Computer Help forum

General discussion

Synaptics touchpad/ erratic cursor problem

by knoxrunner07 / May 7, 2009 1:38 AM PDT

My cursor still behaves erratically despite downloads, reinstalls, adjustments, & virus/malware scans--suggestions?

My HP Pavilion dv6704nr notebook is a little over a year old. The Synaptics touchpad was working very well until about two weeks ago. I tinkered with the pointer appearance and things went south. Since then, I've done everything under the sun to fix it, including driver rollbacks and updates from Synaptics and HP, system restores, etc. The cursor becomes more erratic (jumpy, bouncy, less precise) after longer periods of computer use (may be heat related). I've found that when I "reset devices," I can get relief for about one minute--then the cursor shoots up and down the screen--completely out of control! The good news is a cordless mouse has resolved the problem, but the touch pad remains disabled. I would like to enjoy the convenience of a touch pad again. Has anyone resolved this problem or made a conclusive diagnosis? If you were able to resolve the problem, please share. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Synaptics touchpad/ erratic cursor problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Synaptics touchpad/ erratic cursor problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem!
by Naquedon / February 15, 2010 5:13 AM PST

I am having the exact same problem on Toshiba Satellite L300D Running Windows Vista. I have tried everything I can think of. Touchpad is fine for around an hour then suddenly becomes erratic and basically unusable. Did you ever find a solution?

Collapse -
(NT) Tried Installing the Latest Synaptics Driver For Your Comp?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 15, 2010 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem!
Collapse -
Im having the same problem with my toshiba
by sweitzerk / September 26, 2010 9:06 AM PDT

did you ever find a solution

Collapse -
(NT) And You've Installed The Latest Synaptics Driver?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 27, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
And One Other Thought
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 27, 2010 3:06 AM PDT

Open the Control Panel, select the "Mouse" icon, then click on the "Pointer Options" tab, then UNCHECK the box next to "Enhance pointer precision".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
RE: And One More Thought
by waterwild / November 11, 2010 12:48 PM PST
In reply to: And One Other Thought

I have the same problem on a Dell Studio running WIN7.

I tried your suggested fix (in WIN7's control panel, you need to click "Devices and Printers" to get to the Mouse option; not exactly intuitive).

Unchecking "Enhance pointer precision" helped somewhat, but unchecking "Automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialogue box" helped somewhat more.

Still, the pointer jumps around the page periodically (3-4 times while I was typing this response.

Seems the folks at Synaptics need to do some more work on their product -- and manufacturers need to vet their third-party products before hoisting them on the paying public.

Collapse -
Synaptics touchpad problems and pointer precision
by vevola / November 11, 2010 6:05 PM PST

OK, so the deal is that with the Synaptics driver many users have been noticing this type of behavior. Agreed, unchecking "Enhance pointer precision" does help, but pointing becomes so much more troublesome (fix one thing, break another...)

Any work arounds, or updates, that help fix the situation without having to disable precision?

BTW, I usually notice this type of behavior when I have to work with the touchpad buttons and the cursor at the same time (like selecting text or performing a mouse gesture).

Thanks for the support!

PS
Anyone have any news from Synaptics themselves?

Collapse -
I gave up
by MDFlax / November 11, 2010 8:33 PM PST

My Packard Bell laptop has this "trackpad/touchpad" thing and it drove me crazy.

In the end I gave up. I connected a USB mouse and disabled the trackpad.

My dive into insanity has been halted!

Mark

Collapse -
Giving up, too!
by waterwild / November 12, 2010 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: I gave up

Every suggested "fix" (update drivers, disable features, etc.) seem to offer temporary fixes, and before long Synapsis is up to its old tricks. Clearly, the fixes are not available on this board. Will contact Dell to see what they are doing to fix this, and suggest all others to contact their manufacturers.

Collapse -
DELL doesn't care!
by waterwild / November 16, 2010 1:34 PM PST
In reply to: Giving up, too!

It's been almost a week since I sent a message to DELL through their "support" center -- and no response! Just one more reason my next PC will be a MAC!

Collapse -
still no luck
by labradorguy / October 15, 2011 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: And One Other Thought

I tried that but like most toshiba instructions my satellite does not have those options. when I get to pointer opitions, there is no box to uncheck called 'enhance pointer precision" windows 7

Collapse -
partial success - by accident
by labradorguy / October 16, 2011 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: still no luck

Hi all - looks like we're all having similar problems and although synaptic seems to be part of the problem, it seems the vast majority are with toshiba laptops (mine is L505D GS6000) thanks for all the suggestions but most of them center around directions which do not apply to my model - those choices are not there.
however after hours of reading, talking to toshiba, etc I somewhat accidentally stumbled upon a partial fix. at one point I went back to toshiba support, then windows support (that comes with this model), ended up with updates (windows) and saw one I'd never seen before or had updated on its own. since it had "snaptic" in the names, I said what the heck and installed it. much to my surprise it disabled the touchpad, the keyboard jumping stopped, and I just plugged the mouse back in and now it's fine after weeks of getting worse and worse where I couldn't even compose an email.

you might try this. I'm sorry I didn't write it down but will see if I can find it. the real culprit for such a damaging bug is the manufacturer. if we weren't all so busy we should combine forces, send a letter to the ceo, and all sign it. but anyway, see if you can recreate what I did. I can't tell you what a relief it is. I was like the other two commenters who were ready to pull their hair out. and this laptop was halfway to the dump.. good luck!
Fred Lorey

Collapse -
going to toshiba
by conlondaniel / November 15, 2010 6:58 PM PST

exact same problem with my new toshiba satellite t130, so so frustrating. anyway i found that i got temporary releif by closing the lid then openning it again, logging in and for a little while (i did my little trick before starting typing this and by the time i finished the mouse is rooted again) at least the mouse is back to normal...anyway the laptop is going to see toshiba soon so will keep you posted.

