Tablets forum

General discussion

Surface RT or Surface Pro

by zekea / December 21, 2012 6:16 AM PST

I got a surface RT 64 and a touch cover as a gift but when I heard the Pro was coming out next month I returned it for an Amazon credit.
The lack of Outlook being available on the RT & the complaints I read about the limitations of apps on RT were the main deal breakers for me.
Now I'm thinking that the new Surface Pro will have half the battery life and that's a bigger problem.
I'm really looking for a windows laptop replacement
Should I have stayed with the RT and simply used my offices Outlook online version?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Surface RT or Surface Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Surface RT or Surface Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you OK with a Restricted Tablet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 6:55 AM PST

Windows 8 RT, as it stands today will only allow software that you get from the Microsoft Store. Windows 8 RT is unlike any PC you've ever heard about. Are you OK with Microsoft being your sole source of all applications?

The apps have no limitations. It's only limitation is if Microsoft will allow it and if the authors will put up with Microsot.

8 Pro is more like your regular Windows PC. Open choices.
Bob

Collapse -
by zekea / December 22, 2012 2:21 AM PST

Sorry I don't understand your reply.
I'm asking specifically about the pros and cons of the Surface RT and the Surface Pro.

As I mentioned I got a surface RT 64 and a touch cover as a gift but when I heard the Pro was coming out next month I returned it for an Amazon credit.

The lack of Outlook being available on the RT & the complaints I read about the limitations of apps on RT were the main deal breakers for me.

Now I'm thinking that the new Surface Pro will have half the battery life and that's a bigger problem.
I'm really looking for a windows laptop replacement\

Should I have stayed with the RT and simply used my offices Outlook online version?
Or get the Pro using my $700.00 credit?

Collapse -
Re: Windows laptop replacement
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 2:48 AM PST

The choice of Windows 8 tablets is rather restricted at the moment. The choice of Windows 8 laptops is nearly unlimited.
From your post, it's not clear at all why you want to replace a laptop with a tablet. So no real advice is possible, I think.

Kees

Collapse -
It appears you are a prime candidate for 8 RT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 4:59 AM PST

It appears you are ready for the restricted tablet that is Windows 8 RT today.

Be aware that the battery life span is still unknown. Many devices come with 300 to 1000 cycle batteries so are you OK with the 8 RT I'm seeing today if you buy a new battery yearly?

If so it appears you can live with all the current restrictions and planned life span.

You also will not be worried by Microsoft's attitude to buyers of their locked down, no upgrade machines. That is, you are fine with being run over by the bus. Here's what they did with Windows 7 Phone users as they changed to RT.
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-of-course-we-threw-windows-phone-7-buyers-under-the-bus-7000000222/

If all this doesn't bother you, then you are ready for a Windows 8 RT tablet.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows laptop replacement
by zekea / December 22, 2012 10:48 PM PST

Hi Bob,
I like the idea of having a very small, light, portable touch screen, that's not an iPad.

Something that will run Office. (excel, word, & outlook)

The closest thing to a "Windows Ipad"

If this is possible with the Surface RT or Surface Pro then I'm ready.

Keep in Mind that I'm spending $700.00 less than anyone else because I have a gift credit...
Which of these 2 machines are right?
And if not these 2 then what should I be looking at?

Zeke

Collapse -
Have you ever owned an orphaned device, OS or app?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 5:28 AM PST
Collapse -
by zekea / December 22, 2012 10:50 PM PST

Hi Bob,
I like the idea of having a very small, light, portable touch screen, that's not an iPad.

Something that will run Office. (excel, word, & outlook)

The closest thing to a "Windows Ipad"

If this is possible with the Surface RT or Surface Pro then I'm ready.

Keep in Mind that I'm spending $700.00 less than anyone else because I have a gift credit...
Which of these 2 machines are right?
And if not these 2 then what should I be looking at?

Zeke

Collapse -
I hear you Zeke.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 1:18 AM PST

I can't make this decision for you. While I like MSFT's design choices, the draconian restrictions on Windows 8 RT plus the past history of Microsoft on they last Windows RT OS show us that the device is only for those that can live with all that I presented here.

Windows 8 RT is not a Windows Ipad. Windows 8 Pro might be that but what we have come to accept as Windows features such as installing our choice of software does not exist in Windows 8 RT. Windows 8 RT also does not run any prior Windows apps even if the restrictions were lifted.
Bob

Collapse -
SO IM GONNA GET THE SURFACE PRO
by zekea / January 6, 2013 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: I hear you Zeke.

as i understand it the Surface Pro doesn't come with Office loaded at all.

so how do you buy the software?
use an external drive?
download from site?

Collapse -
Answers to the Pro.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 1:06 AM PST

1. You buy software just like you do today for other Windows.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

You load the software from media, web as you see fit.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.