Cameras

General discussion

SVP LEGAL ACTION. Please share your story!

by boothbusinessjr / November 16, 2006 2:21 PM PST

I am putting together a database of those who have been ripped off by the SVP scam. Those who are familiar with this brand know exactly what I am talking about. The intention is to take action agains each and every employee, on an individual basis. Please reply and share your story. Include the model number(s) purchased and the total amount of money spend on each given purchase. I look forward to hearing from the international community.

BRAND NAME: SVP (silicon valley peripherals- California, USA)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SVP LEGAL ACTION. Please share your story!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SVP LEGAL ACTION. Please share your story!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i bought svp and am really upset
by bobbyball43 / November 18, 2006 5:31 AM PST

i purchased a piece of crap too. my first one was defective so i had to exchange it. then they kept it for 2 months so by the time i got it back and saw how crappy it was my recourse through paypal or ebay was over. now i can't get anywhere with svp or the ebay seller. i also spoke with attorneys so if someone else has already started a class action i wouldn't need to go further.

Collapse -
SVP X-Thinn-1056
by life0731 / July 19, 2008 1:39 PM PDT

I also bought a SVP camera on e-bay and was told it was 12 megapixels when it was only 5.1 when I received it. I used it to take pictures of my eldest grandaughters graduation. OH man my pictures were so bad. When I didn't use the flash they were dark and red. When I used the flash it made everything bright.......nothing was as it should be. The pictures were no good and I am not happy with this camera. It had a 7 day return for refund on it and I did not return it as I had not used it yet. To top it off the camera was sent to me via Fed Ex and it was left at someone else's address even though they had my address. Someone actually signed for it and had it a couple days before returning it. I bid on this camera thinking it was a good camera. It is a piece of garbage... I want my old Kodak back. :(.. so if there is a class action suit for this camera count me IN...

Collapse -
Im fed up!
by SVP_HATER / November 13, 2008 4:41 AM PST

I can't believe this piece of crap. I got it off of ebay about 2 years ago with my dad, it claimed to be HD and could display 720p resolution, but no, it is all a lie, It had crappy software, and the image stabilizer function is absolutley useless. Its is the worst piece of crap ever made. I cant even find working drivers. I wanted to use it for a webcam since i my dad gave me his $400 canon powershot, which works marvelously by the way, and when i went to SVP's website the drivers shut down my computer. I hate them! I feel sooo ripped off.

-Brandon, canada, ontario

Collapse -
svp contact info
by bobbyball43 / November 18, 2006 5:52 AM PST

i forgot to add this too my post. i requested contact seller info from ebay and here's what i was sent. trying to reach them by phone is impossible but lets all try shall we? i also contacted most news agencies such aas dateline, 2020 and 60 minutes. mail-in-direct has many feedback posts wih negative comments so i contact them as well.

Contact Information for mail-direct-inc :
User ID: mail-direct-inc
Name: Adrian Chen
Company: Silicon Valley Peripherals
City: Fremont
State: CA
Phone: (702) 951-7356
Registered Since: Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 22:17:28 PST

Collapse -
SVP
by sweetkewi / November 13, 2008 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: svp contact info

So do I just need to call them and let them know what happen? Do we even expect some money out of this?

Collapse -
I wish to join this legal action from England.
by pullman69 / November 29, 2006 8:19 AM PST

The SVP HDDV2100 was bought during a once in alifetime time trip to USA from UK in March 2006 in San Francisco. The instructions were so bad as to be incomprehensible. The stability so appalling I had to buy an expensive lens so that the film was stable, and the visual, sound and synchronization were found to be excruciatingly horrendous. When the camera wld not even charge I returned it demanding $472 back from SVP, they sent me a new camera that still was shoddy and fraudulent with its mention of 12MGpixels. I am still waiting for my money. I have proof of the shoddiness of their product showing my film verus my son's cheap still camera with short video - comparing the same scenes. Having finally found their address in California, I sent a letter and CD, neither of which were looked at. I wish to join any action against this company which should be put out of business and sued for FRAUD and misrepresentation with regards to their product to cover the costs of the loss of memories of what was a wonderful but very expensive trip that can never be relived.All correspondence can be at your disposition.

