot 'unshare"!
by telly67 / September 30, 2007 8:52 AM PDT

I cannot "unshare" volumes that are not listed in Explorer...these drives appear to be invisible to the network.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't share or unshare resources that aren't listed.

Thanks,
Telly

Collapse -
How to unshare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2007 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Cannot 'unshare"!
Collapse -
Problem Solved...
by telly67 / September 30, 2007 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: How to unshare.

Once again checked the Linksys forums (been there a lot), and found a new entry there for a problem similar to mine; installed Network Magic on both computers in the network and all is up and running just fine!

Thanks for your suggestions, Bob!

Telly

Collapse -
Just a FYI.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2007 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved...

Network Magic does nothing we can't do ourselves but it does remove the need to learn about all this.

Bob

Collapse -
You're right...
by telly67 / October 1, 2007 7:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a FYI.

but I've been dealing with this, and unable to use the hard drives, for a month now. Frustration, and a simple solution got the better of me.

Before I turned to the forums (Windows, CNET, Linksys), I was dealing with Linksys techs directly, very frustrating that they were having such a difficult time in resolving the issue.

In reading posts from CNET, Linksys, and HowToNetworking.com, I learned a lot of stuff about networking, and several times thought I had a solution...it was fun...but even though I found what I thought to be a post that was an exact match to my problem, when I worked through the steps to resolve it...the problem persisted.

I cheated...I took the easy way out.

Thanks again!
Telly

Collapse -
DONT FORGET: Client for Microsoft Networks!
by mm176824 / February 27, 2009 3:35 AM PST

If you get this error, it might be that you don't have "Client for Microsoft Windows" installed for the ethernet card.

Simple, but.. haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Collapse -
Simple
by undrago / October 26, 2009 5:59 PM PDT

Having the same problem with my NAS, I've just solved it applying your simple advice. Thanks so much.

Collapse -
windows 2008 r2 - client for ms windows networks
by FabianSilva / May 12, 2010 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple

the advice on it was the solution!! thanks

Collapse -
This solution worked!
by jcaliri / December 2, 2010 10:39 PM PST

Not sure how it happened, but a Windows 7 machine on our network had the Client for Microsoft Networks uninstalled. Once I [re]installed, everything worked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.