Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

svchost.exe - Application Error Message- On Bootup - XP

by sugarbear246 / March 19, 2011 3:46 PM PDT

When I first Boot Up my Computer I get an "Error Message" that Says: (Svchost.exe - application Error 0x7c919af2 "THE MEMORY COULD NOT BE WRITTEN"?
NOT SURE WHAT THIS ERROR MESSAGE MEANS?
****I RAN CHKDISK TO TRY AND RESOLVE THE PROBLEM, BUT NO LUCK? I'm hoping someone there has knowledge regarding the Error Message?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: svchost.exe - Application Error Message- On Bootup - XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: svchost.exe - Application Error Message- On Bootup - XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see one possible solution in Google
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2011 10:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 20, 2011 9:01 AM PDT

Yes, I can still "Boot Up" normally...AFTER I APPLY THE "OPTIONS" GIVEN.
THE OPTION ARE: Press "OK" TO TERMINATE THE PROGRAM, AND "CANCEL" TO "DEBUG" THE PROGRAM.
I'VE APPLIED BOTH REMEDIES TO NO AVAIL?
Now! I performed your suggested solution to "TURN OFF" AUTOMATIC UPDATES..."RE-BOOTING", AND "UPDATING MANUALLY"....BUT "NO UPDATES WERE AVAILABLE" AND THE "ERROR MESSAGE" PERSIST?
Anyone Else got any ideas How to Solve this Annoying Problem?
Thanks;
sugarbear246

Collapse -
Ahh, good clue.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2011 10:06 PM PDT

Firstly I would turn back on Automatic Updates. I was unsure about that option anyway and what you say tells me it wasn't that.

However you have given a good clue. Windows boots up normally and works, but you get this message when Windows loads. It is possible you have deleted, (or uninstalled), something which used svchost.exe, but remnants remain. Perhaps a virus or other malware scan? Or some unwanted application you uninstalled?

Whatever, it might be that this, 'thing' added an entry to the Registry "Run at Startup" section, and if that registry entry wasn't cleared properly it is looking for this item at Startup.

Try this.

Open XP's "System Configuration Editor". Easy to do that, go to Start > Run, type in MSCONFIG and click OK.

In the System Configuration Editor window that displays, go to the Startup tab. Look down the list for anything that seems unusual or unwanted. It may not be obvious so some testing or elimination process may be required, and Google will help you there.

If you find anything, remove the tick, then click Apply/OK. When you next bootup XP will tell you that it has started in selective mode, but that message is easily disabled from within that window itself.

See if that solves this.

Mark

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 21, 2011 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh, good clue.

Thanks Mark! I turned "Automatic Updates" back On...So that's OK!
I took your advice and opened "MSCONFIG" and looked for Suspicious entries. I found 1 for my Printer...(THE ENTRY WAS THERE TWICE), But WHEN I "UNCHECKED" IT AND TRIED TO SAVE THE CHANGES "IT WOULDN'T LET ME"...IT SAID I NEEDED TO HAVE ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVELEGES. I have the only Account on my computer, and "I AM" LOGGED IN AS THE ADMINISTRATOR"?
I Went into "Safe Mode" as the Administrator and I got the same Message when I tried to Uncheck the One Entry and Save the Changes?
It's telling me I need "ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVELEGES TO MAKE THE CHANGES, BUT I DON'T KNOW "WHERE TO GO" IN XP TO ASSIGN ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVELEGE? I THOUGHT I ALREADY HAD THEM?
Help!
sugarbear246

Collapse -
That's interesting
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2011 10:09 PM PDT

Have you had any virus or other malware damage recently?

As a double check against malware, (in addition to your current anti-virus), I would download, install, update and run both the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Perform full scans with each, one after the other.

Mark

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 22, 2011 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: That's interesting

I have Malwarebytes running all the time in my System Tray, and it scans everyday at 10:00 AM. I will download SUPERAntiSpyware and see what it finds.
DO YOU KNOW WHERE I WOULD GO IN WINDOWS XP TO ASSIGN ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVELEGES. I THINK I NEED TO LOOK INTO THAT SITUATION AS WELL.
Thanks;
sugarbear246

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 22, 2011 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: That's interesting

Hey Mark! I ran both SUPERAntiSpyware, and Malwarebytes and the Only Things Found were (40 Tracking Cookies)...Good thing I got rid of them, but My original svchost.exe - Application Error Message Still Persist on Startup. Not sure how to solve this...and Just as an Addendum to my already stated problem...it appears that Although the only Account on my Comupter is My Own (AS ADMINISTRATOR)...I AM NOT GETTING FULL ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVELEGES WHEN I TRY TO CHANGE CERTAIN WINDOWS FUNCTIONS? NOT SURE WHAT THAT'S ABOUT...INTERESTED IN A SOLUTION THOUGH!
Thanks;
sugarbear246

Collapse -
Administrator Priveleges
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2011 6:17 AM PDT

There are no, (or very few), Administrator Privilege settings in XP. Your account is either an Administrator account or it is a Limited User account.