Collapse -
i have others
by bobbyball43 / December 11, 2006 10:45 AM PST

I went through negative comments from folks on ebay so is there an email address i can give them to get in touch with you? also i found a firm who does class actions. http://www.beltlawfirm.com/ they are interested.

Collapse -
any news on class action?
by bobbyball43 / December 20, 2006 10:10 AM PST

i am on a 12 day vacation!! And plan on spending some time moving this along. how many people do you have so far? i have about 20.

Collapse -
SVP 12mp Model SX302 (SX302a) WHAT A JOKE!!!AN ABSOLUTE SCAM
by ComWizard / August 30, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

Yep....ME 2...I fell prey to believing "HOW BAD CAN IT BE?" late one night. Hoping I was going to be able to win an Auction and end up with a deal. WELL THERE IS NO DEAL HERE!!! This is a HUGE SCAM!!!

Item number: 160144866255 on ebay....Payment was sent to: zhanka-trv@comcast.net on Aug-06-07. I received the camera in less than 4 days!!! And, NOW I KNOW WHY!!!! The were in a HURRY to get rid of this peice of CRAP!!! WORST thing I EVER Bought on eBay. I thought maybe it was me....so i EVEN left positive feedback about their shipping speed (quick delivery).

MY MISTAKE, I KNOW!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TELL ME WHAT A FOOL I was for NOT looking on the net about this camera in the first place... I LOST $65.95. I feel worse for the people who did the BUY IT NOW and got taken worse than me. $65.95 isn't anything to laugh at for poor folk.

This teaches me to DO MY RESEARCH.....but, what about those people who are buying something like this that was JUST PUT out there on eBay? A "NEW" product that just comes out will not have reviews like this one. I think that the people that pass these cameras off for ANYTHING but TOYS should have their fingernails ripped off SLOWLY with PLIERS and salt to SEAL the wound!!! If were left up to me I would steak their beaten boddies out in the desert...on the biggest anthill I could find....and cover their body with something to attract the ants enough to chew the skin off their bodies until they have passed out of pain......then do it again every week after until they get the point.....

Feel free to email me at MrTDuke@hotmail.com if anyone gets a class action law suit, or some other legal action, together to put these low-lifes out of business forever!!!

Collapse -
SVP SCAM
by JJALLEN.BEST / October 1, 2007 10:48 PM PDT

WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK! SELLER IS LINDA'S CAMERA WORLD SAYS THEY WILL EXCHANGE FOR ANOTHER PIECE OF CRAP SVP.PUT ME ON THE ATTY. LIST THIS GARBAGE HAS TO STOP, 12MP YEAH RIGHT.I ONLY WISH I WOULD HAVE CAME HERE BEFORE I PURCHASED THIS SO CALLED HIGH QUALITY CAMERA.
EMAIL ME @ JALLEN.BEST@YAHOO.COM

Collapse -
FLASH NOT WORKING
by emmaq8 / October 5, 2007 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: SVP SCAM

I bought this piece of junk a few months ago. At first I thought it was user error since the flash was not working. I asked a few friends to help out and it does not seem to work. The outside pictures are great since there is enough light but indoor pictures are horrible. Add me to the class action suit since this was a rip off.

Collapse -
SVP
by sweetkewi / October 31, 2008 1:25 PM PDT

Whatever happen to SVP. I still have two cameras from them.

Collapse -
SVP
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 1, 2008 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: SVP

They are still around.

They are still looking for distributors to sell their products.

Their reputation for customer and product support has been poor.

Collapse -
svp
by sweetkewi / November 1, 2008 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: SVP

has any legal action been taking agains them?

