Linux forum

General discussion

Suse 10.1 newbie, just one question

by alfredootoya / October 1, 2006 12:54 AM PDT

I'm really new in this linux stuff , I already installed it and maked many things work out.
My question is, where are the grub files located?

When I installed SuSE I didn't use the MSB record to install it , i did it on sda , so when I format c: (where windows is located) I loose the grub (i did it several times in the past).

What can I do to avoid this, without inserting the disc and making an update?

A Norton Ghost image of C: will save the grub information?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suse 10.1 newbie, just one question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suse 10.1 newbie, just one question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Suse 10.1 newbie, just one question
by netgk5815 / October 20, 2006 2:59 AM PDT

PC's (A.K.A. - Wintel computers) boot by first reading the master boot record (MBR) from the first hard drive, usually preferring the master hard drive on the first (or primary) IDE channel. It takes a BIOS setting change to make it look elsewhere.

When you installed Linux, GRUB was set up on the MBR on your (Windows) C: drive to allow setting up a multi-boot system. When you format C:, you kill the MBR and loose GRUB.

I'm a newbie myself with Linux or I might be able to give you more information. I understand the Wintel boot sequence and very basic multi-boot setup with Linux and GRUB, but I am afraid I don't know how to help you out of this situation.

A workaround (an undesirable one, I think) would be to install Linux with the C: drive unformatted (or blank) and instruct Linux to put GRUB and the initial boot data on the sda drive using the BIOS settings to change the boot location between sda and the Windows C: drive.

Collapse -
Reply to: Suse 10.1 newbie, just one question
by vixenk / October 20, 2006 8:57 AM PDT

I've never used SUSE, so I don't know if this is something you can do on that distro, but...

Some distros allow you to reinstall Grub from their cds without reinstalling the entire OS again.

You can also install Grub to a floppy or bootable cd so that whenever you reinstall Windows, you don't lose Grub.

Collapse -
Suse 10.1 Repair
by Owyn / October 20, 2006 9:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
And after you have booted Suse
by Owyn / October 20, 2006 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Suse 10.1 Repair

"Easy way is once you have installed windblows, boot from your Suse install cd, select 'boot from hard drive' which will find and boot into your linux.

From there go into yast/system/bootloader, click the 'other' button and select 'propose new configuration' which should pick up your new install, then click finish."

Same link as above.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.