Cameras forum

General discussion

suggestion for DSLR camera for beginner

by keepsim / July 4, 2013 11:22 PM PDT

Hi guys

Just want some advice on which do you guys think would be a better camera for me and why.

Nikon D5200 or D3200
OR
Canon 100D or 700D

my budget is £500/$750

What I need is easy to use camera and really I do Not intend to use alot of photoshop so I would prefer more auto-mode shoots and kind of ready to use picture out of camera .Also I expect to shoot alot of indoor pictures.

I read somewhere Nikon does not offer image stabilization does it mean picture could be blur if shot on moving objects.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: suggestion for DSLR camera for beginner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: suggestion for DSLR camera for beginner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nikon - Canon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 5, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

You will be pleased with any of the four cameras.

All of the cameras offer lenses with image stabilization.
It is built into the lens, not the camera body itself.
It is very helpful when photographing moving objects.

The only real difference is "features".
The D5200 and 700D have articulated LCD screens.
I would like to have that feature.

Choosing either Nikon or Canon goes back over 50 years.
Nikon owners say choose Nikon.
Canon owners say choose Canon
Which speaks well for both cameras.

Visit a store that has both models and see how they feel in your hands.
Choose the one that feels right to you.

You can leave them in Auto if that is what you want.
But there are times that you will achieve better results by using one the the manual modes.
I suggest you experiment with the manual features too.

Collapse -
Agree 100%
by oterrya / July 12, 2013 4:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Nikon - Canon

I could not have said it better.

The only thing I would add is regarding lenses. They are going to drive you over your budget, later if not right away. I would strive for your initial lens to be a modest 18-55mm zoom -- it may even come with the camera in a kit. It will give you a little wide angle and a little zoom for a modest price. (Just about everything else will be more expensive -- $300 and up for the lens alone). Please do not make the mistake of getting an aftermarket lens because it is cheap -- it is cheap for a reason, your pictures will show the difference. I recommend sticking with the Canon or Nikon optics that match your camera choice.

Actually the Nikon D5200 with that same lens is on their website for $799.95. It would be a good starter for you. If your requirements are modest, you may not need any more.

I am much less familiar with Canon, but if you find a combo you like there, I do not think you could go wrong.

Collapse -
Your First DSLR
by Bill_Gosby / July 8, 2013 10:23 PM PDT

I would suggest ..What is your requirement as a photographer. Which is the area you want to delve in?

Indoors - you said..well 5200 is a better option there for low light. But i think you may go over budget with that with the lenses. I am a nikon fan so can't comment much on canon.

Collapse -
Image Stabilization
by PistonCupChampion / July 8, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

All the cameras would be fine. But in regards to image stabilization,it is designed to prevent blur from camera movement. It works quite well when the shutter speed is slower. What it cannot do is prevent blur from subject motion. For that, you need a faster shutter speed...and to get a faster shutter speed, you need to use a higher ISO and/or a wider aperture lens.

Collapse -
You'll get many suggestions.
by jdonalds / July 12, 2013 11:54 AM PDT

I went with Sony mirror less cameras. They are reasonably priced, produce great images, have a large selection of lenses, and some features not found on Canon or Nikon. Sony makes sensors for Nikon so the company is quite competitive. Sony puts image stabilization in the body, frame rates of 10 GPS, built in flash, high ISO, panorama auto stitching, in camera HDR, hand held night time shots, and lots more features are at your fingertips.

Collapse -
Regarding: "Sony makes sensors for Nikon ... "
by oterrya / July 12, 2013 4:28 PM PDT

Note: Nikon both designs its own CMOS image sensors (CIS) to be fabricated by a foundry partner, and sometimes uses CIS components from its camera competitor Sony.

What you indicated is not quite the full story. Actually a complete story would indicate which model had which kind of sensors.

Collapse -
True
by jdonalds / July 13, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

True Sony makes both Nikon designed sensors and Sony designed sensors for Nikon. It is interesting to note that the highly regarded Nikon D800 uses a Sony designed sensor. My point is Sony has camera offerings worth considering and they are quite competitive.

Collapse -
Not exactly
by oterrya / July 13, 2013 4:11 PM PDT
In reply to: True

Not quite what I said.

Some of the sensors designed by Nikon are made by Renesas which I think has some sort of a partnership with NEC. This is not Sony. please update your "facts".

Collapse -
Have you thought about...
by Zouch / July 12, 2013 8:12 PM PDT

Hi,
I'm a Canon fan, have been since the mid 70s and film cameras.

Either of the Canon cameras you suggest will be very satisfying - the 100D being MUCH smaller and lighter than the others but still taking EOS lenses. The 100D is relatively new and so doesn't yet have a track record of reliability, etc, while the 700D is the latest in a long line of full size starter DSLRs, whose quality and reliability is excellent.

I think, though, that the 700D may be pushing your budget a little. Have you thought about its immediate predecessor, the 650D or the one before that, the 600D. Here in Australia (never cheap for this stuff!) there is about $50-$150 difference in price for essentially the same camera, less a few bells and whistles. Stock in the stores is limited, especially for the 600D but it might be worth pulling up a feature comparison chart from Canon or one of the photo magazines (where you can compare the Nikons also) and see whether the extra features on the newer models are useful to you.

General advice holds here - get a body that meets your needs and focus any additional cash on the lenses.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET's Oh, Snap! Sweepstakes

Enter for a chance to win* a 360-degree camera

Do you Snapchat? We want you to snap for this sweepstakes and give you the chance to get your hands on the Theta S so you can make your very own 360-degree videos.