Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Surround Sound for Ps3

by edubya42 / June 4, 2008 11:50 AM PDT

Alright I am looking to get surround sound for my PS3, can anyone reccommend me a system for under $400 that will be compatible?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Surround Sound for Ps3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Surround Sound for Ps3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / June 4, 2008 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Surround Sound for Ps3

Two things:

1: Sorry, bit of a pet peeve... It's "recommend TO me" or "recommend FOR me" or something along those lines... "recommend me" sounds like something you'd hear out of those poorly dubbed Godzilla movies, or that "All your base are belong to us" that is now iconic of some of the really poor translation efforts of yesteryear.

2: If I'm not mistaken, the PS3 has optical/TOS-LINK output abilities, so any surround receiver or home theater in a box system that has at least one optical input, will work. And while on the general subject.... Optical cable is optical cable. There's no such thing as a PS3 optical cable or an Xbox 360 optical cable. It's just an attempt by some shameless companies to sell maybe a $5 cable for $15-20. ANY TOS-LINK cable will work. So, if you're at a Best Buy or something like that, be sure to check in the home theater section as well as over by the game consoles. Sometimes they'll have better deals in one place or the other. One other tip... Unlike other cables, where there is some marginal benefit to be had by buying the "gold plated" versions... Optical audio/TOS-LINK cables are all really pretty much the same. There's really no benefit to buying a $20 Monster brand TOS-LINK cable vs. some $10 no-name cable. Probably came out of the same factory off the same production line, one just got put into the Monster bag while the other went into a no-name bag.

Collapse -
Panasonic SC-PT760
by johnbuker / June 5, 2008 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things

I agree with the above advice regarding cables. The only thing I would disagree with is the price of cables at Best Buy and the other box retailers- it probably depends on where you live, but here their selection of cables is slim and what they carry is all very, very expensive. I couldn't find an HDMI cable at my local Best Buy for less than $40. Ordered some good high quality HDMI cables online for $3 a piece, so my suggestion would be to shop online for cables.

As far as recommending a surround sound system, I recently purchased the Panasonic SC-PT760. There is a good review of it here on CNET and I wrote a review of it here too. It's under $400 and it works well with my Xbox 360 (don't own a PS3). My only complaints about it would be it could use some more audio inputs and it only has one digital audio input. Because of the one digital audio input, I run the audio (and video) from my 360 to the TV with an HDMI cable and then a digital audio cable from my TV to the surround sound system (as opposed to running a digital audio cable directly from the 360 to the surround sound system).

Collapse -
Try an Onkyo HTIB
by p_hogard / June 6, 2008 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Surround Sound for Ps3

Onkyo makes some great HTIB's that can really pump out powerful sound. The Onkyo HT5100 has 7 speakers, three HDMI inputs, and an IPod dock if you're into it. Crutchfield has it for $449. I know it blows your budget, but be patient and come up with the extra cash. This system has all the power and options you should need. It's always worth it to spend extra if you really want a good sound system.

Collapse -
by At The Opera / June 6, 2008 4:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Try an Onkyo HTIB

Onkyo has some excellent refurb deals from time to time if you check their Club Onkyo site. I recently picked up an admittedly old HTIAB system, but the receiver it came with had 2 optical inputs and 1 digital coax input, along with about 4 component and composite video inputs. I forget the model offhand, but it was about $120 shipped, and included a free refurb DVD player. It may have been a refurb, but it looks absolutely brand new. It was an unpowered sub, but it was $120, how wrong can you go for an entry level HTIAB system at that price?

You can also get 10 free Club Onkyo points for signing up, and that translates into $10 off your purchase. Just be ready to pounce when they have some good deal, because stock will tend to go fast once word goes out on sites like slickdeals.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.