Windows 7 forum

General discussion

System Administrator Setting in Control Panel

by joelb662 / December 14, 2012 12:54 PM PST

I am the sole owner and user of my laptop. When I first set it up, I established 3 'User Accounts' in the Control panel. One account - the one I would be using most frequently - I set up with 'System Administrator' privileges. The other 2 accounts are for guests, and do not have 'SysAdmin' privileges. My problem is that fairly often, I get a pop-up box that says "You require System Administrator privileges to perform this action." This happens when I am trying to make room on my remote HDD by deleting an old backup. It seems that the operating system does not recognize my 'account' - or any other account for that matter - as having "System Administrator" privileges. How can I correct this problem? Using Win7-Home Premium on an HP dv7 laptop. Many thanks for any and all assistance! Happy Holidays to all!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Administrator Setting in Control Panel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Administrator Setting in Control Panel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well that's just a bad idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 1:17 PM PST

Now wait and read it before you revolt.

Windows can suffer from the old CORRUPT PROFILE issue and if your last one and only Admin capable is the one with the corrupt profile, even Microsoft has never issued a tool (or anyone else) to fix it. You get to rip your files out and start over.

Your choice to jump into that tar pit.

Collapse -
RE: Well, that's just a bad idea....
by joelb662 / December 14, 2012 3:53 PM PST

Sorry, but I don't follow.....
1) What's the bad idea?
2) Since I don't know any better, and if I accept the fact that I may have a CORRUPT SysAdmin file, what in h--l do I do about it? This has been a persistent problem. (BTW - I f--king HATE BILL GATES and his F--king company!!) Now I have a $150.00 Seagate 500GB remote HDD which is crammed with 2 copies of my resident HDD @ 260GB per copy, and the system tells me, when I try to delete one of them: "You must have administrator privileges to perform this action!" Do I toss the Seagate and start over?

No sarcasm intended! Really appreciate your kind asistance. Many thanks.

Collapse -
If you want to set it up for the issue, you do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 12:50 AM PST

I can only warn folk away from the single Admin account. Or the idea that "I'm the only user so I want the PC to have one account and no others."

The issue is CORRUPT PROFILES that you can research. If you feel this will never happen to you there is nothing more to discuss. At least some one told you about it.

Let's cover the "You must have administrator privileges to perform this action!" Do I toss the Seagate and start over?

-> I never have. We have power tools and bootable tools to dust off anything we want. But once in a while you find folk that will never use those tools as well as not accept the fact they can damage the OS with such. I don't want to upset you (more!) but sometimes you wonder if they need to get an iPad or Xbox.

Here's the power tool I use to delete the undeleteable. Sure there are possible ways in Windows but why should I waste my time when I know this works. I boot up UBUNTU from CD or USB then click around to that folder, tap the delete key and I'm done.

Collapse -
Deleting The Undeletable.... Hail Ubuntu!
by joelb662 / December 15, 2012 12:44 PM PST

Dear Bob,

Originally, I set up only one account for myself, but increased to three with only one as "admin" on the advice in articles from PCWorld, and a few other sources. I have never used the spare 'guest' accounts at all. I suppose it is possible that one or both may or may not also be corrupted...

In any case, many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and advice. I have read a bit about using Ubuntu as a rescue disk repair utility. Maybe it is time to do some more reading, and set up my own Ubuntu disk.

I've been involved with PC's, and Apple's also, since I started selling the equipment as part of an industrial precision measurement/statistical analysis arrangement in 1981. But the industry, software and equipment evolves so rapidly that it becomes daunting to stay current. Help such as yours is most appreciated.

I believe that you have set me on the course to make some changes, however tedious they may be.

Many thanks, and have a happy holiday season.

With much gratitude,

Joel <>

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 5:15 PM PST

No corruption, I think. Just the fact that there are 2 'administrator' levels in Windows 7.
The normal one, so to say, is the one you login to, so you're able to install programs, make other users etcetera, just like in Windows XP. It's the one you make in Control Panel.

And there's the 'level 2' level that, even for normal administrator has to be acquired on run-time, either by saying "yes" to the prompt you mention or by choosing "run as administrator" from the right click menu when running the program.
For example, if you run Treesize Free (a very useful program, by the way) when logged in as administrator, all works fine, and you see the contents of all profiles of your PC, but as soon as it encounters the System Volume Information it gives up, more or less, and asks if you want to run the program "as administrator". Say yes, and it starts over.

It's possible (I have no time to check now) that you can turn off these messages by disabling UAC. Worth a try. But I accept it, because I find UAC in Windows 7 a useful security tool, which outweights the hassle of answering that prompt.

Collapse -
2 Levels of SysAdmin in Win7
by joelb662 / December 15, 2012 12:53 PM PST
In reply to: Yep.

Dear Kees,

Thank you for the tip about Treesize Free. I will read and investigate.

It seems that disabling UAC puts the hold on the popup meesages you refer to, since I diabled UAC shortly after setting up with Win7, and have not since seen such messages. I just found UAC too intrusive and time-consuming.

I will see what I can do to re-establish control by setting up the second level "SysAdmin" as you suggest.

I appreciate your help. Thanks much for your time.

Have a good holiday.

Joel <>

Collapse -
The 'second level' can't be setup.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 7:15 PM PST

It just is there, defined by Microsoft.

Anyway, I have to agree with Bob about the necessity of having a spare administrator account, just in case something happens with the one you normally use. If you give it a password, be sure that you still can find it if you ever (could be never, could be in 2 years, could be tomorrow) need it.

Collapse -
Second Level SysAdmin Setup - Or Failure thereof...
by joelb662 / December 15, 2012 11:42 PM PST

Kees, (and Bob)

Having already thanked you for your assistance, I must now thank you again for saving me the time I would have wasted attempting to "set-up" second level SysAdmin privileges. This is beginning to sound more and more like Dean Wormser in 'Animal House,' declaring the Tri-Delts were henceforth under "Double Secret Disciplinary Probation."

If you will forgive me my rant - I have said it before to the point of being highly disrespectful and extremely tiresome..... I HATE MICROSOFT -- I HATE BILL GATES -- I HATE ALL THE MINIONS OF HIS EVIL EMPIRE WHO CREATE INCOMPREHENSIBLE AND IMMUTABLE SITUATIONS WITH WHICH NO ONE CAN DEAL..... JUST SUFFER!!

The only problem is, I hated Steve Jobs even more!! So smart..... he caused his own premature death!! And Apple hardware is, and always was, outrageously priced. The system, overall, may be better than PC open architecture, but who can afford it???

OK.... sorry about that.... I will now return to my little hole in the wall, and ruminate further on how I will have to deal with this situation. I am grateful to you both, Bob and Kees, for your help.

Thanks again, Joel

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 12:17 AM PST

Be safe!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.