Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Switching between IE and Firefox

by grandpaw7 / November 18, 2004 12:52 AM PST

I have Firefox as my default browser. I presume that in order to use IE, I have to click on my desktop IE icon, click on Properties, then on the Programs tab, and put a check in the box about having IE check to see if it is my default browser. Then, when I go to a wabpage I'll get a question from IE: do I want to make it my default? And I need to say Yes.

That is a pretty complicated way to have to switch to IE. Is there an easier way?

I find that if I open IE, I can type a URL in the address box and get the URL in IE. But if I go back to my desktop to click on a website icon, I'll be switched back to Firefox unless I have made IE my default.

Am I understanding things correctly? grandpaw

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Switching between IE and Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Switching between IE and Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Switching between IE and Firefox
by Coryphaeus / November 18, 2004 1:02 AM PST

Pretty much. You have to train IE once you have set another browser as default. Once you have IE as your default, if you open Firefox it will probably ask if you want IT as your default. Viscous circle.

Icons - since they were probably set up using IE, they will open in IE. Just a question. Why are web sites on your desktop. Why not keep them in your Favorites?

You can set any browser as your default. But. Windows updates want IE as the browser.

Good luck,

Telephony facts, analog/digital explained.

See the CNet faces behind the posts.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - - Stephen W. Hawking

Collapse -
by grandpaw7 / November 18, 2004 2:10 AM PST

Coryphaeus, when I opened this thread, I only had Firefox check to see if it is the defaul because I had the erroneous impression that I should have only one browser or the other check to see if it was my default. Thus, when I wanted to use IE I had to go through that process I described for having IE check to see if it was the default. I see now that I should have both do that check to see if it is the default, which enables me to switch back and forth much more easily, without having to go through the process of programming IE to check. So that really makes my inquiry about an easier way moot.

My initial post describes how to program IE to check to see if it is the default. While I have Firefox programmed to do the same, I can't remember how that is done. Perhaps someone can provide that info to others who may be wondering.

As to those desktop icons, I just find it more convenient to have the icons on my desktop. I know there are a lot of tidy people out there who want a lean and mean desktop, but tidiness has never been one of my shortcomings.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 2:12 AM PST

Clicking on website icons on your desktop will always open the "default" browser, so I do it differently. My default is Internet Explorer, but I only use it about 50% of the time.

I do it much simpler. While connected to the internet, if I want Firefox to open, I double click on the Firefox icon on my desktop. It opens and I then use the "Bookmarks" in Firefox to open any favorites that I have saved.

If I want to use Internet Explorer, I close Firefox, then double click on the blue "e" on my desktop to open Internet Explorer. I then use IE to do what I want.

In fact, there are a few occasionas when I will have both Firefox and Internet Explorer open at the same time, but I don't do that often. Occasional "freezes" occur.

Like I said in one of your previous posts, I don't have a lot of icons on my desktop. I use the "Favorites" for that purpose.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by grandpaw7 / November 18, 2004 2:32 AM PST

Grif, that is certainly more simple than what I described in my opening post. But it does seem to me that, as I mentioned in my reply to Coryphaeus, it is also pretty simple to have both browsers check to see if they are the default. That permits the user to simply click the icon for whichever browser he wants to use, and then getting it as the default till he chooses to click on the other browser icon. He only needs to say yes when asked if he wants that browser to be the default. What do you think? grandpaw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Grandpaw, Whatever Works For You Is Great
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 2:59 AM PST
Collapse -
by Larry38 / November 18, 2004 3:48 AM PST

Ever since I started useing Firefox, I have done it the same way that Grif does. I still have IE6 as my default browser and Firefox just as a standard browser. When I start up each morning I dial up useing Firefox, but if I want to use my Yahoo Mail or Hotmail I go to IE for that, which is about the only time I use IE. Just my choice that I set it up that way. Also I don't keep many icons on the desktop, just the few i use alot. The rest I store in a folder in My Documents so I'll have them if needed.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 8:42 AM PST

Hi Grandpaw,

How about trying another method?

Open any browser you want, if it is maximised to full screen, reduce it a bit so you can move it around, (drag on the browser title bar right at the top), to allow you to see your desktop.

Then, choose the web page icon on your desktop that you want to open, and "drag" it into the browser window.

It doesn't matter what web page is displayed in the window currently. By dragging the desktop icon into the wiindow that will open that web page.

Thaat way you don't have to bother with default browser choices.

