Mac OS forum

General discussion

syncing machines

by Wimm7 / September 19, 2010 3:55 AM PDT

I have a MBP 2.16 ghz core2duo leopard 10.5.8, which I use mainly for schoolwork(I'm a teacher), recently I bought an Imac G5(tiger10.4) so I would have more space on my desk, I tried to move files etc. over to the iMac (firewire) and found out that newer software does not transfer to an older version and I ordered an install DVD to put leopard on the iMac, can I use the migration option to get files over to the iMac after the leopard install or do I have to update leopard first to get it at the same level as my MBP?

Thanks for your help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: syncing machines
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: syncing machines
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your iMac G5 will never be on the same level as the MBP.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 19, 2010 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: syncing machines

The difference is in the processors. Intel on the MBP and PPC on the iMac.

All is not lost though, your files (data that you created yourself like word documents, photos, music, spreadsheets, etc. ) will make the journey reasonably well.

Applications, on the other hand, will not always make the trip successfully. This is because the code is different for an Intel machine than it is for the PPC machine.
Some software is Universal Binary, which means it will run on either machine, but a lot of software is not written exclusively for the Intel processor. (Makes sense as Apple no longer sell any machines with PPC processors.

That said, there is a distinct possibility that a lot of your applications will run on the G5.
Migration assistant will move everything that can run, over to the G5 but does not always get it completely right.

Upgrade the G5 to 10.5.8 first and then try the move. If there is nothing worth saving on the G5, erase the drive and install 10.5.8 and then follow the Migration Assistants directions at first boot up.

Collapse -
Getting it close to right
by Wimm7 / September 19, 2010 10:47 AM PDT

After I erase the hard drive on the G5 and install leopard, the install is 10.5.2 and not 10.5.8 (yet) will migration assistant still work? (since the target os is at a lower level)

The biggest concern is to get all my files and programs to run on the G5 the same way as I have it on the MBP, I mainly use iWorks for the files, so I do not see a problem there, just getting them moved over(and working/recognizing) is where I feel worrisome or should I sell the G5 and look for an Intel based iMac and if I do that, will I still have the challenge with moving everything before leopard is 10.5.8?

Collapse -
Yes, the migration assistant will work,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 19, 2010 9:56 PM PDT

even though you have two different versions of the OS.

With the Migration Assistant, assuming you check all the boxes for all the accounts, will leave you with a machine that is laid out exactly the same as the MBP, right down to the icon placements.

As for selling the G5, they were not the best iMacs that Apple produced but if you have a good one it will last for a long time.

Go ahead and do the install and migration, you have nothing to lose even if you decide to look for an Intel iMac further down the road.

Let us know how you got on

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.