Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

Resolved Question

Submit not acknowledged

by JP Bill / February 22, 2012 8:40 PM PST

when responding to a post, I preview my post and click the submit button, it is not acknowledged....however if I reload the page, the post I made is displayed.

JP Bill has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Submit not acknowledged
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Submit not acknowledged
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by JP Bill

Collapse -
Tried reproducing this with no success.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 23, 2012 4:28 AM PST

JP, I tried to reproduce this in the test forum, but without success. Tried FF10, IE9, and Chrome and every single time using preview and edit several times, and it displays the confirmation every single time.

How often does this happen to you?

You've been actively posting in the forums for years and I doubt if this is what you are seeing... but I figured I'd mention it --sometimes when the reply form sits up high in your browser window and you submit your post-- the submission form will close and display the confirmation message up top and outside of the viewable browser window, so you may miss it. Do you think that is the case here?

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Next time it happens to me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 7:50 AM PST

I will post an image Lee

You're right that sometimes the submitted post can raise up, but what I see, (or don't see), and I think the same with JP is the following note and options;

Thank you, MarkFlax, your post has been submitted.
> Click here to view your post.
> Track this discussion.
(may or may not be present depending if you ticked that option before submitting)
> Bookmark your submission
CLOSE
(button)

What I see is just the CLOSE button.

Not for every post, but sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.

I'll get that image.

Mark

Collapse -
It's just done it Lee
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 8:12 AM PST
Collapse -
Reading JP's replies
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 7:23 PM PST
In reply to: It's just done it Lee

I see that we have different issues, so I will withdraw from this and let you concentrate on his problems, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Actually what you are seeing is not a bug...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 24, 2012 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: It's just done it Lee

Mark,

This happens when the API for whatever reason (system delay, hiccup, or outage), is unable to return the message ID fast enough in order for it to produce the clickable link to your post. So this is the fall back messaging that gets displayed to the person in those circumstances to let you know your post was successfully entered into the data base, but may not be immediately available. Usually under most conditions, your post is immediately viewable with a page refresh, it's just the system was slacking off a bit...

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Now on to figuring out JP's bug...

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
It does, and
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 4:02 AM PST

it figures.

Thanks Lee.

Mark

Collapse -
RE: How often does this happen to you?
by JP Bill / February 23, 2012 11:36 AM PST

Every time...using FF10...Just tried IE it works properly.

I enter the text in the message box, Preview then Submit OR enter the text in the message box and Submit.

when I Submit....nothing changes on my screen....until/when I refresh the page...then my post is displayed.

With FF 10 I do not get

Thank you, JP Bill, your post has been submitted.
> Click here to view your post.
> Track this discussion. (may or may not be present depending if you ticked that option before submitting)
> Bookmark your submission
CLOSE (button)

I do get the above with IE.

It's not a case of being out of sight.

Thanks,

Bill

Collapse -
Here is what I see
by JP Bill / February 23, 2012 12:11 PM PST
Collapse -
Hmmm strange that it happens everytime.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 24, 2012 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: Here is what I see

And you can reproduce this in the test forum consistently on FF10?

Uggh cause I can't reproduce it at all on FF10 however it is a virgin--no plug in, ad blockers, etc...

Do you have browser plug in or ad blocker?

Thanks JP!

To anyone else reading this thread does this happen to you on FF10? Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Lee

Collapse -
Thanks Lee
by JP Bill / February 24, 2012 4:53 AM PST

Don't be pulling your hair out over this...I've Disabled Ad Blocker and No Script...trying something with Ghostery now...I think something in there is the culprit....I'll let you know what I find

thanks,

Bill

Collapse -
Check my thread in the test forum
by JP Bill / February 24, 2012 5:18 AM PST

Something happened/changed...tried different things...It's working now.

I don't know what I did to cause it and I don't know what I did to fix it?

Thanks Lee and Mark

Collapse -
LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 5:24 AM PST

There's a saying for that, "It's a Windows thing!" Happy

Glad it's sorted. I looked up Ghostery as it is not one I've heard of before. I wonder if there was a conflict between that and NoScript. I saw your thread in the test forum. I've never used that Visual Editor before.

There's a new kid on the block about tracking components. Called Do Not Track Plus or DNT+ as an add-on for Firefox and I've been testing it with ABP and NoScript and haven't seen any conflict or problems so far.

Mark

Collapse -
Ohh, I think you mean
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: LOL

the forum's visual editor. Sorry.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: DNT+
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: LOL

I've got the very strong impression that DNT+ messed up the ability to log in to these forums as soon as they added cnet.com to their blacklist a week ago.

It was quite mysterious: If I entered an incorrect password it was refused with an error message. If I entered the correct password there was no error message but I didn't get logged in either. Just nothing happened. Not only in Firefox, but also in IE. Not only in the account I had used to install the DNT+ add-on, but also in other accounts on the same PC (not on other PC's luckily). Uninstall didn't help. System restore didn't work. Even a new account didn't work.

So I was forced to do a clean reinstall of Windows 7. All was OK. As soon as I had restored my Firefox profile (from windows.old) it was wrong again. And that was the moment I realised it probably was DNT+ that caused it. Until that moment I didn't have any clue about the cause.
Alas, even deleting my Windows account (in Control Panel and the user folder on the hard disk separately) and making a fresh new one didn't help. System restore didn't help. So I had to do a second clean reinstall of Windows 7 after only 2 days. I was very careful to remove DNT+ from my FEBE backup before using that to restore all add-ons and all was fine again (and still is).
A real horror story, even with all my data being untouched.

No more DNT+ for me.
I might decide to invest some time to make an image of my OS disk and try again, but I've never done that and have no software (Clonezilla, xxclone, Acronis TrueImage) at hand, so it won't be anytime soon. I'm still too shocked to experiment.

Anyway, I learned how absolutely hopeless you can feel if you have a PC problem and can't solve it, as some of our members sometimes have.

Kees

Collapse -
Interesting
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: DNT+

and I agree with you, a bad experience. When I had problems with this current desktop I have, I had to send it back to the maker 3 times, I felt the same helplessness.

About DNT+. I'm still testing and so the jury is still out for me, but strangely I didn't have a problem with CNET nor, so far, any logins. But with CNET I was already logged in when I installed the add-on although I can't remember if a restart of the browser was required.

But anyway, I checked ADT+'s list whilst logged into CNET and I saw 6 tracking companies, of which one was 'not blocked, "Gigya". One other, CNET Tracking was blocked, but I allowed that.

Other than those I see two social network sites blocked, Facebook and Tweet, and one Ad Network, Neilson, also blocked. I didn't change those.

It's strange System Restore didn't work although I believe ADT+ saves special no-follow cookies, so perhaps SR doesn't restore those.

Glad you're all sorted now.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Happens to me quite often
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 8:46 PM PST

Yep it happens to me as well JP. I just do what you do and refresh the page,

I don't see any pattern to it and I haven't tested in other browsers as I use Firefox as my main browser.

Is this happening to you all the time or just on occasion? If it is now all the time then that is a change.

Mark

Collapse -
the last few days for me, in Test, Feedback and SE
by JP Bill / February 22, 2012 9:27 PM PST

using Firefox.

Collapse -
OK
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 9:29 PM PST

I'll alert this to Lee so they know and can have a look into it.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks
by JP Bill / February 22, 2012 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: OK
Collapse -
Thanks JP, l'll be looking into this shortly...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 23, 2012 1:04 AM PST

Thanks again for reporting it.

-Lee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.