Phones forum

General discussion

Sync email, contacts and calendar with WM 6.5 (HTC HD2)

by philtrick / November 15, 2009 8:38 AM PST

Hi,
Just got my new HTC HD2, my first Windows Mobile phone.
I've been trying to setup the phone so that it syncs in real time the email, contacts and calendar with my hotmail account.
After lots of frustration it doesn't seem to be possible (in any easy way). I can sync the phone via Outlook on my PC but not over the air.
The WM Outlook seems to be missing the plug-in that's available for Outlook desktop edition.

My only solution seems to be to move to GMail which supports Activesync integration i.e. it emulates an Exchange Server.
I've tried setting this up and after some pain it 'seems' to work perfectly i.e. push email (with all my sub folders), contacts and calendar are all both way sync'd in near real time with GMail.
I also setup a temporary forward from hotmail to gmail to test.

Before I fully commit to moving over to Gmail can anyone suggest an alternative (preferably free!) way of FULL (email, contacts and calendar) over the air sync with my Hotmail account.
Is there someone who provides a hosted Exchange type service that can proxy my hotmail account, so I can Activesync with that?

It seems strange that gmail provides better integration with WM then hotmail. Should I be surprised Happy

HELP, before I move over to the Google side just before MS sort this out.

Thanks Phil

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sync email, contacts and calendar with WM 6.5 (HTC HD2)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sync email, contacts and calendar with WM 6.5 (HTC HD2)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd move away and get distance from
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2009 10:36 AM PST

Hotmail is soon to be no more. Maybe it will sputter along for awhile but it is time to move on.

Collapse -
Full sync still not working with Hotmail.
by philtrick / November 15, 2009 6:36 PM PST

I've seen a few posts saying hotmail is going away, but I've not seen any hard evidence to back this comment up.
Regardless it doesn't help me with my mobile sync :-|

Collapse -
Here's the help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2009 9:13 PM PST

Move to what works. I know you didn't find the death notice for hotmail but MSFT is putting all its efforts into it's Live email and products.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi Phil.
by eDgEz / November 17, 2009 5:51 AM PST

I too had this exact problem and it was driving me around the bend!
After much frustration and hair pulling i stumbled across a website where someone had a similar problem also, but with the Touch PRO. Luckily he had a solution with windows 6.5. The sense UI has masked some settings so after playing around somewhat i came to the solution.
It appears to be a proxy issue in some form or another.
Follow these steps exactly.

1)Start
2)Settings
3)Press the Menu on the right hand soft key
4)All Settings
5)Connections
6)Connections (again)
7)Click on "Set up my proxy server"
8)Un-tick "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet" (make a note of the existing proxy address, as unticking this box will also clear the address field!)
9)OK

That should be it.....I hope it works for everyone else.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Mark

Collapse -
I think there's some confusion
by philtrick / November 17, 2009 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Phil.

Hi eDgEz,

I don't know why I would want to change the settings you're suggesting.
I have no problem with internet access. The problem I have is with trying to sync the phones contacts and calendar with Hotmail or for that matter any MS based webmail. MS's solution seems to be via a tethered update to Outlook- so you have to manually sync eash day.

My solution for the time being seems to be to use GMail via the phones Activesync. This has been working great for 3 days- full sync of mail, contacts and calendar. Just added a new contact onto the phone, then logged into Gmail and the new contact was there. I'm not too sure how much data is shifting around during the updates, hopefully not enough to break my 500Mb per month fair use limit.

Collapse -
maybe
by eDgEz / November 17, 2009 3:45 PM PST

i too dont have a problem with internet access, and changing those settings didnt affect things either. my problem was syncing through windows live, it wouldn't, although it would over wifi. i changed this setting and i could sync with hotmail though win live and my phone internet connection was uneffected. im guessing it would be the same through outlook, but if not you can always use windows live, or ofcourse gmail Wink

Collapse -
Does the Windows Live provide calendar sync?
by philtrick / November 17, 2009 5:19 PM PST
In reply to: maybe

From what I've read Windows Live cannot sync the calendar on my phone with the my hotmail calendar. This functionality is available with the GMail integration. Is this correct?

Collapse -
hmmm
by eDgEz / November 17, 2009 9:31 PM PST

no, I dont think you can sync the calender. I only use win live to check and reply to mail to which it does it a treat.
have you tried syncing Outlook with this method? does it work? if you make a note of the proxy address then you can always change it back to how it was if if doesn't Happy

Collapse -
Yes to Google Calendar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2009 10:21 PM PST
Collapse -
Final choice- Gmail
by philtrick / November 18, 2009 7:18 AM PST

It looks like it's GMail or nothing. I'd to spend lots of time playing with the phone, but Gmail Activesync does what I want it to do so why waste time.
The activesync works very well, even though it's still in Beta with Gmail.
It's a pity hotmail can't do the same for me.

Thanks for everyones contribution to the thread.

Collapse -
Good one ;)
by Pepe7 / November 18, 2009 12:49 PM PST

Yes, Bob. I believe some folks have heard of the aforementioned 'ms exchange' gizmo (LOL).

cheers,
Pedro

Collapse -
Some days, the internet is a Godsend
by allendixon3 / March 25, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Phil.

