Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

System does not recognize USB devices

by Dolly Wilson / July 28, 2006 5:35 AM PDT

I'm spooked! Running Windows XP, SP2. If I plug in my camera or mini-USB drive, the speaker makes that "ding-****" (or is it "****-ding"?) sound, but that is it. Nowhere else can you tell that the device is found. This all worked a few months ago. Not sure what happened. I've tried multiple devices, cables and different USB ports, all the same. Does not show drive or camera on My Computer.

Device manager says all is working fine. Drivers seem ok. Help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System does not recognize USB devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System does not recognize USB devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any USB Device
by Trance_Zac / July 28, 2006 5:54 AM PDT

That has Storage capabilities, whether it be a jump drive, external HD, camera, ipod, etc. is recognized by XP as a DRIVE.

After plugging in the device, right click on "My Computer" (right on the drop downmenu or icon, no diff) - Click "Manage" - then "Disk Management"

You should see your device there. It may need to be initialised - right click on it for options.

Also check you USB connections in Device Manager for "splats"

If you have a USB printer, try it in every port.

Collapse -
Interesting . . .
by Dolly Wilson / July 29, 2006 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Any USB Device

Well, your advice about going into My Computer, then "manage", etc. led me to the issue. Some nucklehead (looks like me) mapped a network drive as "E". Well it appears that windows likes to use "E" as the first available drive when a camera, usb drive, etc. is attached. The "manage" screen showed the usb drive, but when I clicked "explore", it showed me the network drive!! You'd think windows was smart enough to know that "E" was taken? Now my network drive is "L", leaving plenty of room for others. Thanks for the lead!

Collapse -
USB still not connecting
by rancys / December 7, 2007 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: Any USB Device

I am having the same issues with my usb device not recognized as others from this post a year ago. I need help walking through this. I have followed the suggestions with no success. I am running XP SP2.

Collapse -
Perhaps the drive is hidden...
by John.Wilkinson / July 28, 2006 7:30 AM PDT

I've done this purposefully because some drives (mostly from my all-in-one memory card reader) I never use, so their display just leads to congestion. If this is the case, click here to download/install TweakUI from Microsoft. Run TweakUI, expand My Computer, and select Drives...it will show you all drive letters. Make sure any that you require have a check next to them.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
This is a Malicious do not Download
by ramon21121 / March 7, 2013 3:39 AM PST
Collapse -
I see one hit there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 3:48 AM PST

Looks like a false positive. Ever hear about those?

Collapse -
Reinstall USB controllers
by FallenHoney / July 28, 2006 7:50 AM PDT

Unplug all USB devices.

Open up the device manager.

Click on the symbol next to ''Universal Serial Bus Controllers'' to expand it.

Right-click on each item in the list and select ''Uninstall''.

Once all items listed under ''Universal Serial Bus Controllers'' have been uninstalled; restart the system.

Once the computer restarts and comes up to the desktop, plug your USB devices back in one at a time. You should see a ''New Hardware Found'' message in the lower right corner of the screen. After you do this you should get your devices back. If not then most likely your USB device or the USB controller on your motherboard are bad.

Collapse -
Re:System does not recognize USB devices
by hawker505 / July 28, 2006 11:51 PM PDT

updating the USB driver and keeping ur system updated can help.

Collapse -
Plug them back in..............................
by Scrotes4Life / July 29, 2006 9:27 AM PDT

Are they unplugged?????????????

Collapse -
****-ding & ding-**** is normal
by DarCLew2 / July 29, 2006 2:43 PM PDT

I thought I submitted a message but a friend came over when in the middle of it. Go to Control Panel and System Icon, open, click hardware tab and system manager and go down to USB Hubs. My camera was listed there and the same applied for my USB Hub Printer. It will say Mass Storage Device, unplug camera and it will disappear (ding-****). Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.