Site Feedback forum

General discussion

by 21118826526094447552400713125677-21118826526094447 / December 14, 2009 1:31 PM PST

I tried TT on a new computer before I had removed the trial-ware, so now my software list includes all of these trial programs which I have no intention of ever using.

The TT web site should allow me to delete these items from my software list. After all, it is my list, why not let me delete anything I want?

I realize that I could hide these, but that is not good enough. I want to use this hiding feature for programs that I am no longer using. I would rather delete the programs that I never have and never will use.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: suggestions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Tucker Green / December 15, 2009 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: suggestions

Thank you for using CNET TechTracker app and the suggestion. Did you rescan your computer after removing the trial-ware? TechTracker app's My Software list is designed to only display the software you have installed on your computer. Rescanning should remove these applications from your My Software list. To rescan your computer, click on the TechTracker icon in your system tray (if TechTracker app is not in the system tray make sure its running by opening it from the Windows Start | All programs menu). Then click on "Scan Now". When the scan is complete open your TechTracker app My List page or refresh the page so your scan results reflect the most recent scan.

Collapse -
that helps
by 21118826526094447552400713125677-21118826526094447 / December 15, 2009 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: suggestions

Thank you for clarifying that.

I rescanned my system and some of the apps that I wanted to delete disappeared from my list - as you suggested.

Some of them, such as the Office 2007 trial applications, did not disappear but I think that is because they are not really gone. I guess there is no way to truly uninstall some trial ware.

I understand though that this is Microsoft's fault and not TT's. In the case of MS Office, I find this rather strange: you would think that MS would want everyone else to write well behaved apps for Windows so they would set a good example!

Collapse -
One possible reason...
by John.Wilkinson / December 16, 2009 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: that helps

Trial applications almost always leave some traces behind so that users do not simply uninstall the trial after the period has ended and then reinstall it, a potential avenue to avoid paying. In addition, they also frequently leave behind user preferences, even if they are the default preferences, so that 'you can pick up where you left off' should you purchase/reinstall the application down the road. And that does not even take into consideration all of the files/registry entries that many program uninstallers should, but fail to, properly delete. Unfortunately, TechTracker and other applications can pick up on those traces and assume the application is still fully installed. You can run programs such as CCleaner to remove many of the leftovers, but you will inevitably have to ignore some false-positives.

Collapse -
by 21118826526094447552400713125677-21118826526094447 / December 16, 2009 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: One possible reason...

Thanks for explaining the situation to me. It's a bit annoying for me because I never wanted or tried MS Office 2007 in the first place. I guess I will use the TT hide feature to hide all of the entries related to trialware.

Collapse -
Fire Fox
by hogndog / December 23, 2009 2:23 PM PST
In reply to: trialware
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.