Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Sync Windows Live Mail Between Computers

by rastyng / August 15, 2009 12:41 AM PDT

Is it possible to sync Windows Live Mail between my computers so that when I open Windows Live Mail on each of the computers it looks EXACTLY the same? That is, so that I have the same emails in my unread e-mail, the same e-mails in each of my separate accounts that follow under my unread e-mail, and the same contacts, on two or more of my personal computers? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sync Windows Live Mail Between Computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sync Windows Live Mail Between Computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sync Windows Live Mail Between Computers Possible Solution
by neildexter / August 15, 2009 8:40 PM PDT

All I know on how to do this is when you have read a message on 1 PC it automatically turns it to read status. In order for it to stop doing this you have to stop it from doing so.

To do this go to:

Options ==> Read

Untick the 'Mark message read after displaying for 1 secod.'

Then what you have to do to mark it as 'read' is right click the email & click 'Mark as read.'

I think to keep them synced you also have to the following:

Go to:

Options ==> General

Ensure that 'Check for new messages every 30 seconds' is ticked but change the 30 seconds to 1 second.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Sync Windows Live Mail Between Computers
by rastyng / August 18, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

I'm afraid this didn't work. If I open my Windows Live Mail on one computer, and allow it to download new messages, even if I don't open/read them, they will not download on another computer.

Are there folders on each computer where these Windows Live Mail e-mails are kept, so that I could sync those folders?

BTW, the shortest interval for having Windows Live Mail check for new messages in one MINUTE, not one second (at least on my computers).

Thanks again in advance

Collapse -
Having the same problem
by intanet / August 30, 2009 11:34 PM PDT

I contacted WLMD and they told me to hit the "sync everything" button but it only worked once. Doesn't work now. I recently installed WLMD 2009. Don't know if that's the reason why it won't work now. I have to manually delete messages each time I put on my laptop and have to be careful not to delete something I want. Drives me crazy. Anyhow, I can tell you where the folder is that WLMD keeps the email accounts in Windows XP. If you have Vista, I can't help you there. Don't know what you mean about syncing the folders but you can locate your accounts there and their folders at least.
You will have to type in your Windows user name where I put the capitals.
Here is the path in XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Leave a copy of messages on server...
by eegorr / May 26, 2010 11:01 AM PDT

There is no easy way to sync the mail folders that I know of, but if you want to download the same email to more than one computer, just go into the properties for your email account (Tools/Accounts/Properties). At the bottom of the settings page under the "advanced" tab you will find delivery options:

Click the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on server" and "Remove from server after xx days" (set the number of days to something reasonable, like 7-10, in case you are away and unable to update on one or the other computer.

If you like, you can click the box next to "Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items" - that way if you delete email (and empty the deleted items folder) on one computer, the deleted email will not be downloaded to the other computer.

Do this for both computers and you should be set.

BTW, this works for Outlook Express, Windows Mail (Vista), and Windows Live Mail.

Collapse -
I'm afraid the answer is NO.
by Kees Bakker / August 30, 2009 11:40 PM PDT

That's why they invented WEBMAIL.
Some of us prefer the good old download (pop3 protocol) to their PC. No problem.
Some others want to sync PC's while keeping pop3. Big problem.

See if your mail provider supports IMAP. That might help (not sure about it, never used it).

Kees

Collapse -
IMAP is not the answer
by mecurtis / October 26, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

I use IMAP. It will give you the means to see all the mail in your webmail box as well as pop accounts. BUT as I understand the gentleman's question it had nothing to do with receiving the mail from various sources but synching how he handles the mail ... the folders he puts them in etc. So when he goes to another computer the results of responding to and sorting/handling yesterday's mail on his desktop appear in the same folders on his laptop. There is no way to do that that I know of but like him I would LOVE it!
Unless I add custom folders it would seem live mail could do this as it autmomatcially sets up a standard set of folders and could sync those folders across the net much as live mesh does. Live mesh does not integrate into live mail so that in itself is not the answer.

Collapse -
Syncing
by hexrunner / November 28, 2010 9:51 AM PST

The only solution I've found to this issue (as I'm have the same situation you do) is something that I only do about once a week. In Windows live mail, you can set up an export of all or selected mail folders. I put the export into a temp folder and then do the same with my laptop. Afterwards, it's just a matter of importing all that info into the other computer while they are networked together.

Not the greatest of solutions and slightly time consuming (the export takes about 5-10 mins followed by import time - luckily you can do both computers exports at the same time and then import at the same time on both) but the only thing I've found so far. Unfortunately, leaving the messages on the server doesn't work. I USED to do it this way but for some reason now, if I DL a message to one computer, the other one WILL NOT get it even though it is left unread on the server.

