Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

"system" cpu usage 100%

by skhoon / September 8, 2009 9:40 AM PDT

Hi, this issue has been bothering me for awhile, and I did some search on my own about this issue, but I couldn't find much helpful advice. So I decided to ask for a help.

I currently have dell laptop inspiron e1505 with 1.83ghz, 1gb ram, & windows xp home edition. I bought this computer 3 yrs ago and it has gotten slower; thus, through a friend I reformatted the computer about couple months ago. My friend got it reformatted through her school, and the school installed all the drivers for me, so I don't exactly know what drivers are installed. anyways, the issue is that since I reformatted the computer, (I cannot exactly remember if the problem occured before or after I installed all the programs such as adobe suite, office tools, firefox, etc.), the computer would freeze up randomly without a notice. Thus, i checked Windows Task Manager, and under processes tab, "SYSTEM" would be eating up 95-100% of cpu. I tried closing all the processes and services (such as automatic updates, nvidia driver, etc.) that are unnecessary in running the computer, yet the SYSTEM would still be using 100% cpu and the computer stays slow. I checked the Event Viewer to see if there's an error, but couldn't find anything. I ran virus checks using both norton antivirus and avg, but couldn't find a significant threat. I uninstalled norton and just kept avg., thinking having two antivirus programs may be the problem, yet the issue still occured. I tried removing my battery couple times after reading some advice, yet that also didn't solve the problem.

I can't really find a consistant pattern, because sometimes the laptop would work just fine. But my opinion is that it may be related to something video, because I think it occurs more often when i'm watching something on youtube, hulu.com, other video-websites, & avi files through itunes or gom player. however, that also is not inconsistant. once the laptop slows down, even after I close all the applications and unnecessary processes/services, the laptop stays slow with 100% cpu usage mostly by "SYSTEM". the problem often disappears when I restart the computer, but sometimes it doesn't go away even after I reboot the system.

I really don't have a clear idea of what is going on and what is causing SYSTEM to take 100% cpu usage. Please, help me out. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "system" cpu usage 100%
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "system" cpu usage 100%
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System Idle Process is the amount of the CPU that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2009 11:19 AM PDT

System Idle Process is the amount of the CPU that is *NOT* being used. You want it to be 100% during times the machine is not doing anything.

Collapse -
NOT System Idle Process but SYSTEM
by skhoon / September 8, 2009 12:50 PM PDT

NOT System Idle Process, but "SYSTEM" is using cpu 100%...
System Idle Process is actually 0%...

Collapse -
I see you mentioned batteries
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 8, 2009 7:33 PM PDT

This being a laptop, when you run it from the mains, do you use a UPS? I've pulled this from another web site's forum discussion;

"After searching through the Microsoft Windows XP Knowledge Base a bit, I came across several articles mentioning this problem, and the cause in those cases was battery related. My computer is a desktop, so it doesn't rely on battery power like a laptop, but I have a handy BackUPS from APC, and Windows was having trouble with it. All I had to do was unplug the computer and plug it into a normal outlet, lol. Apparently SP2 provides a hotfix for this, but I think the KB said I can request the specific hotfix since my drivers aren't SP2 compatible".
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/25386-high-cpu-usage-system-process.html

If that is not the cause, you might want to try and delve deeper with another suggestion in that forum, Process Explorer by Sysinternals.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
Think back to when it was fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2009 8:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
another question
by skhoon / September 11, 2009 5:44 PM PDT

HI,

thnx all for the advice, but I just ended up reformatting my computer.
and tada~ problem solved...lol

I actually have another question though...

I was setting a password for the administrator account earlier, and I accidentally made the folders/files private or something...
and when I make another account, the main one would just disappear!!
how can i fix or undo the password/privacy thingy? =/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.