iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Syncing computer to iPad

by philbkr / December 21, 2013 2:04 AM PST

Operating system: Windows Vista, iPad software up to date.

I am unable to complete a normal sync - get this error message:
"iTunes was unable to load provider data from Sync Services."
I click OK, syncing then begins, appears to complete Step 2 (getting diagnostic information) and then quits.
I've had no luck with the Apple Support community so thought I'd try here. Thanks for any help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Syncing computer to iPad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Syncing computer to iPad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you check prior discussions marked as solved or solution
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2013 2:13 AM PST

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Additional info
by philbkr / December 21, 2013 2:11 AM PST

Forgot to indicate that I have the iPad 2.

Collapse -
Answer
Sync iPad
by Carol2020 / December 21, 2013 9:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Information
by philbkr / December 21, 2013 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Sync iPad

Thanks, Carol, for the info - but that iPod/iPhone/iPad Manager file only goes one way, from device to computer so it will not export files to the device. At least I've gotten to the point where the photo sync (my main concern) will start but quits after photo #4 and the sync ceases.

Collapse -
Keep in mind
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2013 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: Information

There is limited detail to work with here. However those new antivirus suites with "privacy guard" features are known to interfere. There are a lot of reasons for this failure and support is going to be iffy via a forum as we can't see it all or know the owner used something from uniblue/iobit or other "cleaners."
Bob

Collapse -
Bob is right
by Pepe7 / December 23, 2013 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: Information

Short of starting from scratch with a clean OS and iTunes, it can be tough to diagnose sometimes. <thinking in="" the="" double="" digits="" now="" about="" how="" many="" times="" i've="" been="" frustrated="" w="" itunes="" of="" all="" shapes="" sizes="" os.=""> Throw in the hot mess called 'Vista', and all bets are off unfortunately IME ;(.

My advice? If none of the forum suggestions Bob linked to do the trick, then you do need to start from scratch. Just manually backup everything first on a large external drive. Yes, it's a pain, but with the bloat of iTunes, necessary more frequently than we would like.

Once that's done (after the New Year's hangover, probably), do what we do in my house full of iOS devices. Use iCloud(!) Rarely if ever should it be necessary to back up to iTunes/connect to a PC/Mac when you can sync the whole shebang to the cloud over your wifi broadband connection. Sunday night is iCloud backup night for me Wink The following site will teach you how to navigate the 30 day (etc.) PhotoStream limitations, and it refers to the workaround in great detail. More than many other sites do, AFAIK. You may however need to increase the amount of storage though ($).

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how-to-understand-and-work-with-your-icloud-photo-stream</thinking>
<thinking in="" the="" double="" digits="" now="" about="" how="" many="" times="" i've="" been="" frustrated="" w="" itunes="" of="" all="" shapes="" sizes="" os.="">
</thinking>
<thinking in="" the="" double="" digits="" now="" about="" how="" many="" times="" i've="" been="" frustrated="" w="" itunes="" of="" all="" shapes="" sizes="" os.="">Let us know if you need any additional assistance.

</thinking>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.