Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Suddenly my cdrom won't support ripping???

by corinascot / January 30, 2005 9:56 AM PST

I'm a novice at this. I bought a Creative Muvo 256 and I installed the software it came with to rip several audio cd's onto my player. It's worked just great for weeks. Today, when I tried to rip a track, first it would just sit there with a big zero as progress, and the I got a message the "this cdrom doesn't support digital ripping". I could still rip the track using Window's Media Player, but it just wouldn't work with my Creative Organizer. I'm not very tech saavy and I'm confused. Can someone enlighten me??

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suddenly my cdrom won't support ripping???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suddenly my cdrom won't support ripping???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DRM
by rcgcfn / January 31, 2005 5:47 AM PST

What Album is it?

DRM quite litterally sucks, I believe you are having this problem. Where the CD is copyrighted with a special code or something that doesn't allow you to rip/copy it the "regular" way. WMP probably required the license automatically and it is not protected by DRM. Is it MP3 or WMA?

Collapse -
It's the Metallica black albumn
by corinascot / January 31, 2005 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: DRM

I could get it to rip using Window's Media Player, but not using my Creative Organizer. I think it's mp3...like I said, I'm a novice. Hmmm. You think it could be that particular CD? I'll have to try another and see what happens.

Thanks!

Collapse -
DRM
by rcgcfn / January 31, 2005 12:31 PM PST

Well, I believe I remember some companies implementing a copy protection device into them. That happened with one of my CDs.

Collapse -
Metallica
by rcgcfn / January 31, 2005 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: DRM

And wasn't Metallica the one that started the suit against Napster?

Collapse -
Yes, Metallica did sue Napster.
by corinascot / February 1, 2005 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Metallica

But if there's something on the CD itself, why can I rip tracks using Window's Media Player?

Collapse -
Same problem- it's not the cd...
by ekulo / February 7, 2005 5:05 PM PST

I recently encountered the same problem, getting the same error message. I tried older cds that I had already ripped and still got the same error message. It just started happening 1 day and I haven't been able to fix it yet. It is very frustrating now that I can't rip any cds anymore... anybody else have any suggestions or encounter this problem? Please help if so.

Collapse -
More or less the same problem
by jim59 / February 8, 2005 1:42 AM PST

I recently got a Prima Beatmate PM-MP3-SW1 player. Initially the included disc gave a link to a cd/mp3 ripper which worked really well and was very simple to use. ( It had to be! )
Now when I click on the ripper icon it just plays what ever cd is in the pc. There is no sign of a track listing and option to rip, in fact nothing appears on screen... the music just plays.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
figured it out and fixed it
by ekulo / February 8, 2005 5:03 PM PST

After much messing around and web surfing, I got my cd drive back to normal, allowing me to rip cds again. It turns out that some of my SCSI drivers were deleted and/or corrupted. I essentially had to replace and update these drivers. I found a web site that explained it all and helped me out. Note that this is for WIN 98 SE, although the same drivers are necessary in recent versions of windows, too. I'm sure you can find info pertaining to your windows version with some simple surfing. Check out this site for a detailed explanation (jump down to the "Problems" section for the meat of the info):

http://www.datman.com/tbul/dmtb_028.htm

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.