PC Applications forum

General discussion

Synchronizing Outlook Express on laptop with desktop

by KChin / October 31, 2004 8:34 AM PST

I just purchased a laptop computer. I have a wireless network in my house and would like to synchronize my laptop with my desktop and vice versa (for Outlook Express). I would like the easiest way possible (preferably automatically)...much like my PDA/phone with my computer. Any programs out there that you folks can suggest? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Synchronizing Outlook Express on laptop with desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Synchronizing Outlook Express on laptop with desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Synchronizing Outlook Express on laptop with desktop
by glb613 / October 31, 2004 7:17 PM PST

What are you trying to do?

Collapse -
by KChin / November 2, 2004 11:50 PM PST

I guess I wasn't clear. I want to be able to collect and send email using Outlook Express on both my laptop and desktop, BUT I want both to be in synch. In other words, if I collect email on my laptop, I would want this to show up in my inbox on both laptop and desktop...much like how my PDA synch's with my desktop PC. Thanks.

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 3, 2004 7:52 AM PST

I'm not sure if you can do that. Check with your ISP and see if you have the option of leaving the mail on the server as new. Otherwise, once that mail has been downloaded to one computer, it is no longer considered new or unread mail.

Are your computers networked? You might be able to save the e-mail in a shared folder that each computer can access.

Collapse -
by robwafle / November 17, 2004 7:35 PM PST

Did you ever figure this out? I want to do the same thing.

Thanks!!

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 17, 2004 8:41 PM PST

I read an article in PC Magazine about a service you can use to perform this task. Check it out.

Collapse -
by KChin / November 17, 2004 11:39 PM PST

I'm afraid not.

Collapse -
by snee / November 30, 2004 9:45 PM PST

this works so long as you don't try accessing form both locations at once. open regedit and browse to the key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{letter/number combo here}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]

in the right pane, find the "Store Root" key and modify it to show a shared location (use the format: \\servername\sharedfolder)

make sure this is set on both machines, and outlook express will always store and read mails form this location.

of course, always backup your registry before altering values.

i did this tweak at work on a lan and realised that simultaneous access corrupts the mailboxes - a single user accessing from only one of two places at once should be fine tho

Collapse -
Creating duplicate Outlook Expresses on two machines
by ladderless / January 4, 2005 11:19 PM PST

This isn't perfect, but it will work. You can use your email server(s) as the synchronization tool.

It requires you to check you email via both computers at least every 10 days (depending on what you set).

Simply set up each computer's Outlook Express to collect email, and on the account settings, set it to leave a copy of the mail on the server, and set it to delete the mail once every X days -- the period during which you will need to go to the other computer to check the email. You will end up with all your email on both computers.

As far as your sent email, for each email you send out, send a BCC to yourself. Set up a rule for incoming mail, where it places any mail sent from yourself in the "sent mail" folder... You won't be able to tell the difference between mail sent from that computer or the other one.

There are a few minor drawbacks (like not being able to flag mail as read, and having a bit of a email backlog on your server), but it is probably the easiest way to get all your email on both machines.

Collapse -
Synchronizing Outlook Express on laptop with desktop
by mdosanjh / January 28, 2005 1:25 AM PST

Have you thought of using your PDA to synchronise the machines?

If you synchronise with the desktop then with the laptop and then again with the desktop, then all three machines are synchronised...er... maybe?

Manjit Dosanjh

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.