Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

Support Help

by Ray_moe / December 15, 2009 10:32 AM PST

You suggest using Support or feedback!!!
Well here is a response to a support inquiry!!!!

The answer was like the summary of how the system works that I had submitted and asked why it works that way????
The other half of the question was not addressed??

Hello,

Thank you for your query! The shortcut that is installed on your desktop is a link to the item in your task bar and can be deleted if you find it cumbersome. From the taskbar you can simply right-click on the TechTracker icon and choose "Scan Now" to perform a scan. It will then only take you to your TechTracker page if you have updates to download and you direct it to do so.

In short, the shortcut on your desktop can be deleted and everything you need can be done through the icon in your taskbar.

Regards,
Mike
CNET TechTracker Support

http://www.cnet.com/techtracker
CNET member 12/10/2009 06:26 PM
Tech Tracker is listed in the login toolbar and then you added another toolbar next to the status bar.
Why do we have to have two listing.

I use Tech Tracker manually to check for updates.
To do so I have to open the icon on the desk top then open the icon in the task bar then scan the system and then open the app page.
That is a lot of steps Why can we not just scan and open a current app page from the desktop icon in one step.

Other update program open that way. Why is Tech Tracker different.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Support Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Support Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Support Help
by Tucker Green / December 16, 2009 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Support Help

Hello Ray_moe,

Our intent is to make a user's TechTracker page easy to find and to make sure new user's know about it. The TechTracker login link is only visible if you use TechTracker. For users that don't use TechTracker, the bottom toolbar serves as a call to action to learn more. For users that do use TechTracker, the bottom toolbar is redundant in that it is another way of getting to your TechTracker page, however, it does provide a snapshot of your scan results, which you can't get at the top. You can collapse the bottom toolbar by clicking on the arrow on the far right. We're continually evaluating the TechTracker experience, so thanks for the input.

For manually checking for updates in the way you described there is a Setting that can improve the experience. In the Settings menu found as a result of either left or right clicking the TechTracker icon in the system tray there is a setting for "Scan immediately when CNET TechTracker launches". If you have this set to yes, TechTracker will initiate a scan when you launch the app by double clicking on your TechTracker desktop icon. When the scan completes, the balloon notification is shown. You can click on it and your TechTracker page with the most current results will open (assuming you are already logged in to cnet.com). We didn't have the TechTracker page automatically open at the conclusion of a scan because many users find it disruptive to be working on their computer if focus is abruptly taken away to another application, e.g., in the case a person initiates a scan and starts working on something else. Knowing this now, how might that change your request?

Collapse -
Support help
by Ray_moe / December 16, 2009 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: Support Help

Tucker

Thanks for the reply
The explanation of why there are two listing on the web page is very well received and understood. I have had the toolbar at the bottom hidden.

As for the manual scanning I have the scan immediately function checked prior to this request.

That function does not scan as you indicated. These are the steps that occur when opening tech tracker as you suggested.

Single or double click on desktop icon opens icon in taskbar.
Single click taskbar icon opens panel with multi-functions including scan,settings,etc.
Double click on taskbar icon open multi-funtion panel an also opens app page. This page is results of the last scan function and not a new scan.
The balloon only shows up if you do a scan from the multi-function page.

I guess I am wanting more automation than the program is capable of handling.

Anyway thanks for the reply and your attempt to help me eliminate steps needed to manually scan my system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.