Laptops forum

Question

Suggestions needed to buy a Laptop

by infocratsweb1 / October 10, 2012 4:35 PM PDT

Hello Guys,

Please help me in buying a laptop urgently, I would like to keep my budget minimum possible, I can not exceed INR 20K - 22K i.e $400 - $450,

Usage: Office work, would require to work continuously for eight to ten hours that include heavy surfing (50-60 tabs at a time), medium gaming, HD movies and Wifi connectivity.

Must Have:
HD Display Type
HDMI Port
HDD Capacity 320 GB or more
Size 14" or more
Memory 2 GB DDR3 or more
Architecture 64-bit

Not Required:
No OS required
No Anti Virus Required

It will be good if it have:
USB 3.0
Chicklet Keyboard
HD Web Camera
Battery Backup of over 3 hrs
Less Heating

Here are some products I am looking:
HP 450 Laptop (2nd Gen PDC/ 2GB/ 320GB/ DOS) - INR 22890/. ($420)
Acer Gateway NE-56R Laptop (2nd Gen PDC/ 2GB/ 320GB/ Linux) (NX.Y1USI.005) - INR 20768/. ($380)
Lenovo Essential G580 (59-344833) Laptop (2nd Gen PDC/ 2GB/ 320GB/ DOS) - INR 23722/. ($435)

Can I get a I3 in this budget?

also Please tell me which to prefer in Pentium Dual Core 2nd generation or Pentium I3 1st Generation?

I have also seen few I3 Laptops nearly with same budget.

Please suggest me which one could be better for me.

Thanks all in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestions needed to buy a Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestions needed to buy a Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
About that no OS required. NO SAVINGS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2012 4:49 AM PDT

And can dash the would be buyer's hopes of lower cost and more.

As to your other questions, you would shop and see if you find offerings of what you want for that price range.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply: About that no OS required. NO SAVINGS.
by infocratsweb1 / October 11, 2012 11:03 PM PDT

Hello Bob,
Thanks for your reply, but I am really sorry, I didn't get what you have just said. Can you please elaborate it once. If you mean that I should go with a laptop that comes with genuine operating system, I would say that I like to use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which is free to download so I do not want to increase cost of laptop in buying a Genuine OS.

Collapse -
Re: Ubuntu laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2012 11:20 PM PDT

99% of all laptops in the shop come with Windows, 1% comes with Ubuntu, 0% comes without OS.
So not having Windows is an excellent selection criterion.

Be sure to check the list of Ubuntu certified laptops if it doesn't come preinstalled. It's on http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/ (yes, that includes laptops).

Kees

Collapse -
Look at Kees reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2012 4:24 AM PDT

Given you move from mass manufactured laptops to 1% of the market the price increases. Since Ubuntu is just a free download, I can only guess you didn't learn why demanding the laptop come with Linux or no OS actually increases the costs.

But it is something you can learn about. Maybe first hand.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Your not going to get a
by orlbuckeye / October 16, 2012 2:52 AM PDT

laptop without an OS on less you buy a boutique brand Sager or Prostar. A place like Exotic PC where they configure the systems themselves they offer system with no OS. The reason is the other have agreements with Microsoft and must have Windows. I know some companies did offer Linux machines but you better checks with Dell or Hp and the other vendors.

Collapse -
Alright
by infocratsweb1 / October 18, 2012 4:47 PM PDT

Hello all,

Firstly I thank you all for replying and giving me proper advice,

Secondly, now I have understood that I won't save money by buying a Laptop without OS. So please help me buying a laptop with same requirements just without the OS point.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 18, 2012 6:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Alright

In your first post, you already had a shortlist of 3 different one. Why not choose one of those?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Laptop (Kees)
by infocratsweb1 / October 29, 2012 6:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: laptop

Hello Kees,

I will definitely go with a Laptop in these three but, I wanted to get details that which one is best and most reliable, as here I expect to get views of experts who are highly experienced in the market.

Collapse -
Answer
XoticPC does offer systems with NO OS
by orlbuckeye / October 18, 2012 9:30 PM PDT

The price for OS is

No OS = 0
Win 7 Home Prem. = 80
Win 7 Pro = 140
Win 7 Ultimate = 190

When you buy from say Best buy, Newegg, Amazon you get as is PC that OS and components can't be altered by the retail. The OS is installed in factory with the licensing agreement and price built into the computer.

The last desktop I purchased was a Gateway loaded and form the beginning the Graphics card didn't reach it's potential resolution that was documented in the manuals. Support would just blow me off. I upgraded the OS from WIN 95 to Win 98 with a retail version from Office Depot. Well finally the Graphics card would only display 640x480 resolution and I called support again and they asked what OS. They then asked if I purchased the OS from them and I said no. They said call Microsoft since I didint buy windows from them. What is did is researched the graphics card Gateway put in the PC and went an purchased it on my own. WOW is was able to achieve the resolution the was documented with the system.

The laptop I bought from Sager with no OS. It had a graphics card issue under the warranty coverage period. They didn't ask which OS is had and asked me to remove the HD and they would test with their own. The probelm turned out to be the GP which was part of the mobo so they replaced it and shipped back to me.

I sent my Acer back for warranty work this past summer. When I called it is I asked do I need to remove the HD. They said no and send the system restore DVD's. They said they aren't responsible for lost data and you responsible for your own backup. I was't worried about lost data but I was worried about personal data.

That is one advantage of getting a laptop without an OS is the warranty. If you do get a system with an OS and you want to cahnge the OS MAKE RESTORE DVD's in case you have to send it back you can restore it to what you got itr was. The acer i talked about I added a SSD drive and moved the HD to the 2nd bay. When I sent it back for warranty work I removed the SSD and put the HD back as the boot drive. I also had chenges the wireless card so i had to install the driver on the HD to get on my wireless network before i sent it for repair.

Collapse -
RE: XoticPC does offer systems with NO OS
by infocratsweb1 / October 29, 2012 7:03 PM PDT

Hello Orlbuckeye,

Thanks for these details.

But please help me in selecting a best buy for Laptop. I am puzzled a lot cause I am not able to select a good machine.

Please look at the three choices that I gave and tell me if I can finalize any of them.

Regards

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.