Just a thought.

Collapse -
Good suggestion, Mark
by grandpaw7 / November 19, 2004 12:27 AM PST

And I'll also use that method to switch from one website to another one which has an icon on my desktop. With sixty icons on my desktop, most of them websites, I have a nice menu to choose from. Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
Easy solution IE VIEW Extension
by LarryD / November 18, 2004 2:23 AM PST

You can download and install the IE VIEW extension. Once installed you can right click a link and select "open selected link in IE". This way you can always use Firefox, but if you have a site that NEEDS Internet Explorer, this is a one-click solution.

Firefox browser/tools/extensions
Get more extensions
when the window opens, look for IE VIEW

Collapse -
Something wrong
by grandpaw7 / November 18, 2004 2:39 AM PST

Larry, when I go to Firefox Tools and click on Extensions, I get a blank page which doesn't show any extensions. It has a button labeled More Extensions which I clicked on to see a list of extensions, but they don't include View IE. Right now, I have the version of Firefox that immediately preceded the Firefox 1.0 that was just made available. I wonder if I should uninstall it and then install the 1.0? grandpaw

Collapse -
AFAIK Firefox 1.0 is okay and stable, so I'd say yes
by LarryD / November 18, 2004 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Something wrong

As to finding the extensions, that is sometimes a little tricky as they are written by authors, not necessarily by the Firefox team of developers. As a result after each upgrade there is a period of time where the extensions aren't (yet) available. As to the blank screen, since you didn't install any, yet it should be blank.

for reference I like this thread as a list of the extensions I use and you could find IE VIEW here . In addition, look here for a tutorial on how to use extensions.

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 18, 2004 7:41 PM PST

A lot depends on the ISP you use. I have cable which allows me to connect with any browser. I open the program I want to use (Netscape, IE, etc.) and it connects. If your ISP is simply a phone number, you should be able to use a variety of browsers. If you use an ISP like MSN or AOL, then you need to connect using their software, minimize the program, open the browser you want and surf away.

As far as setting the default browser, you can have IE check each time it is launched. You can also set your default programs through the control panel. Go to the control panel, internet options, connections and programs. See what is checked and go from there.

Collapse -
I'm not following you, glb
by grandpaw7 / November 19, 2004 12:48 AM PST

I read your first paragraph as dealing with the ability to use different browsers. I have no problem using either of the two browsers I have, IE6 and Firefox (I don't recall the version). So I am not sure what I should take from that first paragraph.

On your second paragraph, I have recently been having both IE and Firefox pop up to ask if I want it as my default, though other methods have been suggested which I now want to consider. But I don't follow what you sy about using Control Panel>Internet Options> Connections>Programs. In Internet Options, I have a separate tab for Connections and for Programs, rather that having to go through Connections to to get to Programs. The Connections tab deals with choosing an ISP rather than a browser, AT&T being my ISP. The Programs tab doesn't have anything about choice of browsers. What am I missing?

Collapse -
Re: I'm not following you, glb
by glb613 / November 19, 2004 2:42 AM PST

I'm not sure why you need to make one the default browser? It doesn't really matter. Once you are connected to the internet, open and use the one you want. The only time I have my default browser open automatically is when I use another program to connect to the internet. If you have a program looking for automatic updates or clicking on a link in an e-mail are a couple of examples.

By checking on your settings, connections and programs, you can change things. If you want your ISP dialup connection to start automatically, then have it set to always dial my default connection. If you have more than one dialup connection, you can choose which one is your default.

Bottom line, you really only need a default dialup. That is what gets you connected to the internet. The browser is just the program to browse the internet. Doesn that help?

Collapse -
by Willy / November 18, 2004 11:27 PM PST

Here's what I do from my past usage. When I've installed most browsers, I "decline" making that browser or any other as the default browser and/or when it pops-up again, uncheck to "ask this question" everytime, thus any or all browsers installed aren't the default. Then when I launch a broswer its always on it own merits, I want it to work then and not when it sees an internet request.

As for question you need now to check into Firefox and "uncheck" its default status. That way both browsers become non-default and you launch them when you want to. Do both to verify status, change setting(if needed) save, and reboot, then test.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Wow, I didn't know there were so many different ways
by grandpaw7 / November 19, 2004 12:50 AM PST

of switching back and forth. Yours seems like a pretty convenient and practical one. What I have to do now is to decide which methold suits me best.

Thanks, Willy, for the input, grandpa

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.