Cameras forum

General discussion

svp

by inking / November 29, 2004 3:03 AM PST

Anyone familiar with Silicon Valley Peripheral cameras that are showing up on ebay and bidz and such? They're selling 7 and 10 mp cameras. What are they worth.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: svp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: svp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: svp
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: svp

Google does not find
Silicon Valley Peripheral

And I have never heard of a 10 megapixel digital camera.

Perhaps you can provide a link?

Collapse -
Try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Re: svp
Collapse -
Re: Try...
by inking / November 29, 2004 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: Try...
Collapse -
Current bid is $20 with no reserve. What do you think?
by Kiddpeat / November 29, 2004 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Try...

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. It gets 10 mega pixel by interpolation, and has no zoom. The zoom listed is digital which is not really zoom at all.

Collapse -
bid 20 eh?
by aaronrx / November 20, 2005 12:39 PM PST

What you'll find is that there's another on the other end waiting for your bid..... then they suck you in and bid you up until the price you bid meets THEIR price. I got suckered in this way... and the price just happened to equal exactly what the cost was on the site... (except that the price was brought up to that level in part by the $35 in shipping. Pretty sneaky.) The company dodged and never answered my questions as to why the shipping price was that high when their site says they'd ship it for 9.99(not 35!)

Collapse -
OH DOUBLE NO!!!!
by klarissa / December 15, 2005 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: bid 20 eh?

I paid over $100 each for these 3 cameras. The lowest winning bid was $65. and still paid over $100 by the time I paid S/H and Insurance.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why did you need 3 cameras?
by Kiddpeat / December 15, 2005 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: OH DOUBLE NO!!!!
Collapse -
Gifts...
by klarissa / December 16, 2005 1:50 AM PST

They were going to be Christmas gifts...I have 10 children, 4 of mine plus spouses and my 6 grandchildren. I was trying to save money. But, as the saying goes, "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't" really applies here, doesn't it???!!!
I'm sending the cams back today...

Collapse -
how??
by jofinn82 / December 17, 2005 3:02 PM PST
In reply to: Gifts...

How are you sending them back!?!?! I made the same mistake, fortunately only once. I am so sorry about that!!

Collapse -
US Mail
by klarissa / December 17, 2005 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: how??

I've sent them all back through USMail/Priority mail/Signature Verification of Receipt...I received a reply from one of the dealers with the usual indignation that someone has when their products are called "CRAP", which is what I told him it is being called in discussion forums online. He also said he will honor the money-back guarantee, except I'm going to have to eat all the S/H and Insurance and of course, the cost of mailing back. I am still debating on disputing the charge with my credit co,cuz I don't want to lose my credibility as a buyer online. Though, maybe that would be a good thing! ha!

Collapse -
Good ebayer
by genbean / December 24, 2005 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: US Mail

If you're a good ebayer, I would contact ebay about the cameras. I'm so thankful I found this forum before I placed another bid on one of those...I then went to the Fuji (that I've bought before) and bought that one so glad I didn't fall for this seeming scam.

Collapse -
7MP Digital Camera Camcorder 15x Zoom & 2 Inch LCD-7530
by gaston2 / January 21, 2006 2:50 PM PST
In reply to: Good ebayer

I just won a bid to purchase this camera, first time I am hearing of this brand name, the features appears to be very good and interesting, I then decided to make some investigation before I purchase, I am glad I visited this forum, I will not be purchasing this device, will search for a known brand name and hope for the best..

Thanks you all for this very important information....

thans again......

Collapse -
loving the SVP camera
by challiott / March 9, 2006 5:56 AM PST

I got the svp camera from e-bay and i love it. camera work like a dream. I have no problem with the camera. It's a 7515 model. I first saw the camera on e-bay on paid for it. Then i when on cnet a few day later to see what people think of the camera. I was think did i buy the wrong camera. i try to stop the payment but it was to late. but when the camera came. i love it. it was a like size camera and the picture quality it great. you can even made video with the camera. WOW. i think it was a GREAT buy for me and my family. We take the camera on all the family trips and school plays. my son even took it with him on japan. He loved the camera and got one for himself after on e-bay. So to the people at SVP and e-bay good job.

Collapse -
Another shill praising SVP crap selling on eBay.
by Kiddpeat / March 10, 2006 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: loving the SVP camera

His/her one and only post on cnet posted the same day he/she joined.

Do NOT buy new cameras on eBay. Reputable people selling new, reputable cameras do not sell them on eBay.

Collapse -
This is insane.... SVP is great Im more than happy with it
by Glengardener / June 15, 2006 2:20 AM PDT

wow i cant believe all the people on this forum bad mouthing things that they dont know about.. in all honesty how many people have even baught a svp product. I got a $120 digital camera at futureshop and took crap pictures so i took it back. I spent the same amount on an svp and it takes much better pictures. who care!!! even if there is a "bad" name behind it or even if there are lies being told about how great it is, the point is for somthing of that price will get worse. lets see i can by some piece of crap name brand camera that takes worse pictures or for the same price i can buy a not so well rated camera and get better pictures. sure, i bet many of you haters are going to say im employee or, you cant trust this person because look at how they just rejesterd to leave this message. well I just signed up to leave this message is true because I was reading these and was filled with rage. Seriously you can look at the 20 people on here that are upset or you can look at the 4000 people on ebay that are happy. but you know... if you have nothing better to do then sit around and talk poorly about someone and somthing else and make up the most rediculous internet lingo like " a shill" then by all means go on with it. If your considering buying an svp camera go for it! they are cheap in price and great to play around with without having to spend alot of cash.NO im not going to reply to this because i have better things to do, like actually being happy with what i have. So try all you like to say im ignorant and everytying else but know that i wont read it because well... I really dont care

Collapse -
To: NIBISCUS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 11, 2006 2:21 PM PDT

How about a challenge?

