Storage forum

General discussion

SugarSync - isn't it overrated?

by pomozki / December 6, 2012 11:47 AM PST

I've used this site for a while and it seems highly rated but I have 1-2 major issues. Does anyone else agree?
For example, they offer real-time chat support - but in reality the helpers work out of Hyderabad, India and very often have no idea how to help. They are under instructions to resist efforts to refer queries to the experts ... who are Americans and work at the same time in California.
The program has a window which shows the progress of file uploads/downloads and also allows the user to set priorities so key files are processed first. This window is very often blank, which is a major problem. The helpdesk spent an hour trying to convince me all I needed to do was shut and reopen the program. I knew this was nonsense and insisted on speaking to someone in the US and, once through, they took 10 seconds to reveal there was a problem in the program they were trying to sort out. Shocking and very frustrating waste of one hour.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SugarSync - isn't it overrated?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SugarSync - isn't it overrated?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How much is that product?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 12:02 PM PST

I think it was free and as such may be worth as much. I hope they can finish it someday.

Wait a second, did I just reveal it's not finished? Don't tell anyone.
Bob

Collapse -
what planet are you on?
by pomozki / December 6, 2012 4:23 PM PST

your answer had nothing at all to do with the question - or was that the point of it?

Collapse -
This is a discussion forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 12:16 AM PST

And it's what I remember when I tried this system.

Did you try it before you paid? I find a few that make that mistake.

Again, this is a discussion forum with a little member to member support. If you lash out at others you find members stay away. Just thought you'd like to know that.

-> You did present the fact the system is still being worked on ", they took 10 seconds to reveal there was a problem in the program they were trying to sort out" so this is pretty much my finding as well when I tried it a few months ago.

Was there more to be said?
Bob

Collapse -
re SugarSync
by pomozki / December 7, 2012 9:52 AM PST

well it's still got bugs but it's well established and quite well known
sorry for lashing out - I honestly didn't know if that was an answer to the question

incidentally, can you recommend a good cloud site?
thanks

Collapse -
I'm still searching myself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: re SugarSync

For now I'm using the Amazon Cloud that came with my Kindle Fire and the free DropBox for some stuff on a project I'm working on.

I know a lot of folk want a cheaper option to DropBox but those guys have it wired. I like it.
Bob

Collapse -
in case you're being serious
by pomozki / December 6, 2012 4:25 PM PST

I have a 250gb account and it's costing me $300 per year ($25 a month)

Collapse -
SugaSync Feedback & Other Cloud Options
by leyonchung / December 27, 2012 7:09 PM PST

Well SugarSync is among the best cloud storage option in town. But it is pretty obvious that it also has some deficiency that can't be neglected. As you clearly mentioned in your question that you have faced some dreadful customer services from their support department, and the main reason was that the guy dealing was from an Asian country rather than US one. I have been using SugarSync for 6 months and my experience with them are good enough. Haven't experienced much about customer support.

If you are looking for more online cloud storage options, then you will find dozens of companies offering storage services to a great extent. My personal choices are Dropbox and JustCloud, they are good enough and affordable as well.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove promotional link on 02/20/2013 at 9:17 AM PT

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks but what about your own cloud?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 1:04 AM PST
Collapse -
1 other defect in SugarSync
by pomozki / December 28, 2012 12:01 PM PST

I completely forgot the most serious defect - apart from the ability to prioritize uploads/downloads (which as I said often doesn't appear), SS also claim their system detects minor changes to files so that you don't need to upload the entire file again. For example, if I change the name of a song or its artist or another single tag, SS should detect this and only make the minor change.
sadly, it often doesn't. I bulk-changed details for many songs recently, SS didn't detect this and instead of taking a few seconds to effect minor changes, it took hours and hours to upload all the whole songs again (I have many songs in the clouds)
thanks for the recommendation re Dropbox (I already have) and JustCloud - does anyone know if they can also detect minor changes (e.g. file names) and not re-upload the entire files again?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.