Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Suspected Compatibility Issue between Word 2007 & 2010

by Kainunable / September 12, 2010 3:01 AM PDT

Hi,

I have Office 2007 on my work pc (running XP), and Office 2010 on my home pc (running Windows 7). I took one of my Word docs (saved in 2007), and opened it on the home pc in Word 2010.

I did my changes, and then clicked save. I could see that the document was saved in Compatibility Mode - as the name on the top tool bar was "Doc Name" (Compatibility Mode).

Document saved all ok - no problems. File size was reduced from 1500 KB to 500 KB at the point of saving the file, though.

I then tried to open the file on my work pc in Word 2007. Nothing happens. Word opens, but the actual document does not. I only have the option for "New" and "Open", and everything else is greyed out.

Anyone have any idea what this issue is? I have the compatibility pack for 2007 installed on my pc.

Suggestions appreciated...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suspected Compatibility Issue between Word 2007 & 2010
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suspected Compatibility Issue between Word 2007 & 2010
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us more about this Word 2010.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 12, 2010 6:54 AM PDT

Is it a trial version of Word 2010, (Office 2010), that came pre-installed on your computer or that you have downloaded from Microsoft?

If it is the full retail version, is this problem the same with all documents, or just this particular one?

Have you tried different ways to open this document in Word; eg, double clicking the file itself, or open Word, then goto File > Open, navigate to where the file is and selecting it? (I know Word 2010 now has the ribbon menu options, but I still refer to them by the older method).

What happens when you try both?

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by Kainunable / September 12, 2010 5:41 PM PDT

No, this is a trial version of 2010. I downloaded & installed Office 2010 trial (30 days) after a system reinstall (2 weeks ago, so the trial is still valid).

Last night, I installed the following on my work pc (Windows XP):
- Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- And a number of security-related updates for Office 2007.

This seems to have done the trick. I am now able to open the document, although interestingly enough, the file size is 500 KB vs the previous 1500 KB. Structurally, the document looks sound, nothing missing, nothing corrupted.

I assume that I just needed the update on my work PC in order to open and work with files that had been saved in Office 2010.

Thanks for your assistance Happy

Collapse -
Glad you solved it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 12, 2010 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Nice work, and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.