Cameras forum

General discussion

SVP consumer evaluation w/ pics from 2 models!

by iamsammasmai / July 11, 2006 10:27 AM PDT

I recently bought two different SVP digital cameras from two different Ebay retailers. When I got the first camera, I thought that I had been ripped off horribly. Here is a link to my original evaluation of the camera.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=48393&messageID=2055966

The first camera that arrived was an SVP DC12V-LE and was advertised as a 12MP camera but is in reality a 3MP camera with 4x digital zoom. It takes crappy pictures that will almost never get the lighting right no matter how u change the settings. It takes good pictures outside in regular daylight and other than that it will never get the contrast correct.

The next camera that came was an SVP CDC-7580 and I was very sceptical thinking about sending it back because of the possibility of these being fraudulant false advertised cameras from a company that might go bankrupt mysteriously tomorrow. I have to say, the quality of the CDC-7580 is astounding. It takes beautiful pictures. It is advertised as a 7MP camera but clearly shows on the front that it has a 5MP CCD and 3x optical zoom instead of the crappy digital zoom. I would definately recommend this camera, I am very impressed with it.

Here is a link to the pictures I took today with each camera.

SVP CDC-7580 pics

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m143/sanitywonko/CDC-7580%20Pictures/?sc=1&multi=10&addtype=local&media=image

SVP DC12V-LE pics

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m143/sanitywonko/DC12V-LE%20Pictures/

A summary of my personal amateur evaluation of these cameras is:

The DC12V models take crappy pictures, do not have a user friendly interface, are lacking in options especially when it comes to lighting and the flash, and are overall not worth more than $50. You could take better pictures on a cheap camera phone and that's a fact.

The CDC-7580 and probably the other similar models thus far have been carrying the bad rap of these cheap and crappy so called 12MP SVP cameras, but in actuality they are nothing like them. I absolutely love my CDC-7580 and as you can see in the photo album, it takes beautiful pictures in all sorts of places. The picture of the tree in the album was taken at full zoom from at least 300 yards away across a field, and it turned out wonderful. It is also loaded with cool little options and even has 4 little video games built into it.

The bottom line is SVP for some reason makes these really really crappy 3MP cameras and mascarades them as 12MP, so of course everyone says they are bogus. I feel pretty upset still that I got completely ripped off on this first camera. I also feel that my CDC-7580 is worth as much as I paid for both cameras combined. It has a quality panasonic 5MP CCD with an impressively clear 3x optical zoom. I am very happy with my purchase and would buy another one. Thanks for taking to time to read this review, I just wanted to share my experience with these cameras so noone else makes the mistake I did and buys one of these POS DC12V models but at the same time everyone knows that SVP does make some quality models.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SVP consumer evaluation w/ pics from 2 models!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SVP consumer evaluation w/ pics from 2 models!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never, EVER buy a NEW camera on eBay. You will ALWAYS
by Kiddpeat / July 11, 2006 11:19 AM PDT

pay more than it is worth. Name brand cameras like Canon are available selling for prices which are just as low as this SVP crap. Don't get fooled by shill postings.

Collapse -
I somewhat agree
by iamsammasmai / July 11, 2006 12:41 PM PDT

The point of my posting was not to promote SVP cameras, or buying on ebay at all. In fact, I do not suggest either. You are correct, there is probably a name brand camera that takes equivalent or better pictures for a similar price. My point is that the SVP DC12V-LE is a total piece of crap, however the SVP CDC-7580 which I was using all day today is impressive to me(a total amateur)and I think that it is worth every cent of the $110 I payed for it. I love the camera and still feel angry that this company's products are so inconsistent that the DC12V model line is completely crap and the other model is so nice. Please don't call this a shill because I repeat my stance that for the same price there are equivalent and probably better brand name cameras with reliable customer support. For those people that are thinking of purchasing an SVP camera, this may be a useful thread that does not need to be crowded with flames. Again from my amateur experience, the SVP DC12V-LE is a total piece of crap and I do not suggest anyone buys one, but the SVP CDC-7580 is in fact a quality camera and it takes very nice pictures in all conditions as I found out today running through the differing light conditions of the woods.

Collapse -
SVP question....
by denkecpa / July 22, 2006 12:17 AM PDT

I've been reading all of these posts about SVP cameras and such...seriously, are they all THAT bad? I have a bid for one in on e-bay and I don't want to get duped. I see good reviews as well as bad ones...Kiddpeat, you seem to have a lot of input about them. Did you own one? If so, what problems did you have with it? Thanks so much for your help!!
(Yes, I'm a new memeber...please don't bash me, I'm here merely looking for legitimate answers! lol Thanks!) p.s. What in the heck does "shill" mean? lol

Collapse -
Shill means someone who gains financially from the sale
by Kiddpeat / July 22, 2006 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: SVP question....

of a product or service. Everything he or she says is motivated by a desire to earn money. I think the term comes from carnivals and/or strip shows where people in the crowd would praise the product or service to back up the claims of the seller.

If you are seeing a lot of negative comments about a product, you are wise to stay away from it. The SVP product has been examined on several occasions and shown to be of low quality, and to use misleading advertising.