The fact that you are now beginning to see all these admin lockouts seems to me to suggest a bad or corrupted account profile. This can happen sometimes, especially when users have been using Registry Cleaners, or Optimizers, or such, or with virus damage. You mentioned you have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware installed, but you don't mention any anti-virus.

The first step is to check you are still an Administrator. You can confirm that in the Control Panel > User Accounts. Also, if you right click your Start Menu button, you should see the option for "Explorer all users". If you don't see that, then your account is a limited user account.

Second step is to try the hidden System Administrator account. In XP that can only be accessed by rebooting into Safe Mode. The hidden Administrator account will display on the Welcome Screen then. If you have given it a password, then use that. If you haven't just click OK.

From there you can try the things you are unable to do in your own account. You can also change your own account from Limited user to Admin.

Third step. If your account is still marked as an Admin account then it is likely corrupt. That's not as disastrous as it sounds. Microsoft has guidance for creating a new account and transferring the settings for a corrupted profile to the new profile.

Mark

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 22, 2011 7:39 AM PDT

Hi Mark; Let me try and answer each question you had in order. It appears I have 2 Problem, and I hope you don't mind my taking care of both problem here?
1St. Problem: svchost.exe - Application Error Message- On Bootup - XP
2nd. Problem: Corrupted Account Profile
Questions to Answer:
1. My Antivirus is "Norton Security Suite"
2. In my Control Panel..."User Accounts" there is only 1 Account (My Account) as Administrator.
3. I Accessed my Hidden System Administrator Account in Safemode (Again)...and I get the Same results..."NO CHANGES COULD BE MADE...IT IS TELLING ME "AN ACCESS DENIED ERROR WAS RETURNED WHILE ATTEMPTING TO CHANGE A SERVICE. YOU MAY NEED TO LOG ON USING AN "ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT TO MAKE THE SPECIFIED CHANGES". I AM the Administrator?
4. It appears that I may Indeed have a "Corrupted Account Profile"
Now, you suggested a "Microsoft" fix for this problem? How can I access this fix, and is "This Problem" RELATED TO THE "svchost.exe - Application Error Message- On Bootup - XP" Problem?
Seems this whole situation is getting more complicated by the Post!
Smile!
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 22, 2011 12:17 PM PDT

Hey Mark...sugarbear246 again! I search Microsoft's Knowledge Base and found the "Fix for a Corrupted Account Profile"...The suggestion was to create a New User Account...and to Log On the "Old Account"..."Windows Explorer" and Copy/Paste files from Windows Explorer to "New Account" That worked just fine, but the Other Suggestion in the Knowledge Base Article was to Export my Email Account Information to the "New Account"...ACCESS WAS DENIED TO ME AND I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO COPY ANYTING? So the New Account is created, but I am probably going to DELETE it, and just Stick with my "Old User Account".
I guess my Original Problem: "svchost.exe - Application Error Message- On Bootup - XP" is my Only Concern at this point.
I WONDERING IF THE "WINDOW INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY" WILL CLEAN UP THIS APPLICATION ERROR MESSAGE. MAYBE I'M GETTING THIS MESSAGE BECAUSE WINDOWS IS LOOKING TO INITIALIZE AND "START" THIS PROGRAM? What do you think?
Thanks;
sugarbear246

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 22, 2011 3:39 PM PDT

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM ON MY OWN! HERE IS A LINK I FOUND, after a Google Search: THAT SOLVED THE "svchost.exe - Application Error Message- On Bootup - XP" Problem!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/error-message-on-boot-up-svchostexe-application/a1d7a2c2-2a9b-4145-a149-04ac389c0ffa

1- Go to Control Panel

2- Administrative Tools

3- Services

4- go to the following Service : ( Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework ) Right Click then choose Properties ----> in the start up type choose Disabled.

5- Then reboot the system.

That fixed it for me.

Thanks Mark for Your Persistence with my dilemma! I appreciate the time you took to help me!
Thanks Again!
sugarbear246

Collapse -
Well that's an interesting solution.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2011 10:56 PM PDT

Glad you found it and very good work.

Now, this Access Denied problem is a bit of a worry, especially since it also happens in Safe Mode, and with a new profile.

I notice you say you have Norton Security Suite. Any chance the license/registration is 'out of date'? We have sometimes seen strange effects when Norton has expired. If not, (if you have renewed your Norton package license recently), then how about exploring Norton's options and settings carefully.

It is a powerful suite and has many options, (not that I know first hand because I haven't used it), but it provides settings to prevent unauthorised access, and I wonder if it's security settings are too high.

I know that Norton will automatically disable the Windows System Restore utility because it has it's own backup/restore, and perhaps your Norton suite is preventing you from making admin changes.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.