TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Syntax Olevia TV's

by billzfan4life / September 28, 2006 2:27 AM PDT

Are the Syntax Olevia TVs any good? I've heard mixed reviews and i was thinking about buying them.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Syntax Olevia TV's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Syntax Olevia TV's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Syntax Olevia TV's
by jcrobso / September 28, 2006 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Syntax Olevia TV's

They are relatively new company to the US.
The reason for the mixed reviews is that they are a work in progress. I have seen a few of them, I think they are OK for the price. John

Collapse -
37" LCD
by ronaldmorrisseau / September 28, 2006 7:36 AM PDT

I've had one for about a year and thinks it's great. No problems and as good a picture as I have seen on any of the LCDs.The price was what got me into it. Well worth it.

Collapse -
reviews from a friend
by bderou2 / September 29, 2006 5:40 PM PDT

I dont' have one of those TVs yet, but my best friend does. He raves by it! He said that it was well worth the money he paid, and more, since the price is what hooked him originally. But the quality is much better than that!

I plan on getting one probably this year sometimes

Collapse -
(NT) 95% of consumer reviews are very positive!
by alanhkk / September 29, 2006 8:51 PM PDT

I bought a 37" through Radio Shack almost exactly a year ago for the baseball playoffs after doing a ton of research. The TV is amazing at any price, but the prices are astounding, too - at least $500 less than so called Name Brands. It has more inputs than you can ever imagine using, especially if you have a Audio/Video reciever. In fact, the sound processing on the TV is so darn good, you wouldn't be forced to buy a separate AV receiver - you could just use the TV to handle it all. You would not have to use the attached speakers either. The picture is consistent and with some easy adjustment it can achieve true blacks so there's nothing lost compared to plasma. All of the user reviews are through the roof, too. It's a little scary taking a chance on an unknown brand with a thousand dollars, but the other reviewers really helped me take the leap last year. I believe Syntax/Olevia now has some sort or arrangment with Hitachi. I think the LCD screens have always beeen made by Hitachi, too. The only drawbacks to these TVs is the lame remote, no HDMI input and no ability to change the onscreen name of the inputs. Almost everyone uses some other multi-function remote, anyway, so that's no biggie. It does have DVI,SVGA,Component,Composite, RF and S-Video inputs (several).

Collapse -
sweet!
by billzfan4life / September 29, 2006 11:31 PM PDT

i cant wait to get my 23" lcd tv from olevia!! i am gonna get the new 23" model bc i heard the old one wasnt hd ready but any way thanks for the supprt Grin

Collapse -
232V pc hookup
by riverfox54 / March 30, 2008 11:42 PM PDT

Hi I have a 232Vand hooked up a vga cable to my laptop,sony vaio got nothing what am i doing wrong, Thanks

Collapse -
Love my 26" Olevia...
by Jivedaddy / September 30, 2006 12:28 PM PDT

I purchased a 26" here in Nashville right after tax season in '06. I picked it up on sale for $499 and have been super happy with it.

I have Comcast cable, PS2, and PC hooked up to it. The PC is hooked up to the DVI, comcast to the cable hookup, and the PS2 to component jacks. All work great.

My only complaint is the color. I wish it came with some skins or something. I'm not big on black on my white wall. I'd rather it blend in when off.

Overall, I'd def. buy this again, in fact I'm considering picking one up for my main PC monitor upstairs. It has a 8ms response time and 1600:1 contrast setting, not bad for five bills!

JD

Collapse -
Love my 26'' Olevia...
by Jivedaddy / September 30, 2006 12:29 PM PDT

I purchased a 26'' here in Nashville right after tax season in '06. I picked it up on sale for $499 and have been super happy with it.

I have Comcast cable, PS2, and PC hooked up to it. The PC is hooked up to the DVI, comcast to the cable hookup, and the PS2 to component jacks. All work great.

My only complaint is the color. I wish it came with some skins or something. I'm not big on black on my white wall. I'd rather it blend in when off.

Overall, I'd def. buy this again, in fact I'm considering picking one up for my main PC monitor upstairs. It has a 8ms response time and 1600:1 contrast setting, not bad for five bills!

JD

Collapse -
I've got 2 -- they are great
by jeroethel / September 30, 2006 9:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Love my 26'' Olevia...

Have a 37" -- paid about 1700 in early 2005. Have a DVD player, an Xbox and HD cable hooked up. This spring I bought one for the office -- 32" for 700 from buy.com. (Don't pay extra for quick shipping -- stuff still showed up in 2 days, not 7-9) Couldn't pass up the price -- I'll be ready when HD comes to work Happy

BTW, saw my first Olevia tv ad this week. This brand is highly recommended -- can't beat the price.

Collapse -
0levia LCD TV Model # 332
by 351hemi / December 28, 2006 8:19 AM PST

in response to the question regarding olevia tv quality. i bought one from comp usa. they had a $450 rebate and i got it at 550.00 plus tax. the rebate was a little bogus as you can find these usually in the 6 - 7 hundred dollar range if you look. my recommendation is: if you have cable or satellite hook up BUY THIS tv. it does not have a tuner but you dont need it if you are just using it to wacth tv or play movies. you usually pay $100 plus for the tuner when if you have cable or satellite, SURPISE the cable and sat box have the tuner. the picture is top notch , for the money , and trust me if something is worth it i pay the price no matter what the cost . in this case the picture is without a doubt the best. the sound is crap but i run mine through my home theater anyway. im done.

Collapse -
Olevia
by bevillan / March 30, 2008 11:54 PM PDT

Olevias seem to be on the same tier as Westinghouse. Cheap, but good quality for the price. And since the quality for the price is very attractive most of the customer reviews are favorable.

I like my name brands (Sony, Panny, Pioneer), but when I buy a smaller HDTV for my bedrooms someday I will definitely be looking to save some money and get a mid-level LCD like an Olevia or Westinghouse.

Collapse -
Olevia Inputs: No HDMI??
by Dan Filice / March 31, 2008 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Olevia

I will need to buy a 40" LCD for my bedroom soon and I've thought about Olevia and a few others, BUT I read an earlier post in this thread about the Olevia "doesn't have an HDMI input". What the ??? If this TV does not have HDMI inputs, it's useless to accomodate the current connection for Blu-Ray and other HD devices. Someone tell me this TV does have HDMI.

Collapse -
HDMI
by bevillan / March 31, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

Surely some Olevia TVs have HDMI inputs. I don't think any respectable HDTV being made right now doesn't have any.

Collapse -
Bought a 30 inch
by Rollbar / March 31, 2008 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI

to use as a monitor for PC. Works great. Had one pixel go out but otherwise very good value.

The pricing is a tactic for their marketing strategy I believe. Remember when Lexus first appeared on the market? You could get the top of the line sedan (loaded LS400) for under $40K. Huge value. Now that top LS model is twice that price. You establish market share then tweak pricing. I suspect Olevia (Syntax) is doing the same thing, (although prices in general have dropped across the board in televisions).

Gary

Collapse -
232v does
by riverfox54 / April 3, 2008 2:41 AM PDT

my 232v has HDMI, rca,s-video,coax,vga,usb, plenty to use.

Collapse -
IN A WORD "NO"
by Riverledge / April 3, 2008 3:40 PM PDT

AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY IT "VIZIO" PLASMAs ARE A DECENT THIRD TIER
OPTION THESE DAYS.

WAY AHEAD OF OLEVIA, WESTINGHOUSE, POLAROID, and other recycled brand names. If in doubt always ask the forum; we may not be right but we are honest.

Best shopping,

Riverledge.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.