Collapse -
Thanks...
by denkecpa / July 24, 2006 6:51 AM PDT

I had a bid in for one of the SVP cameras from Linda's on E-bay, but I let myself get outbid. I'm glad I did now! Thanks so much for your reply on this. Just a quick note, I emailed Linda's and asked them about what they had to say about the negitive reviews that their products are getting, and accusations that her products weren't what they are said to be. I received an email back stating that ''...questions can be answered faster by returning to your auction and reading all the terms, conditions, features and specifications of the item. I assure you I have posted all available information I have about the items in my auctions.'' I was also told, ''If your question is still not answered after you return to your winning auction and review it, and after you read all the FAQ's pages below, I may personally respond, usually within 48 hours (Monday-Friday.'' I felt as if the question that I asked was dodged, so that also deterred me from submitting any further bids. Thanks again for your input on this! (And the explaination of the word ''shill''. lol)

Collapse -
SVP Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 11, 2006 1:52 PM PDT

Thanks for posting the sample photos.

I looked at all of the photos, expanded to full size.

As for the DC-12V camera.
The reason all of the photos are dark is that the camera's highest ISO setting is 200. And I doubt that it was actually functioning at 200.
Most of these phots were tinged with purple.
The camera should only be used on very bright sunny days. The 12V is not a serious camera at all....I would classify it as a toy.

The CDC-7580 photos were disappointing to me.
About half of the photos were clearly out of focus.
For the closeup shots, it appears that the camera is ''back focusing'' or failing to achieve focus lock before the photo is taken.

Back Focus is when the camera focuses behind the target instead of on the target. This is usually caused by improper adjustment at the factory.

After dealing with the 12V camera. The 7580 provides better performance.

But I think you are just seeing the difference and are being too lenient on the 7580.

The 7580 does not even come close to the photo quality of the Canon A410.
The A410 can be bought at newegg.com for $107 including shipping.
It is 3 megapixel and 3X optical zoom.

It clearly outperforms the SVP 7580 camera.

Take a good look at some sample photos from the A410.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a410_samples.html

Click on the photos, and while they are downloading, they are shown at full size.
When the downloading is complete they reduce in size.
Place your mouse cursor on the reduced photo for 3 seconds and an icon will appear in the lower right corner.
Click that icon and the photo will return to full size.
Now examine that photo and look at the detail.

I suggest you start with the 2 1/2 story red brick building photo.
Look at the street and traffic signs.
Look at the bricks on the building and the leaves on the trees and bushes.
Look at the white numbers on the green dumpster.
Look at the grass in the lower right corner.

Now look at one of your best photos from the 7580 at full size and check the details.

See if it compares well with the Canon A410 shots.

Collapse -
Why do you guys put so much effort into slamming the SVP?
by J Markwood / July 12, 2006 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: SVP Cameras

Just received my 8630 two days ago & I'm quite pleased with it. I like to take pictures. I like the features of this camera. I recommend this camera to anyone who wants to get a great camera for the money. You guys who post negative comments on the SVP & then praise your other name brand products like you take them to bed or are professional sports photographers, really come off as arrogant. Not all of us are as hard to please as you. Praise the little guys out there like SVP & embrace the fact that they have breached a market with product lines which may actually impact the big guys numbers. As an inventor and multiple business owner, I say, "Right on!!" This camera is'nt the best out there, but it certainly is a far better deal for the money spent from an amateurs perspective. Finally, I'll venture to guess, this little, inert thread will generate the professional opinions of the elite and all knowing camera gurus. Slamming my every written word. Just realize, these guys pour wasted emotions into a keyboard in an attempt to sway you to thinking just like them. Promoting Name Brand products for large companies whom could give a rats backside about them. Well, this was my two cents. Shake up the Cyber Squatters & move on!! My job's done here! Support Small Business Around the World. Don't be herded by these faceless, nameless know it alls. Wink

Collapse -
Not faceless and nameless
by rgfitz / July 12, 2006 2:27 AM PDT

when you fill out the Profile.

Collapse -
Shill alert. Trying to sell SVP crap. Never go to eBay to
by Kiddpeat / July 12, 2006 2:35 AM PDT

buy a NEW camera. You will ALWAYS pay more than the camera is worth EVEN if it is a name brand camera. Snapshot has done a great job in this thread to explain how bad this SVP crap is. Posters like this just want to take the dollars of the unwary looking for a 'deal' on eBay.

Collapse -
Your two cents is worth less than the crappy SVP DC12V model
by iamsammasmai / July 13, 2006 6:39 PM PDT

I think I about said it there...btw if you read before putting in your two cents, I evaluated both cameras, and gave my honest opinion of them, of which i said that I like my SVP CDC7580 and think that its a quality product.

Collapse -
Right on Snapshot!
by rgfitz / July 12, 2006 12:56 AM PDT

You certainly are thorough and diplomatic.

