Phones forum

General discussion

Sync'ing my BB with my Thunderbird calendar and Contacts

by DerfX / March 3, 2011 3:35 PM PST

Hey all, If anyone ever figures out how to directly sync a Blackberry Curve to Thunderbird w/Lightning WITHOUT using Google, I will gladly pay money for the answer.

I am still not ready to put my contacts "on the cloud" because I don't think it is fair to everyone in my contact list to have their information exposed on the Internet where some hacker or even a tech can access their information.

Patiently waiting and have a great day!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sync'ing my BB with my Thunderbird calendar and Contacts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sync'ing my BB with my Thunderbird calendar and Contacts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, a little more info might help
by DerfX / March 3, 2011 3:38 PM PST

I'm running Windows 7 - 64bit

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2011 12:26 PM PST

I know of only one other way. Sync it with Outlook then sync outlook with thunderbird (see google for how.)

I hear you, but RIM needs to answer this too.
Bob

Collapse -
Too Cheap
by DerfX / March 5, 2011 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

I bought MS Office 2000 many moons ago and used it all the way up until I bought this new laptop with Windows 7/64bit. I haven't decided that I need to spend that much money again when OpenOffice works so well.

Hence, my use of Thunderbird. I really like Thunderbird but it really sucks not being able to sync my contacts and calendar without sharing them with the world. But "Thank You" for the reply.

Collapse -
Just a link about BB software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2011 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: Too Cheap
Collapse -
Thank You
by DerfX / March 7, 2011 8:28 AM PST

I'll check it out.

Collapse -
Still too expensive
by DerfX / March 7, 2011 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You

Would you believe, wife works for a big insurance company and they gave her a link to download and install Office 2010 for ten bucks. Yep, $10.00

But I am so proud to have a computer with not one single byte of illegal software on it so I didn't copy it. Plus, it may not activate anyway and I don't want to get her in trouble either. It came with this really weird stipulation that if she ever quits, she has to delete it. I wonder how the heck they are going to enforce that.

Collapse -
I have an idea
by DerfX / March 22, 2011 7:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Still too expensive

I don't think I would be breaking any copy-right laws ifIi synced my Blackberry to my wife's computer. She has a legal copy of Office 2010 and maybe I could create a special address book in it for me. Then sync my Blackberry to that and then sync my Thunderbird to her Outlook. Sounds good in therory anyway.

Collapse -
Still not sure...
by DerfX / March 27, 2011 7:11 PM PDT

I haven't figured out a way to create a separate address book in my wife's Office 2010 Outlook. So I still don't know how I'm going to sync my Blackberry with the Thunderbird on my computer.

The calendar is one thing, that would be nice to sync but the real pain is my "Contacts". As time goes on, my contact lists keep getting additions, either to my Blackberry or my Thinderbird. And when my wife asks for and address, I end up having to search through both of them separately. Kind of a pain.

But I still don't want to upload all my contact info to the cloud as in Yahoo or Google. It's not that I need to hide anything but I just don't think it's right for "me" to share all my friend's contact info with the cloud that could eventually get hacked or accessed but those that my friends wouldn't appreciate.

I wish RIM would get it's act together and allow a sync to Thunderbird.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.