Windows 7 forum

system CRASH due to windows 7 critical update

by jdbcw / August 9, 2012 8:59 AM PDT

I had Windows 7 automatically downloading and installing critical updates. NO MORE!!! On 8/7/2012 a critical update was automatically downloaded and installed, unnoticed by me. When my computer would not turn on yesterday, 8/8/12 I tried many things, eventually restarting in Safe Mode - which did at least get me out of the black error screen and into windows. After poking around and testing things, I finally decided the only way to go was System Restore. There, I found there'd been an automatic critical update on 8/7/12. After restoring to before that point and turning off all automatic windows updates, my computer is now running fine. BEWARE!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system CRASH due to windows 7 critical update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system CRASH due to windows 7 critical update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
KB Article Name?
by mchainmchain / August 9, 2012 7:19 PM PDT

Care to share?

Collapse -
Share which update that was.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 12:28 AM PDT

And again, I've yet to find such updates to do this without finding malware or trojans on the machine in question. Once in a while folk get a driver from Windows Update but that's YOUR CHOICE and not one I make.

-> There are a few that feel that such updates should not crash if a trojan or such is on the machine. This may not be possible today.

Collapse -
Adobe Flash Update
by mchainmchain / August 10, 2012 5:29 AM PDT

Adobe issued a bug fix on 8/2/2012.

This was to remedy a severe crash when Adobe automatically updated to a newer version.

Last time I had this happen, about a month ago, same exact symptoms, with Adobe on automatic update. Recovered, downloaded and manually installed that update. Set Adobe to notify only, so when this new update came in, I ran System Restore, just in case. At least I now had an option before I ran the update.

Bug fix was only to fix the severe installer issues if it applied to your system. No Security vulnerabilities were fixed at this time.

If Adobe caused it, this is not a Windows problem or Microsoft's fault. Microsoft cannot fix what they do not own or control.

Collapse -
system CRASH due to windows 7 critical update
by siman85 / November 2, 2012 9:37 AM PDT

I did the same thing but still don't know which update is critical.

Collapse -
Windows 7 64 bit crash after critical updates
by SKLaw100 / December 7, 2012 10:39 AM PST

I kept having the same problems around October, and had to restore to an older restore point. I have now turned off updates. Is Microsoft listening? The first thing that goes is my ability to print, then everything slows down, and the system is not robust. I thought it was the motherboard, but it fixes everytime I restore to an older point in time, and then when the critical update installs, it starts all over again. The updates look like Office 2010 updates, not sure, but I am going without them, until there is a permanent fix.

Collapse -
Have you run a registry cleaner?
by wpgwpg / December 7, 2012 10:45 AM PST

It's funny to me that I've been using Windows update since 1998 on 31 computers and never had the first problem with Windows update, yet I see numerous posts like yours here all the time. Have you by any chance made changes to the registry or run registry cleaners? I wish I understood this better, but anyhoo here're some things you can check.
First visit the MS web site for this problem at . This will let you run Fixit and give you information about other things to check.
Also check out this link from a MS engineer
Some other things to check.
. Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
Forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at

You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do so click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
by SKLaw100 / December 8, 2012 1:34 AM PST

I too have been running windows for years on as many as 12 systems, and never seen this problem, only since I migrated to 64bit Windows 7, from XP and then 32 bit Windows 7.

This is my home system that uses many video and photo software programs, mostly from Corel. NitroPDF 6, Hamachi to access my office through its VPN portal. I did a fresh install of the program back in August, and it seems to have started with critical updates back in October.

For now I am saving restore points and will save my registry, along with a full back up of my SSD that houses most of my OS. I have been through the "fix it" routines, but they never worked. I will look into you suggestions and report back..

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: Suggestions

I had to remove that from my kid's PC recently. His PC was doing odd things and crashing. Now it's fine.

Only one change. Maybe you will get lucky.

Collapse -
never used cleaners
by SKLaw100 / December 8, 2012 2:00 AM PST

In response to your question, I do not use any cleaners. I have used Advanced Care for my 32 bit systems and it worked well. Are you recommending this, or seeing if that is the problem

My sfc/swcannow system came up no integrity violations.

I did notice when auto updates were on, that when the critical update was again applied, it did not crash the system, and it took weeks for the a critical update to crashed the system. I had thought Microsoft got the word and fixed their critical updates. Then it started crashing within days and now hours, so on 12/7 after going back to 12/2, I turned critical updates off and all is working fine the next morning.

What is confusing and I do not understand is that my Update History, has updates from 8/25 - 12/7 ALSO indicating that they are "installed" and successfully, but the Installed Updates tab only says shows nothing past 12/2. I am guessing this is a Microsoft flaw, and Update History is only the downloads, but not installations, just adding to the confusion to diagnosis the problem.

According to Installed Updates my last installed update is KB259709132 bit Office 2010, everything later as shown on Update History does not appear on Installed Updates, and my guess is that those later updates are now be crashing my system.

I first notice losing my ability to print from Word Perfect and/or Word crashes when starting. Also Nitro PDF and all printing crashes.

Is there any way to remove the downloads (update history) since 12/2 in the hopes that Microsoft will fix the problem, and I can then get a better critical update, or is everything sequential, and a later critical update fixes an older problem. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
No, definitely NOT recommending registry cleaners
by wpgwpg / December 8, 2012 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: never used cleaners

I recommend against them and thought maybe having used one could be the cause of your problems. Re uninstalling updates, you can go to the Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel and click Installed Updates, find the one you're looking for, click on it, then click Uninstall. Since some of these may be prerequisites to others that're installed, you can't always do it, but you can try and see. If you do install it, you'll want to go to Windows Update and mark it hidden so it doesn't try to reinstall it.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you
by SKLaw100 / December 8, 2012 2:24 AM PST

I was there, and it is clear that the downloaded updates (their Update History) are not installed. So my installed updates stop at 12/2, and my system is working find. Somewhere in the updates since 12/2 is the problem. I guess I can experiment, or wait it out. I can only assume that they send out another critical update to fix their earlier bugs, as the problem started in October, and all of my updates through 12/2 are working.

I think I will send a certified letter to Microsoft with my list of installed and those downloaded pending installation so see if they will fix it.

Maybe threaten a class action law suit.

Thank you again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.