Collapse -
(NT) I don't know of any.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 1, 2008 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: svp
Collapse -
SVP DIGICAMS
by curraner / January 30, 2009 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know of any.

HI AGAIN , got onto paypal resolutions , and true to form this clippercutie has started mailing me , charging 25% restocking and shipping payments , sure might as well f..k it in bin .
Why can these sellers not be stopped selling crap . It has changed my whole opinion of buying on the net

Collapse -
Adrian Chen
by borkeralice / November 16, 2008 2:42 AM PST

Contact info from eBay:

Contact Information for mail-direct-inc :
User ID: mail-direct-inc
Name: Adrian Chen
Company: Silicon Valley Peripherals
City: Fremont
State: CA
Phone: (702) 951-7356
Registered Since: Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 22:17:28 PST

EBay names, Linda's Camera World, Camera World, both are no longer listed on eBay. I have seen ripoff complaints for as recently as this past September.

Clippercutie is still selling on eBay.

These are all Adrian Chen, eBay stores.

As listed in whitepages.com -

Adrian M Chen

home
1477 Quintana Way
Fremont, CA 94539-3654
(510) 668-0178
Listing Details
Household: Huang M Ch

Adrian Chen

work
43301 Osgood Rd
Fremont, CA 94539-5659
Listing Details
Job title: President
Company: Silicon Valley Imaging

Adrian Chen

work
1477 Quintana Way
Fremont, CA 94539-3654
(510) 353-1198
Listing Details
Job title: Owner
Company: Silicon Valley Periph

Collapse -
GPS
by presidentwax / December 23, 2008 1:08 PM PST
In reply to: Adrian Chen

I purchased an SVP GPS from clippercutie, for my fiance, as a chrstmas present. I did research on the product and everything seemed okay at first. Until it arrived this morning. It not only does not have maps installed, and will not locate the satelite network, but it is also uncompatible with either XP or Vista. It also never reaches a fully charged state. Forunately I have contacted the seller and paypal, as I purchased it only 7 days ago. However I would like to be included in any lawsuit, as I am out $90.49, and do not believe, based on what I have read today, that I will be able to resolve this issue out of court.
eBay Auction US Item #390017022030
Inventory SKU: GPS-350-LNR
TOUCH SCREEN GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEM w/ US MAPS + MP3/MP4
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390017022030&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Collapse -
These posts will not help with legal action a bit
by trot33 / December 24, 2008 10:55 PM PST

Dude,

sorry to burst your bubble, but apparently your post and intention to have a class action are about the same scam as these cameras. If you really want to start class action, you need first to do a research about class actions. And if you do this research, you will find that you don't need to gather other people who had the same experience. You have to find an attorney interested in the case, and one victim is more than enough; if the case is allowed to proceed as class action, then the discovery of class members will be done "automatically". You are only misleading people who apparently believe that by posting here they increase the chance of legal action.

However, I don't think you will find such attorney, since even though SVP grossly exaggerated their claims, most likely there was no direct lies, there was fine print you did not notice, and so on. More realistically you and everybody else who has posted here might file complaint with the attorney general in your state and in CA, and also initiate chargeback with credit company, if you paid by c.c. If there are many complaints, AG will then start the action themselves.

Collapse -
Yet another Ebay customer that got whacked by the SVP bug
by b_vick777 / January 1, 2009 4:24 AM PST

