Samsung forum

Question

SyncMaster T220HD - Capacitors?

by Fugzarog / December 20, 2012 9:42 PM PST

Hi.

Like many other users I have a problem with the TV which won't turn on immediately, but requires countless inputs before finally turning on. I've made some research, and I'm almost certain that it's a capacitor problem like the one experienced by far too many other customers.

Leaving aside the rants, now I want to try and fix this issue by replacing the capacitors of my TV with some other, better capacitors, or at least some equally strong capacitors but that would actually do their job.

I can't find the manual of the TV though, so I ask: does anybody know the capacitors specifics of this model? It's a 22 inches TV, the model is the one written in the topic title (SyncMaster T220HD). If other info is necessary I'll provide it of course. So what I'd like to know is: which capacitors does this model have? Which capacitors should I use to replace them?

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SyncMaster T220HD - Capacitors?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SyncMaster T220HD - Capacitors?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's not a matter of "strong".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 1:42 AM PST

The capacitor plague was not a problem of the rating or voltage but a foul up by a company ripping off the electrolyte design.

You can replace them with the same rating. How to identify is easy and there is no way I can tell you which ones.

Here's how to identify -> http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

Please read http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=4 to update your story about this industry wide issue.
Bob

Collapse -
by Fugzarog / December 21, 2012 3:30 AM PST

That clears some things up, thanks.

So I can just replace the capacitors with similar ones with the exact same values and be done with it, right?

Though I still have the problem: how do I know which are the values of my capacitors? Will I see these values when I open my TV, like, say, I see these values written on the capacitors themselves?

Collapse -
Yes. I see you've got the right idea now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

The values are on the caps. For electrolytics I've rarely found them missing. If so I look for another one nearby that is readable and matches the one I couldn't read in color, shape, size, leads. Your seasoned tech will do that.

Your new tech will go get the service manual.

There is some leeway to the ratings as most electrolytic caps have very wide tolerances such as -20 to +100% for a simple reason is they are bulk decoupling devices for power. The voltage however you can't be as generous. If I have a 10 Volt cap, I can safely replace it with any 10 to 200+ Volt cap. I can't reduce that voltage! As to capacity, I want it close to a little more. If I had to replace a 1000uF 10V cap and I had a 1200uF 16V cap, I'm good.

Sure there's more but then we're into engineering talk.
Bob

Collapse -
Thx
by Fugzarog / December 21, 2012 5:28 AM PST

Thanks, that helped. Now I "only" have to actually do it eheh.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.