Collapse -
fixed
by conlondaniel / November 22, 2010 8:44 PM PST
In reply to: going to toshiba

hi.....finally had this rectified, went to a toshiba service centre and they replaced the touchpad under wanrranty.

Collapse -
Erratic Touchpad?Mouse
by Ronnie_Forrester / January 24, 2011 10:31 PM PST

The Touch Sensitivity slider allows you to adjust how much finger pressure must be applied before the TouchPad responds.

If your pointer is moving or clicking erratically, or you work in an area with high humidity, decrease sensitivity by moving the slider to the right toward Heavy Touch.

Collapse -
fixed my erratic touchpad
by cnriswomack / October 12, 2011 9:50 AM PDT

I realize this is an old post, but I've continued to have a problem with an erratic Touchpad. My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv5117cl. I upraded it to Windows 7 and maxed out the memory on it. My problem seemed to appear after I loaded Windows 7. Assuming it was a conflict between the Touchpad and Win7, I've attempted to update the driver software, with no luck. I've also played around with the sensitivity settings. Neither of these fixes seemed to help and only made using the Touchpad more frustrating to use. Tonight I simply uninstalled the Synaptics driver and am now just using the generic Windows driver. So far, so good. The touchpad is infinitely more responsive and doesn't seem to have a mind of its own anymore. It still allows me to move the cursor and tap or double-tap to click. It no longer jumps around and randomly clicks things on its own anymore. However, (not sure if it's related to the generic driver) I just noticed that my arrow keys no longer work.

Collapse -
See if disabling the touchscreen helps
by waterwild / October 12, 2011 1:13 PM PDT

After Dell replaced my touchpad, keyboard, motherboard, and monitor on my less-than-two year old Studio, I still had an erratic cursor (pops all over the screen, randomly clicking here and there, opening and closing all sorts of programs). The only solution for me was to disable the touchscreen feature.
I am still pursuing Dell for a solution, as well as why my ESC key no longer works.

Collapse -
Same issue here...
by deanio97 / January 19, 2013 5:00 AM PST

My Acer Aspire 5630 has a Synaptics trackpad, it seems to be the controller chip on the motherboard, Mine is under the trackpad button, it seems to get rather hot when in use for long periods of time and when it does, that's when all hell breaks loose, disabling it and lettig it settle for about 10 or 15 minutes resolves the issue long enough for me to finish doing what I'm doing, but it is helpful to know how to work a PC with no mouse!, but it still has a very bad tendancy to behave very eratically and I am forced to use keyboad shortcuts to shut it down, the system is clear and has ever really had a virus or other form of malware (other than virtual machine based virus testing, which has no effect on the host PC at all). The chip should be made by realtek and have the little crab emblem on it, I think it's an ALC883 chip, it also amplifies the sound which may be why it hets hot, but I've had the laptop for around 5 or so years and this a relatively new issue that rarely happens but when it does the trackpad is pretty much unuseable!

Collapse -
try this simple fix
by SarahGoldwell / February 2, 2013 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: Same issue here...

Place a piece of writing paper over the touch pad and secure with sellotape, it worked for me

Collapse -
another idea.
by oskardav / August 10, 2015 5:49 PM PDT

The problem is synaptic as well, i know this post is old, but someone can need this.

To fix this problem

Open your task manager -- end all task about synaptic, and your mouse will work normal (touch pad features disables), now go to the synaptic carpet and uninstall, your mouse will be a normal mouse... is something.

Collapse -
Very simple solution found.
by OtsIps / August 16, 2015 8:03 AM PDT

After spending hours rebooting , reloading programs, ringing consultants from Acer, etc,etc I found my solution to a non-reactive touchpad was simply to hold down the Fn key at the same time as the F7 key and voila the touchpad works again. Do it again and it stops working! Hope this helps some of you! Happy

Collapse -
Update touchpad driver to fix issues
by Rsbyor / August 26, 2015 3:38 AM PDT

In normal case, there won't be problems on touchpad itself but the driver.
Like the driver installed is outdated, corrupted or somewhat not working, then your touchpad won't work properly.
So whenever your touchpad is not working, imagine the driver is broken. Uninstall the old driver and reinstall a new one.
You can go to manufacture's website or download site to download the driver and manually install it.
You can also use 3rd party utility like DriveTheLife: http://download.cnet.com/DriveTheLife/3000-2094_4-76219521.html

Collapse -
Re: drivers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 26, 2015 3:49 AM PDT

Generally, we don't recommend using driver update programs.

This one is free and has positive reviews, but still: use at your own risk and be sure you know how to undo things it does wrong.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.