Networking & Wireless forum

sub-networking with an adsl router/modem

by Ezeq76 / November 2, 2012 5:19 AM PDT

I'm trying to build a different sub network using an adsl router/modem left from my old ISP. (a Sagem F@st 2604 )

I first connected the old adsl router with my new ISP gateway (a Thomson TG784n) on the same net with a ethernet cable (NOT cross-over) connecting numbered Ethernet ports, (DHCP and wi-fi off) and all went ok (1).

Now I'm trying to put my PC and the old sagem F@st 2604 on the network , but I really don't know how to configure the different Ethernet ports in the sagem modem/router, I fear that I wont be able to configure the Sagem to behave as a switch(2).

(1) I don't know how this worked, but it did. Can you give any light on this subject?

(2) Is it possible to configure the sagem F@st 2604 to behave as a switch?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sub-networking with an adsl router/modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sub-networking with an adsl router/modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
1. No answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2012 5:26 AM PDT

2. Usually you just turn off any DHCP feature and viola, it's a switch.

Collapse -
Brige not Swicht
by Ezeq76 / November 2, 2012 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: 1. No answer.

It "bridges", but does not "switches".
I will make another run, and try to reconfigure it, one more time.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Brige not Swicht

I thought we didn't connect it to the WAN/Modem port. You only wanted the hub ports to work?

Remember that I tend to use the networking lingo so when you ask me about a switch, I'll include the non-switched hub as well unless you write more.

When we use these DSL modems for the switch, we would never use the WAN port. That's a given.

Collapse -
No WAN ports used
by Ezeq76 / November 3, 2012 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

Hi Bob

I'm only using LAN/Ethernet ports, at this moment I'm able to assign a secundary IP ( to them, and keep the old sagem f@st with the, but if I change my PC IP to I can ping the sagem, but can't access the internet.

The only way that can access the internet is keeping my PC Ethernet port in the sub-net. I don't know if this is a windows miss configuration or a bad router configuration.

My words and explanations, sometimes, may be lacking precision, that is because I'm just starting in the network field (studying) . For example, I'm having a hard time to understand was does the option "Enable Ethernet M2U "

Best regards

Collapse -
Post Script
by Ezeq76 / November 3, 2012 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: No WAN ports used

Is there any way to find out if this router as his 4 LAN ports working as a hub?

Collapse -
Hubs and switched hubs have no IP addresses.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: No WAN ports used

So that's very off in the place of weirdness.

All I've ever had to do was to disable DHCP and bingo, it's a hub.

Collapse -
a hub it is
by Ezeq76 / November 4, 2012 6:06 AM PST

ya! it's a hub. No more to it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.