Desktops forum

General discussion

Sudden Computer Re-Start

by billvonr / December 16, 2012 11:58 AM PST

I'm running an HP desktop (Pavilion Slimline s7600n) with Windows XP, used mainly for e-mail, internet, and MS Office applications. Lately, the unit is shutting down unexpectedly -- the screen 'Going to Sleep' appears, then immediately goes into restart mode. Very annoying, not to say unexpected loss of documents in process, etc.

I would welcome any and all suggestions on this problem and how to diagnose the issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sudden Computer Re-Start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sudden Computer Re-Start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How long since you cleaned it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 12:32 PM PST
Collapse -
by billvonr / December 16, 2012 1:34 PM PST

I'm pretty thorough on maintenance. Physically, I keep PC equipment clean and wiped down. Very liberal with the compressed air to get the dust out, including opening the tower and giving it a good blast. Software and OS wise, it gets daily care, deleting browsing history and temporary files. A more thorough cleaning of extraneous files weekly with Easy Cleaner, and at least once-a-month full system scan with Norton. Systems and software updates are all current.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / December 16, 2012 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: Cleaning.....

Since this is a slimline unit it is a little more difficult to deal with but just from what you have said and since you have basically followed standard procedures, as per Mr. Proffitts link..hmmm. I am thinking heat, lack of cooling might be creating your shutdowns. On a regular tower we'd pull a side panel and see if perhaps the CPU or a cooling fan was not doing it's job well enough, creating enough heat to create a shut down. And of course it could be the PSU starting to drop out, similar effects to yours can/could be created by a whimpy PSU.

Collapse -
The basics done, now for your 100,000 mile service.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: Cleaning.....

There is a bit of work we do on older machines that usually is never done since folk replace the cranky machine since a service counter will be around 100 or more to do this. If we DIY it's a few dollars. What is it? Replace HEAT SINK COMPOUND on CPU and possibly the GPU.

Some owners will trot out temperature readings so you nod and hand the machine back if they insist that's not it. But it's something I've done too many times.

Yes, it could be an old power supply but the owner or PC has given us clues to the non-operational fan by them.

There are some older machines that you just hand back. One of the ones on this list is at the top of the list is any Socket A machine. These are not accepted for repair since owners may think you can fix that model. That one is well beyond its service life and owners that want them fixed have to go elsewhere. No reason for the shop to get a bad rep over a machine that was repaired and still is cranky.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.