Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System CPU usage 99%

by denille / April 22, 2005 2:10 PM PDT

on my other main usage PC, all was working fine a few hours ago, and after rebooting, Ive been unabl eto "do" anything on it since then.
It kicks into winows xp, my account opens up, but clicking on anything just causes the HD to constantly try and access info, but nothing happens.
After looking around, checking the Bios to see that the memory is fine and the CPU temp is fine, I resorted to checking the system resources using Ctrl Alt Delete.
I did this, because all the hardware seems to be working fine (I unplugged both hard drives to see if either of those was the problem)...
Checking the system resources told me that CPU usage was at 100%.
Upon checking the actual resources list, it was one in particular that was reporting a constant 99% usage
System : System - 99

I have no idea what this means nor how to remedy it.
All suggestions will be gratefully received...thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System CPU usage 99%
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System CPU usage 99%
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CPU 99%
by Earthquake McGoon / April 22, 2005 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: System CPU usage 99%

Open Task Manager and go to processes (I guess you have!)
Push "End Process" button. You will get Warning about ending processes, etc. Click "Yes" and end process.

Collapse -
CPU 99%
by denille / April 22, 2005 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: CPU 99%

Yes, already tried that, it will not allow the process to be terminated.
makes sense really, after all, if you terminate the whole "system : system" process...surely the whole PC would shut down?
I think what I need is some information regarding what exactly the System : system process is, and what could be causing it to run constantly at 99%?
Whatever it is that is running and using the full processor power, it must be serious, because its constant and starts as soon as windows is open.
Just for th e record, this is the same after every type of reboot.

Collapse -
Trend Micro
by JeffSTL / April 22, 2005 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: CPU 99%

I believe this it!

Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical patches and PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU utilization after updating to Pattern 594

Product: PC-cillin Internet Security

Version: 2005

Solution ID: 24264

Created: 4/22/2005 6:23:14 PM

Solution: To resolve the issue:

Start the machine in safe mode:

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.

Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

Start entering the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.

Note: If the Keyboard Error message appears, restart the computer and try again.

Select the Safe mode option.

Press Enter. The computer will then begin to start in Safe mode.

Go to the ..\Internet Security 2005 directory then delete LPT$VPN.594.

Update to Pattern 596 in order to bring the machines up.

Reboot the computer and go back to Normal mode.

Update to Pattern 596.

Collapse -
Trend problem
by denille / April 22, 2005 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Trend Micro

thanks for your reply,
this does make sense, as I`m using PCCillin firewall and anti virus.
One small problem for me tho, my computer will not now, and has not been able for a long time, boot into safe mode... either Safe mode in Windows, or even safe mode with command prompt.

Please dont ask why, I have no idea how this happened, it just wont... I get the sual scrolling screen of text and then the computer hangs .
So now I`m stuck with a WIndowsXP home SP2 that I cant do anything on, and a Windows safe mode that wont work.
At this stage, I have NO idea how to get rid of this stupid file that Trend put out... I dont even have a floppy drive so I cant boot into that to get to get a command prompt and try and manually locate and delete the offending file.
Sheesh... I`m used to Windoze screwing up, but its coming to something when the very program we use toi PROTECT our systems, is the very same one that screws it up and causes major breakdowns.
Thanks Trend... guess what? When I finally get my system back working, I`m buying Macafee security suite instead.

Collapse -
by zardozfl / May 14, 2005 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Trend problem

Just don't expect McAfee (or any other AV program) to be totally flawless. I've had a lot of problems with their update & subscription services. I'd still have to say they are probably the best available, though. (Just don't even bother trying to send in for rebates on packages- the last 4 I sent, I had to resubmit twice with proof that I had sent all the original requirements in the first place. Very frustrating. Guess this is how they make their money.

Collapse -
Remove the program
by Merl Priester / May 15, 2005 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Trend problem

Uninstall Trendmicro, reboot and re-install it again, the update will surpass the damaging update version.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.