Thank you so much, eDgEz, for this fix. I had the same maddening synch-up problems with Hotmail on the HD2 (not a problem on my HTC Touch Diamond, by the way), which worked when I was connected via wi-fi but not over my mobile network. I followed your instructions, de-activated the proxy server box on the T-Mobile connection, and voila, it worked immediately. My HD2 is synching to Hotmail via T-Mobile. This was not a Windows Mobile or Hotmail problem, it was a setup problem between the HD2 and my mobile service that added a proxy address for the ISP when was is not needed.

There is so much utter c**p on the internet, it is truly a pleasure to find someone who knows what he's talking about and that can express himself clearly. Thank you, thank you, thank you, eDgEz.

Collapse -
Win Mob 6.5
by pel;ton / November 25, 2009 9:20 PM PST

I managed to configure my hotmail account with MS outlook on winmo 6.5. Don?t really know how did it, but I guess you need to play around with your instrument for a little longer. And to be honest it doesn?t matter whether you have a fmail account or a hotmail configured as long as push e-mail works smoothly

Collapse -
by rocc76 / November 29, 2009 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Win Mob 6.5

I would work with the simple solution of Gmail. It`s an efficient service. If needed on a one off you could always just access it via the internet.

Collapse -
How to sync google contacts/contacts with WM 5.5 (HTC HD2)
by rknykamp / March 24, 2010 5:58 AM PDT

I have entered information into the exchange account information for google, i.e. server info = "m.google.com" and my email works fine, but no calendar or contacts have worked.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
help
by bsodoma / March 25, 2010 12:13 AM PDT

Hey, I just got the HD2, and can't figure out how to sync with Gmail calendar, in gmail it says to open active sync, and I can't figure it out, can you help?

Bryan

Collapse -
Problem solved on my HD2
by gzarate85 / April 1, 2010 9:17 PM PDT

Ok, so I think you might be having the same issue I was with my new hd2. The problem isn't so much setting up Hotmail, its receiving the emails without having to sync manually and it not recieving emails instantaniously when they come in to your inbox. This was the problem I was having. Here's what I discovered and solved the problem:

1. From home screen tap 'start' on upper left hand corner.
2. tap 'email' icon
3. tap 'menu' at the bottom right hand corner
4. a pop up screen will appear, tap 'options'
5. tap on 'hotmail' or whatever email your having issues with.
6. a list of options will appear, tap on 'sync schedule'
7. a dropdown menu will have several options(it will be currently set to 'manual'), tap on the one that suites your style. If you'd like emails to come in relation with when they hit your actual inbox on the internet select 'as items arrive'
8. lastly, tap 'done' at the bottom left hand corner.

And you should have problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
IT'S OK !!!
by YESANEST / December 27, 2010 1:05 PM PST

REALLY , I HAVE A MOBILE HTC HD2 AND I HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS THAT THE USERS HERE. BUT THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED WITH THE SOLUTION SHOWED BY GZARATE85 !!! IT WAS PERFECT !!! NOW I HAVE A HOTMAIL AND OTHERS EMAILS ON MY DEVICE...JUST ON THE AIR !!! BUT THE BEST IS REALLY THE GMAIL !!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR ALL !!!!

Collapse -
YES PROBLEM IS SOLVED
by ZRThappy / March 11, 2011 4:02 PM PST

THANKS i also took your advise on how to on my HTCHD2
AND CAN YOU BELIEVE IT! yes my hotmail now works.
two months of agony.....thanks to " gzrate85 "

Collapse -
There isn't a GOOD sulution ..
by rcj007 / December 29, 2010 12:46 PM PST

Phil - I've spent a lot of time on this same issue. If you don't have too many contacts AND you you don't make extensive use of the free-form part in the contacts (which allows entering any kinf of info you want for a contact), Window Live or some of the other solutions may work for you. They don't for me, below is my experience ...

Aloha & Happy Holidays from Hawaii,

I am the president of a club. This month I convinced many members to get Window7 Phones - we are returning them. We are all individual users. Now we can't sync ALL of THE INFO in our contacts info from Outlook to their phones (no problem doing it with iPhones).

Below is a message I tried to get to Microsoft with no success ?

This is ridiculous -- we are returning all of our Windows 7 Phones and getting iPhones!! We can easily sync our Outlook contacts to iPhones without any problems!

We tried the Windows Live and some of the other solutions and they are not good. They are convoluted and the limits are way too restrictive.and the free-form field in the contacts (in which you can enter any information you like for a contact) were either eliminated or truncated! On the iPhones it's not only much easier -- everything is there! I have approx 1,600 contacts, some of which have considerable info in the free form part (I don't know what the actual name of this 'field')

How absurd is it that a major Microsoft product can't get along well with the Windows 7 Phone or Windows Live but can with the iPhone!

Also after hours of trying to find ways on the website to communicate with Microsoft -- we experience NOTHING BUT FRUSTRATION -- IT SAYS "TO CONTACT US" AND WE END IN AND ENDLESS LOOP WHICH NEVER LEADS TO A WAY TO CONTACT A HUMAN BEING!

Ron

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.