PC Hardware forum

Question

SyncMaster S24B750V making static noise and sound desappears

by zermetki / March 17, 2013 3:42 AM PDT

My problems are two:
1)When connecting via HDMI (ie. PS3 or PC), from the moment I turn them on, the monitor starts making a static noise. At first it was really low, barely noticeable, but last couple of months it got really loud. Even if the monitor's volume is at 1 or 100 the noise stays the same, and the only way to make it stop is to put it at 0.
2)When sound is playing and it gets really low, it disappears. When using headphones, I can notice a noise like if it got turn off and then on when the sound gets loud again. If I put both the PC and the monitor at high volumes this doesn't happen.

Right now my monitor is at the Samsung repair center, but the guys over there say they cannot hear any noise. They even asked for the HDMI cable and I send them the two I tryed, but insist that there is nothing wrong. They even said that, if any, that noise is common in any appliance, giving as example the one that refrigerators do (!?).

I'm despperate! What could the problems be so that I ask them to replace those parts?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SyncMaster S24B750V making static noise and sound desappears
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SyncMaster S24B750V making static noise and sound desappears
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly you need to reconsider it as a sound source.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 5:25 AM PDT
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/office/monitors/led/LS24B750VS/ZA shows an audio output that I would use to see if the sound is just on the speakers or at all points.

But there is a clue in your post. There is a reason why Samsung set their TVs to have -> fixed level audio output <-

Why? Because if someone was not savvy about how things work they might set the audio out too low and then amplify that and then complain about noise in the sound. So again, try it with the output of the PC on high and control the volume with the monitor.
Bob
Collapse -
Sound source?
by zermetki / March 17, 2013 6:44 AM PDT

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry, I forgot to add that clearly: When connecting headphones, the noise in the speakers disappears, but appears in the headphones.

The first problem appears whenever the monitor volume is 1 or more, even with the PC on mute. The second does when both the PC and the monitor are in low volumes (ie. 20) so the way to "fix" that has been turning the volume up. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
both the PC and the monitor are in low volumes (ie. 20)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound source?

Sorry if I was not clear.

Samsung in their TV lines -> fixed <- the audio level to avoid troubles that we expect when the output is low and we amplify it.

Get the PC up in the 50 to 100% mark and use the monitor to bring it down.
Bob

Collapse -
Already tried
by zermetki / March 17, 2013 7:09 AM PDT

Both puting the volume higer on the PC, lower in the monitor and backwards stays the same static noise. The problem about playing a sound file and it disappearing is the only thing that gets "fixed" if the volume fron the PC or the monitor are at a high level, but as I then to use it at nights it's something really annoying: having loud static noise always and sound disapearing (the sound, but not te noise) it's a sure headache.

Collapse -
Then we have to forget speakers and that display audio.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Already tried

Unless the monitor gets fixed you need to use the audio output of the PC.

Again, this would not use HDMI for audio. Instead we go old school and use the analog output of the PC to either the display and failing that, some headphone or amplified speaker set.
Bob

Collapse -
Any idea of where could the problem be?
by zermetki / March 17, 2013 7:21 AM PDT

As I said, at the repair center they're like "there's nothing wrong that we can find", so I'm looking for where could the problem lay and ask them to change those parts (because they refuse to give me a new one). Any final suggestions?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 8:41 AM PDT

But it appears it's something that happens with your PC and that display. They likely tested it with their computers and it was fine.

By not using the display's audio, we can keep the display and move forward.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Thought about this a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 2:29 AM PDT

Tell me EXACTLY the make, model, age and every tiny detail about the HDMI cables. I'm not saying that's the issue but and scratching for the last possible issue here. Again, I am not writing it's the cable or anything else.

And again, unless you can get Samsung to see/hear the issue they will say it's fine. That's why I'd make plans to use the display as a monitor and use something else for sound.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.