Go to this link and look at the sample photos:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a410_samples.html

Look at the sample photos at full size.
They are full size while downloading.
Then they reduce in size.
Place your cursor on the reduced size photo for 3 seconds.
An icon will pop up in the lower right corner of the photo.
Click on that icon and the photo will return to full size.
Now look at the details in the photo.

Now do the same thing with a photo taken with your SVP camera.

NOTE:
The sample photos came from a camera that costs $107 (including shipping).
It is 3 megapixel and has 3X optical zoom.

Is your photo better?

Collapse -
thinking
by jmyersnh / April 14, 2006 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: US Mail

When you go to store and by something and after some time dont like or has to return do you ask them to pay your gas for car (same as you want S/H to be paid back)?????

Collapse -
TRYING TO SEND BACK THIS "JOKE" OF A CAMERA
by jeanna phillips / January 22, 2006 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: Gifts...

HOW DO I GO ABOUT SENDING THIS CAMERA,I RECEIVED AS A XMAS GIFT, BACK. IT QUIT WORKING 3 DAYS AFTER I RECEIVED IT. I HAVE TRIED A DOZEN TIMES TO CONTACT NOWINC COM. AND GET NOTHING BUT THE RUN AROUND. HAVE YOU HAD ANYONE TELL YOU THEY WERE ABLE TO RETURN THEIR CAMERA WITH A FULL REFUND. I HAVE A LAWYER AS A FRIEND AND I AM THINKING SERIOUSLY ABOUT GETTING HIM INVOLVED TO SEE WHAT HE CAN DO. ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN SHARE WITH ME WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED......THANKS.JEANNA PHILLIPS

Collapse -
please let me know if you get anywhere
by dolfan1220 / January 30, 2006 1:36 AM PST

I am having the same problems, I would really appreciate it if you could help me out and share any information you get with me.

Collapse -
It's not the camera that's a joke
by BABYGIF / February 7, 2006 1:16 PM PST

The biggest problem with that company is their customer service is non existant. All I ever got out of them is, "we're the wholesaler" or something like that. I'd be quite happy with my camera if this company really backed up their product with good customer relations but they could care less. I've had fairly good luck with it for the time being though.

Collapse -
let me explain these "12 megapixel" cameras
by sgtdisturbed47 / February 8, 2006 1:15 AM PST

since 3 or 4 megapixel pictures are pretty high qulity, most people won't know that the camera that they have is not actualy 12 MP but in fact 3 or mabe 4 MP. SVP and Gigxon sell fraudulent-quality cameras. These cameras aren't found in stores for a reason.

Collapse -
let me explain "12 megapixel" cameras by SVP and Megxon
by sgtdisturbed47 / February 8, 2006 2:44 AM PST

These SVP and Megxon cameras use "near neighbor interpolation", which simply uses software to make the pixels larger, therefor making the image blocky. The actual image quality that you should expect form these SVP cameras is 3-5 megapixels. So, when u go to buy a "12 megapixel" camera, and you see the word "interpolated" next to the image quality, it means that it is digitaly enlarged, thats all.

Collapse -
how do you return it?
by bobbyball43 / October 25, 2006 12:30 PM PDT

I bought the DV-12P too! (sucker) I had to exchange the first one and after waiting 4 weeks for it to be returned this one won't save to the memory card and I tried format on the camera and I don't have a card reader as suggested. But if this isn't 12 MP as advertised can't I ask paypal for a full return? how do I show or prove it's not 12 MP's? If I get a return from the guys on Ebay they keep like 20% and that's just wrong!!

Collapse -
To: Bobbyball43
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 12:26 AM PDT

Here is a link to the SVP website.

http://www.svp-tech.com/12p/dv12p.htm

Notice the top line says CMOS sensor - 3MB

It is repeated again further down in the specifications.

The sensor determines the actual megapixels for a camera. They state (in the specifications) that it is 12 megapixels by interpolation. But if the sensor is 3 megapixel.....the camera is 3 megapixel.

Interpolation is nothing more than making a photo larger using software or firmware.
Interpolation will result in a degraded image.

They can argue that it is not fraudulent advertising because the real CMOS sensor size is stated in the specifications.

But it is .... intentional misleading advertising.

None of the major camera makers use this type of advertising.

Collapse -
what would you like
by svptechaid / February 9, 2006 9:30 AM PST

yes svp is the wholeseller. what can the servers department to do for you. please contact us if you have any question about your camera. and tell us that you got the e-mail from c|net. thank you

Collapse -
SVP will fall, and I will celebrate when it does
by sgtdisturbed47 / February 9, 2006 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: what would you like

You aren't understanding what is going on... your company sells misleading cameras and camcorders and you have mislead the public by stating on your web site that you are using teh best technology and that u r working with major name brand camera and camcorder companies, wich is a lie. NO big, good company would EVER have anything to do with you. Don't try to fix something of this magnitute. Your company is already going to be under investigation from the Better Business Bureau. Enjoy your job while u have it.

Collapse -
!!!DON'T LET THEM STEAL YOUR MONEY!!! GET IT BACK!!!
by buter / February 10, 2006 5:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Try SVP CDC8610, I donno how much more I'm going to love it
by Archie7748 / March 7, 2006 12:45 PM PST

This SVP CDC8610 is by far the best camera I ever used. It is so clear and the speed is so fast. I compare it with other brands like Kodak and Sony, they worth twice as more and not as good.

Collapse -
SVP crap shill alert. Another person posting within minutes
by Kiddpeat / March 7, 2006 2:42 PM PST

of joining cnet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.