Hello to all, I am another one of those clippercutie customers that recently bought an SVP 12 mp cam/camera combo. After finally receiving it( I received 9 other items I bought after her camera before receiving the camera), anyway, I immediately put it to use and went to my friends daughters girlscout meeting/party. The pics came out with the quality of a cellphone. Well me being nice and all I emailed clippercutie and asked what the deal was with the quality, I get an email back saying I should adjust for indoor lighting, adjust it to a "fine quality" pic(which I had already done), and on and on she went. So it was "user" failure. NOT. I have had at minimum 7 digital cameras and I know how to set them up and use them. A throwaway film camera produces better quality pics than this SVP does. So now after a month and a half I am still trying to get a refund. She immediately pointed me to the refund policy of 7 days, after that, according to her email to me, I should have thought about that before I bid on it. So now I am attempting to get at least some of my money back through PayPal. Even if I am successful at getting a partial refund, it makes me mad to no end to know that I will be paying 30 dollars to receive and send back and 20.00 for restocking to her precious garage shelf, so thats 50.00 bucks to find that this camera is all junk. Its more like 3 megapixels or less. Not only is she rude in her emails back to me, she talks to me as if I`m an idiot that needs extensive digital training in order to operate a digital camera. I will be more than happy to join a class action suit, if for no other reason than to get her off Ebay forever. Anyone can email me at spanky777_1999@yahoo.com Thanks for giving me a place to vent about this garbage camera.

Collapse -
SVP T200 HD camera
by curraner / January 28, 2009 6:39 AM PST

hi , just received my SVP CAMERA , DISGRACEFUL what a piece of **** . I am from Ireland , it cost me 112euro incl shipping tried contacting this sellers email slimsharppaypal@ebaybuynow.com doesnt exist is there any telephone numbers for contacting them .Mine keeps locking up , spend most of time taking battery out to unfreeze

Collapse -
Paypal
by presidentwax / January 28, 2009 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: SVP T200 HD camera

Do not bother with the seller, if you purchased through paypal, create a dispute and use them to get your money back. If you try to talk to the seller, they will only try to play you until the "warranty" limit is up, or they will try to get you to send it back (at your expense), charge you a "restock fee", then send you back the exact same camera. If you purchased with a credit card, initiate a chargback and use the multiple cnet forums regarding svp "customer service" as evidence in you case. The longer you wait, the harder it will be, DO NOT KEEP THIS DEVICE!!!! Get your money back and do not try to get it working, it will just break sooner, not later.

Collapse -
Reply to Presidentwax concerning clippercutie
by b_vick777 / January 30, 2009 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Paypal

Hello and sorry to hear that you got zapped by clippercutie also. I went through weeks of her stupid emails telling me I wasn`t adjusting the camera correctly, then heard that I was beyond the 7 day warranty period, that I would be charged a restocking fee of 20 to 25 dollars, plus the shipping charges of sending it back, blah blah!!. So I filed a complaint with PayPal and they took it from there, I eventually received a full refund, yet I was still out the 15.00 dollars to send it back to her. They need to be banned permanently from Ebay, how many people does she have to stick it to before that finally happens. Good Luck. Email me if you have any questions.

Collapse -
Ripped off as well...VERY UPSET!!
by AmberNiC0le / February 18, 2009 5:48 AM PST

I purchased the Pink SVP DC-12DX on ebay from thepremierdeals@ebaybuynow.com for 97.48 on 8/1/2008 and I have gotten nothing but problems from this camera. First of all, it was advertised as a new 300 camera with 12 mp which was supposed to be one of the hottest cameras out at the time. Come to find out its only 5.1 mp, the camera sucks!! The pictures are always too bright and blurry. Then a small piece that holds the battery door closed broke and I got nothing but the run around from some man from the company saying his manager is very busy and couldnt give me the RMA# to return for repair. I still have a one year warranty and still cannot get anything done. FInally found a number on their website and called, finally got an RMA from a man that I spoke to and sent the camera back, insured by the USPS and now have not heard back from anyone saying they received my camera or that it is being worked on or anything. Now, the website has taken the number completely off the site. I still have the number though and get nothing but voicemails no matter what time of day I call. At this point, they can keep the camera, I just want my money back!! I really hope someone gets this lawsuit going because every day that goes by, more and more people are getting ripped off. My email is Maberxniic0le@aol.com... the 0 is a zero, btw. If anyone knows anything, please email me!!!

