Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Forum Feedback & Announcements

General discussion

Suddenly can't download any Webshot photos!

by lesboy66 / July 24, 2008 / 11:00 PM UTC

It is Thursday evening July 24 and I have suddenly developed a serious problem with the website WEBSHOTS which I had used for almost a year (first as a free and then as a premium member). Here's the problem: Till now I would use their SEARCH and choose a topic I wanted photos from. I would receive a bunch of thumbnail photos with the beginning of the header...then I would click on either and it would open up that photo; always a part of someone's photo album. To save I would have to hit the line that said "Full photo" and then once gotten that I would right click on the enlarged photo and I could then "Save as..." and it would enter the My Pictures file automatically.
This was working fine this morning but when I came home this afternoon and I tried to download and name and save a new photo; suddenly nothing came up when I right clicked...nothing! I sadly called a computer "geek" company listed on the Net and they had me go through a series of steps; like cleaning out my files using C Cleaner, etc..but after spending 40 minutes with nothing working; the guy on the other end tried to download Webshots photos himself and found nothing happened either. I wasted $97! ($1.99 a minute) I also see that other sites still allow me to right click and download as before; so I figure it is something happening with Webshots.
Checking on the Internet I see that Webshots is famous for being anonymous with no direct phone or email. As a premium member it says I have access to email a tech; but when I tried to click on that option it brought me to a screen containing FAQ q and a's but no direct opportunity to question anyone or even alert them to the problem. There is a feedback option with no promise of reply..so I sent several notes there.
First, I am wondering if other folks reading this can test out Webshots to see if they, too, get no screen when right clicking on their enlarged photos. And what might be the cause and a solution, if any? And is there a way to alert Webshots to let them know of this problem if they are unaware.
I love downloading photos and am at my wit's end because of a feeling of helplessness. I am hoping that this is a problem they are facing temporarily and that the previous ability to download a photo will return. After all they advertise that they have thousands of free photos to download! Or might they have done something to prevent future downloads; even though this is one of their main attractions?
Can anyone out there give me any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suddenly can't download any Webshot photos!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suddenly can't download any Webshot photos!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This works for me
by PudgyOne / July 25, 2008 / 2:40 AM UTC

if I use Mozilla Firefox but NOT with Internet Explorer 6.

Rick

Collapse -
Wierd Rick; tried Firefox...still doesnt' work here.
by lesboy66 / July 25, 2008 / 5:46 AM UTC
In reply to: This works for me

It is now 5:30am Pacific time and I woke up so I thought I'd check to see if anyone had answered yet. I saw your post so immediately tried all my internet browsers: Internet Explorer, AOL and Firefox. None works for me..so that is disturbing. Once again, when enlarging photos on all and then attempting to right click to add to My Photos; I received no box with the Save option. I wonder what's going on.

Collapse -
I have
by PudgyOne / July 26, 2008 / 4:15 AM UTC

NoScript on my computer and maybe that's why I can do this.

Rick

Collapse -
cant right click
by volvob12 / July 28, 2008 / 8:01 PM UTC

Hi Rick. Simple answer.. open image..click full size.. when image is full size go to top left of your browser...File...Edit..View...etc.. Click "File" scroll down to save page as....my pictures.bingo!!Bernard

Collapse -
I don't have the problem
by PudgyOne / July 30, 2008 / 11:56 AM UTC
In reply to: cant right click

I use Mozilla Firefox with NoScript. I can make the image big and I CAN also right click on the image and save as.

NoScript does some nice things from time to time.

Rick

Collapse -
webshots right click downloads
by jrc2411 / July 25, 2008 / 1:57 PM UTC

I don't know what they are thinking but, they have disabled the right click java script pathway to prevent an image from being "saved as". Unknown if this is a temporay "problem" or a method to force people to download thier software. The only solution I can do now is to enlarge the thumbnail as you have always done before and while on that page go up to toolbar and click "page" ( this is for Vista os )scroll down to "view source" click on 'view source' and a note pad box will appear. Along the text thread highlite and copy the first line that has jpg indicated for example:
http://image60.webshots.com/660/5/75/28/2811575280026019152sWQuAo_fs.jpg ..Open another window an paste the url in the url box, hit enter and the image will be abled to save. Why do they do this ?????

Collapse -
Workaround
by trdmlc / July 26, 2008 / 2:42 AM UTC

I found a simpler solution.