Collapse -
re:
by iamsammasmai / July 12, 2006 1:11 AM PDT

You are absolutely correct, although i would like to add that I am not a very good photographer and was using the multi metering option where I probably should have tried using spot metering. The fact that there are brand name cameras at the exact same price that are proven to perform better than these SVP cameras should tell people that the SVP brand is just not worth the risk and there are better options than buying something off Ebay that is way over hyped by other complete amateurs. I definately have had an expensive learning experience and hope that anyone thinking about buying an SVP camera from Ebay will reconsider their options.

Collapse -
Close Focus
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 12, 2006 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

The out of focus flowers still bother me.

You should try a similar shot again.
This time make sure that the flowers are more than 20 inches away from the lens. The specifications show that the closest the camera can focus is 50 cm (about 20 inches).

You can focus from 10 cm (4 inches) from the lens to 20 inches, if you are in macro mode.

Collapse -
thx
by iamsammasmai / July 13, 2006 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Close Focus

Thanks, I will try taking a few more pics and post them to see what u think. I am sending back the DC12V-LE and paying a 20% restocking fee to get a total of $72 back out of the $120 I ended up paying with shipping. Its better than nothing, and at least I learned. I do still like my CDC-7580 either way, even if there are better cameras for the same price.

Collapse -
Where to shop
by photogenic2006 / November 2, 2006 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: thx

Wal Mart would be better than ebay. At least you can return/exchange hassle free without your reputation being questioned.

Collapse -
SVP
by zitacuaro / November 28, 2006 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: thx

Can anybody tell me who manufactures the SVP cameras?

Collapse -
Who manufactures SVP cameras.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 28, 2006 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: SVP

SVP is a small company in California (about 10 employees).
They import cameras (mostly from China) and put their name on the cameras.

They do not sell directly to the public.
They sell to distributors who sell to the public.

I doubt that they will tell you who is manufacturing the various cameras. It is unlikely that you have heard of any of the manufacturing companies.

My guess is, that there are a large number of different manufacturers.

Here is their website:

http://www.svp-tech.com/index.htm

Collapse -
SVP CDC 7515
by royalll2 / August 24, 2006 5:41 AM PDT

My, so much bad mouthing of SVP products! While I experienced some difficulties in purchasing my SVP CDC 7515 on eBay, I have been quite happy with the camera.

As an architect, I take quite a few pictures of buildings both exterior and interior. My camera has done quite well for me in this respect. For interior shots, I carry around either a tiny tripod, or a larger, but still very compact Targus tripod which I keep in my car, or pack in my bag when I travel. When I take interior shots without flash - which is quite often - I use the self timer and usually get superb results.

My SVP CDC 7515 lets me select among: 3, 4, 5 & 7megapixel images. I confess to not being sure if I am really getting that kind of resolution, but the images I have gotten out of this camera have generally been superior to the ones I got out of a Nikon Koolpix. Plus, the size of the 7MP images is considerably larger than the 3MP images my older Koolpix was capable of. The ability to make video-clips with sound is an added bonus that my family appreciates.

These small digital cameras are great and I love them, but I have no illusions that they are as good as the much larger (and greater light-grabbing) digital cameras. The truth is, I refuse to carry the larger ones around as I no longer want to be a slave to my camera. I have the whole nine yards and then some in a film based Pentax camera, and while I love that camera, the SVP 7515 gives me plenty of versality without the pain and the cost of film is zero.

Don't expect the impossible. For example, ''action'' shots with a small digital are usually pretty bad and is a function of the physics of light and the quantity of it hitting the CCD sensor. So don't expect to be able to catch a ballerina in mid-flight, 'cause it ain't gonna happen.

But you can take great pictures with a small digital camera if you just understand the limitations of it.

Collapse -
Hmmmm, you used a Nikon, but cant' spell its name.
by Kiddpeat / August 24, 2006 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: SVP CDC 7515

That's interesting. I've never seen Coolpix spelled as Koolpix before. You seem confused. Personally, I've observed that it's very unwise to buy new products like cameras on eBay. It seems that we've had several posts recently from people who bought SVPs on eBay and received cameras that did not work.

Collapse -
SVP 7515
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: SVP CDC 7515

Just to correct a mistake in your post.

The SVP 7515 is not a 7 megapixel camera.
It has a 5 megapixel sensor.
It can produce a 7 megapixel image by interpolation.
Which means it just enlarges a 5 megapixel image to the size of 7 megapixels.
This always results in a degraded image.

If the seller or maker of this camera calls it a 7 megapixel camera, they are misleading the customer.
Shame on them.

Collapse -
I am a fan of my svp camcorder
by jack6metal / August 26, 2007 7:48 AM PDT

i ordered my svp HDDV-2800 off of ebay, and after the fact i looked up the reviews of the company. 99% of people hated these cameras, said they were ripoffs, etc. i almost love mine, takes great pictures, better video, and it looks awesome. the few things i didn't like are the controls take a while to get used to, and the handstrap placement is kinda goofy, for the 110$ buy it now price, this is a great camera, espeically compared to my neighbors 100$ camcorder, which takes horrible video, and looks ugly

questions? email jack6metal@gmail.com

Collapse -
do you know
by jbaybay / December 26, 2007 8:15 AM PST

how to make the
dc12v-le into the
webcam?

Collapse -
SVP
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 26, 2007 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: do you know
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.