Collapse -
svp complainers
by curraner / February 18, 2009 6:54 AM PST

hey there , I sent camera back under advice from paypal and tracked it , svp received it 8 february 09 and not a word from them . SVP T200 cost me

Collapse -
svp complainers
by curraner / February 19, 2009 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: svp complainers

yes there is a god , after constant persuing with paypal resolution centre , I today finally got a full refund , purchased a SVP T 200 digicamcorder , what a piece of crap , on the 17 january 09 received it maybe 2 weeks later 29 january and complained since sent loads of email to that SVP crowd , so to yu people out there , dont disper and keep hassling there is a refund .....

still think that this SVP company should be banned from selling that crap on eBay... good luck

Collapse -
Clippercutie The Scammer
by mountainbubba / February 21, 2009 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: svp complainers

Well, I see more good people are getting scammed by ole Adrian dba clippercutie the thug.
I had a serious problem with his sorry low life A** about a year ago and I see that Ebay is still sucking up to him.
My case was resolved through PayPal with a full refund. I also appealed to Ebay and NEVER heard a word from them. Clippercutie the bum thug is till sitting back and scamming the heck out of a lot of good people.
Some research at one time showed that he is connected to a company in China. He seems to be a power seller for Ebay and you can just bet they're not going to do anything because they're making money off of him left and right.I read his Feedbback again recently and it looks like maybe he has a way of giving himself positive feedbacks. Just look at the one liners but maybe I'm wrong.
Don't think the scammer is going away so save your money and go to Walmart and buy yourself a decent camera.
They do have a "human" there you can talk to and will do refunds without a pack of lies.

Collapse -
I bought 3 How crazy am I
by dobbinsjessica / March 4, 2009 10:55 PM PST

I bought 3 cameras from SVP via ebay for my girls. I returned 1 & I have waited 2 months with no refund or return. Another one of the cameras is bad but I feel I would have better luck if I returned it to Santa Claus. I keep getting the run around about waiting on the shipping dept. Hmm were is that dept in the back woods of Antarctica I think. Any way I would love to join the class action suit if there becomes one. Is there not another way to cut down this weed of sellers from our garden of life? How about the BBB can they help at all? Ebay? Pay-pal? I say we go to their trade show events & picket -freedom of speach. This company is a part of the problem in this country- no one holds retailers accountable for ripping the hard working American off!!!!!

Collapse -
Reply to: I bought 3 How crazy am I
by b_vick777 / March 5, 2009 12:41 AM PST

Hello, yes you are among a growing list of people that are getting tired of this seller getting away with scamming people with cheap junk cameras and then not there for any type of customer service after the fact. Your best bet is to file a complaint with PayPal concerning all 3 cameras. Do not settle for anything less than a full refund. I went this route after many emails back and forth with clippercutie, at first she(they) said it errors on my part..I wasn`t "adjusting" the camera correctly. It didn`t matter what setting I had it on, it was cellphone quality at best. I finally had to file a complaint with PayPal after sending my camera back to the seller and getting a delivery confirmation number from the post office, they refunded my money fully except for my cost of shipping it back, then they went after clippercutie for payment back to paypal. Ebay needs to step up and eliminate this and other sellers on Ebay that treat customers like dirt once the sale is completed. If you have any questions email me at spanky777_1999@yahoo.com Bill

Collapse -
Add me to the class action suit.
by Dollyaim / April 21, 2009 12:36 AM PDT

I bought this same camera for my husband for father's day. I have had a stroke, brain surgery, and have severe epilepsy and lost me job. My husband is losing his job also and the camera was to help him in the business he is trying to start from home to save us.

The camera is the worst piece of crap I have wasted money on - which I certainly was NOT in a position to do. I am heartbroken that my husband was SO excited about this camera and it ended up being the biggest of piece of junk I ever bought.

Please add me to the lawsuit and I will give you whatever information that you need in order to help. I am a certified paralegal and I would be willing to help you if necessary.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.