Mac Applications forum

Resolved Question

SURPRISE!! Chrome Attached to Adobe Reader Download

by Victoria24b / January 11, 2013 4:36 AM PST

Mac OS 10.6.8

I downloaded Adober Reader by clicking in an email and Google Chrome is attached. Big SUPRRISE! The download: chrosza_dy_aih.dmg

I can not uninstall either AR or Chrome by dragging to the trash. I get an error message 8003 that the trash can not be emptied.

I went to the Adobe site and tried downloading Adobe reader again and thought that it would replace the existing one, but no, now I have two Adobe Readers.

How can I uninstall both the Adobe Reader and Chrome applications?
Please please help if you can in very simple terms.
Thank you.

Victoria24b has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SURPRISE!! Chrome Attached to Adobe Reader Download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SURPRISE!! Chrome Attached to Adobe Reader Download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Victoria24b

Collapse -
Woah. Email?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 4:51 AM PST
Collapse -
SURPRISE!! Chrome Attached to Adobe Reader Download -
by Victoria24b / January 11, 2013 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: Woah. Email?

Thank you. It was in an email from my long distance provider so I assumed that it was safe. I finally called Apple and spent 1 and1/2 hours with a manager who figured it out.

He kept trying to reset in Terminal but the computer did not respond as it should have. The simple way was reinserting the 'application install' disc and running Terminal from their.

My advice apropos of this experience is never install any Adobe download, except directly from their website.

Collapse -
When it comes to downloading and installing,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 9:28 PM PST

make sure that you read EVERY page as you step through the installation process.
Do not just click Next, Next, Next until done.

One one of those pages, the question "Install Chrome (Recommended)" was displayed and the answer box already had a checkmark in it.
You agreed with the answer, in that you did not remove the checkmark, and so Chrome was installed.

This happens a lot, for a whole slew of software. Be aware, read each page before proceeding.

Collapse -
When it comes to downloading and installing
by Victoria24b / January 12, 2013 3:36 AM PST

That is a good general rule however that is not how this happened.

The two applications were ATTACHED! When I clicked to install the Adobe Acrobat Reader it somehow installed the Chrome. Not sure how this happened because I unchecked the Chrome. In any case after six hours total of aggravation, it is now solve.

My question is how could that happen in the first place? This was the download: chrosxa_dy_aih.dmg, if anybody comes across this don't download.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 12, 2013 7:12 AM PST

If you still have that email, I would get on to your long distance provider and give them an earful.

Collapse -
You are right. I will.
by Victoria24b / January 12, 2013 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting,

Not that I think that it will do any good as the person I would be speaking with is not on a pay scale where it would make a difference.

Collapse -
(NT) True, but it's always good to vent!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 12, 2013 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: You are right. I will.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.