First, open up the folder where you will be saving the pictures to (ie, My Pictures). You can minimize this window now.

Second, go to the picture that you want to save on webshots and view in fullsize, as you've always done.

Now, the 'My Pictures' folder should show up down in your task bar. Simply click and drag the picture you are viewing down to the 'My Pictures' folder, which will then pop up, and you can drop it in.

If you do this trick with IE, you will get a prompt asking are you sure you want to move or copy from this zone. There are some reg hacks that will disable this. Just do a google to find 'em.

If you use Firefox, there is no prompt. The pictures just get copied.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Suggested solution worked..thanks so much.
by lesboy66 / July 27, 2008 / 9:17 PM UTC
In reply to: Workaround

Thanks so much for the help...trdmc...I tried your solution and it worked. I only wish I hadn't wasted nearly $100 on a Computer Geek online service who spent 40 minutes at $1.99 per minute trying to figure out why I couldn't download from Webshots BEFORE he tried it himself and saw it wouldn't work with him either...and that the problem was on THEIR end, not mine.

Collapse -
Please note..problem is back worse than ever as of 8//14
by lesboy66 / August 14, 2008 / 10:17 PM UTC
In reply to: Workaround

Hi..I just posted a new thread saying that it is now impossible to copy photos into My Pictures...You had given me a foolproof solution before of right clicking on the enlargement and then pulling the mousse into My Pictures. Then magically the problem disappeared..but suddenly tonight it is back worse than ever. Now when I enlarge, and right click; it won't allow me to save the picture to My Pictures; instead I get a little box with options to Zoom Out, Zoom In, etc and trying to move the mousse over to the My Pictures toolbar does nothing. Can you figure out a way around this? I am VERY frustrated again!

Collapse -
That sounds like
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 15, 2008 / 2:05 AM UTC

they have tightened up their web site html code, to disable the normal right clicking or dragging options. There is little that we can do about it here.

Two things about your posts though.

I'm undecided whether to lock this thread, and allow your new thread to continue, or to lock that one, and allow this one to continue. We try to prevent duplication of advice and guidance in these forums, as that can get very confusing.

Your choice. Which one shall I lock?

However the 2nd thing I need to raise is, why is this in the "Forum Feedback" forum anyway? This is a forum for discussing CNET Forum difficulties and matters, and not anything else. I'm not being picky here. It is just that most members don't visit this forum unless they have forum matters to discuss, and so you may be missing out on a lot of good advice and possible solutions.

Why don't you repost your problem in another forum. The forum listing link at the top (CNET forums), will give you a list to choose from. Personally I would choose Computer Help. You can always provide a link to this discussion for background information.

Mark

Collapse -
Replying to your note, Mark
by lesboy66 / August 15, 2008 / 7:44 AM UTC
In reply to: That sounds like

Mark,
Thanks for tip on the better place to put questions. I did indeed just post a similar question on the Computer Help section. You can definitely lock the original post of several weeks ago on Feedback Forum and if you wish, can lock that new one too, (although I'd like to see a maximum number of suggestions). Just, please, leave my new post on Computer Help open.

Thanks so much!

Collapse -
cant right click in webshots.
by volvob12 / July 28, 2008 / 8:04 PM UTC

Simple answer.. open image..click full size.. when image is full size go to top left of your browser...File...Edit..View...etc.. Click file scroll down to save page as....my pictures.bingo!!Bernard

Collapse -
I wonder.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 26, 2008 / 1:09 PM UTC

Not a criticism, but I wonder why some of us pay for images that may well be available for free on the internet. Perhaps not precisely the same ones, but images that are as good and as interesting.

If Webshots has no easy method of contacting them, and they resort to disabling Javascript so that even fully paid up members cannot download the images, doesn't that tell us something Webshots?

I would find other sources.

Mark

Collapse -
webshots
by shrinkg / July 26, 2008 / 11:34 PM UTC
In reply to: I wonder.

just adding ONE more who is in the same spot, can't download from IE NOR from Mozilla... I like this past time and have enjoyed it for 4 years! not a happy camper with Webshots.
jg

Collapse -
Install the add-on
by PudgyOne / July 27, 2008 / 12:14 AM UTC
In reply to: webshots
Collapse -
back to normal
by jrc2411 / July 30, 2008 / 2:31 PM UTC

As of today, Wesnesday, 30 July, things appear to be back to normal at Webshots. I guess they fixed the "problem"...hope it lasts..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon