Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Survey pop up

by phil66 / February 18, 2009 10:57 AM PST

When I opened the Browsers forum I received the following pop up message:

Voice Five TM
Tell us what you think--Click here to participate in a short survey.

Yes NO

Privacy Policy

I have adblock plus and using Firefox 3.06 with ads blocked.

What is this??? What will it take to make it go away??? This is the second incident of the message.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Survey pop up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Survey pop up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is a new advertisement of sorts...
by John.Wilkinson / February 18, 2009 2:25 PM PST
In reply to: Survey pop up

I have it blocked, but off hand do not know which filter specifically removes it. Next time it comes along I will check it out and let you know.

Collapse -
This blocks it in Adblock Plus...
by MelH / February 25, 2009 3:47 AM PST

Collapse -
I get it too, or used to . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 24, 2009 12:34 AM PST

It's Flash. If you're using Fire Fox you can disable Flash.

And it's PITA!

Collapse - pop-up survey
by telecomdog / November 13, 2009 11:51 AM PST

I hate What a POS!!!! These surveys are driving me crazy and slowing down my computer every time the new window opens. I believe (at least in my case) that it is an AOL related issue. I think AOL hired voicefive to do these surveys because the survey window seems to pop up every time I am replying to an email in AOL. Here's what I have uncovered so far about this problem.

First, it seems to be immune to the AOL pop-up block setting. It also doesn't come up as malware so it isn't found by McAfee or Adaware when I do a scan. I emailed voicefive twice ( and have gotten no reply (big surprise). I have also emailed the threat lab at McAfee (you can do the same from their website). No response, naturally. I also performed the following and it seems to make the pop-ups come up less frequently but they are not totally gone:

Go to the privacy page on the voicefive website here...

...then scroll down about halfway down that page to the paragraph titled:

"Are cookies used by your website or your application?"

In that paragraph you'll see a hyperlink that says "click here." Click on that link and it instantly puts a cookie on your computer indicating that you've opted out of their lame surveys. Beware though, if and when you clean out your cookies, you'll have to do this again to put the opt-out cookie back on your hard drive.

Hope this helps. If anyone figures out a difinitive solution, please post. Thank you!

Collapse - pop-up surveys
by telecomdog / November 13, 2009 12:40 PM PST

I just registered as a site reviewer on McAfee Sitewatch. I posted a review (negative, of course) about the excessive pop-ups. I hope others will follow suit so maybe we can shame them into stopping the madness! Here's the link. Click here, scroll down to the bottom and then click "register to review this site."

Collapse -
how can i stop
by Donniealways / July 14, 2010 6:20 PM PDT

not sure how this started but i am most always on aol, this voicefive pop up has me so annoyed over the last week, i have tried everything i know to get rid of it but tonight, i came here to catch up on e-mail but this pop-up has come on so many times that i didn't get anything done except try to figure out how to get rid of it. i have tried clicking on the privacy statement to opt out, doesn't work. i have submitted 6 times, requesting them to stop and the they sent me links that my computer would not open and then tried to explain to me how to block pop-ups and then said they would UNsubcribe me to something i never subsribed to but it may take up to 10 days and today, they say they cannot do anything to stop it because it came from a web page i 'viewed' clue what that would have been. it's the pop-up from hell!

Collapse -
Which browser?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 14, 2010 8:24 PM PDT

If you are using Firefox I would suggest installing the AdBlockPlus add-on, and then subscribing to the EasyList(USA) list.

If you are using IE8 then I have found a workaround for installing AdBlockPlus to that;

But that is not an official solution.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.