Collapse -
SOLUTION TO SYNCING PROBLEM
by mc1soft / October 17, 2011 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Syncing

If you are still having this problem, here is the solution. I have verified it by syncing between webmail, 2009 version of Windows Live Mail (WLM), and 2011 version of WLM. I did this first using hotmail, and then using a private IMAP email account on one of my domain hosts. It works just as you request, automatically! There are several points, however, at which one might have problems:

1. In WLM, you cannot change a POP3 account (the default) to an IMAP account. You must delete it and start over, and use manual server configuration, and the settings and ports given by your mail host provider. To avoid losing mail when deleting the account, drag messages to a storage folder, and drag them back when finished.

2. The initial sync is very slow. Might take hours to sync a few thousand messages, such as I have.

3. It only syncs folders in the actual IMAP mail accounts. It does not sync "storage folders." There is no way to sync storage folders which are only on your hard drive and not on the IMAP server, because WLM arbitrarily renames the message files.

4. Some IMAP accounts follow a strange hierarchy. ALL folders are within the INBOX folder! This is not true of Hotmail, but it was true of my private email account. I got an error when trying to create outside the INBOX hierarchy.

5. When I created a new folder using WLM on one computer, it automatically appeared in webmail, and so did any messages that I dragged in there. BUT, the folder would NOT appear on the other computer no matter how much syncing I did, even a "sync everything." I had to create the folder manually on the second computer. When I did that, WLM automatically synchronized it, and the messages appeared. So you have to create the folder hierarchy manually on each computer. This actually could be a "feature" if you don't want all the folders to appear on every computer, for privacy or efficiency reasons.

WARNING! While in most cases WLM seems to actually store copies of messages on all computers, in a few cases it had to retrieve the message from the server when I tried to open it. If anyone has more insight to this, please post a reply, thanks.

Since it syncs the full message with attachments, you can use this like a general records archival and sync, without having a separate account for that.

It took several days to figure this out because I was not familiar with IMAP or WLM. But now I am very happy with it, because it eliminates the manual syncing I was doing on Outlook Express between computers, which I would occasionally mess up. Hope the info is helpful.

Collapse -
POP3 is not default option in WLM
by ks_cr / November 4, 2011 2:21 AM PDT

hi hexrunner, I don't think POP3 is default option in WLM. If we do not wish to manually configure then WLM automatically configures the account with http URL to something called delta sync.

Collapse -
Easy to sync WLM between two computers
by Edge3333 / December 3, 2010 3:38 AM PST

When setting up my WLM on two new Vista computers, I used the following procedure:

1. Create a WLM ID with an "@live.com" ID.
2. Create a Hotmail account using the above "@live.com" ID.
3. Forward email from all external accounts (Cox, Gmail, etc) to the "@live.com" ID address.
4. WLM Email stays synced on both computers and the Hotmail account!

Every time you send/receive on WLM, it will sync the Hotmail account. Then, when you send/receive on another computer, that computer will also sync to the Hotmail account. You can do this on as many computers as you like.

Collapse -
It is not that difficult...
by tinus / April 23, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

I have a desktop that I normally use and a laptop that I use when I travel sometimes - both have Windows 7.
First this: hotmail.com and live.com account synchronize perfectly on both computers - all folders are synchronized and they look exactly the same.
However, for other accounts (yahoo, or my own domain) only the Inbox is updated. All sent or stored message on my desktop won't be visible after I update my laptop.

This is what I did first: from the desktop I exported the 'Windows Live Mail' settings in the registry as WLM.reg and copied them this file the laptop. On the laptop I double-clicked WLM.reg file so the laptop's registry is updated.
Next, from the desktop, I copied the 'Windows Live Mail' folder with all subdirectories and all files to the exact same place on the laptop. This may be done via any medium (USB stick, DVD), but you may also use a network connection. I use ZTree to ensure that I really copy everything - with Windows Explorer you never know...
Fire up Windows live mail on the laptop and it works! You'll see everything as you left it behind on the desktop.

Now, before I travel I set up a drive via the network to the folder on my laptop where my Windows Live Mail resides. Then I compare all files with the ones on my desktop - again I use ZTree (which works fantastic for this, but I am sure that er more programs that can do that). Then I delete all files on the laptop that are unique (not present on the desktop) and all newer files.
Next I compare all files on the desktop with the laptop and then copy over all unique and newer files. Normally within minutes my laptop is identical to my desktop...
I have to say that I also tried this with a laptop that had XP on it - I got one working, but a few others refused to work... I never tried XP<->XP.
It sounds a bit complicated but when you get the hang of it, it's normally a few minutes work.
Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.