Car Tech forum

General discussion

STUCK SUNROOF

by bjh1225 / September 8, 2006 9:36 AM PDT

Is there a method to close a stuck open sunroof on a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee ?

Thanks, bjh1225

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: STUCK SUNROOF
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: STUCK SUNROOF
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Electric Accessories...not working anymore/
by castingRod47 / January 17, 2007 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: STUCK SUNROOF

First off....Don't smoke cigarettes in a car..they wreck electrical switches..
I have had this problem w/Electric Windows..only..
I was a moderate smoker at the time..
I pulled out the seats and floor carpet on a HOT-sunny day..
and washed the floor carpet with Dish Washing Detergent..
Did the same on the luxurious Bucket SEATS...nice Valour...Burgundy...but thought to take the chance..
I was able to HANG the CARPET for Draining..
But the SEATS posed a problem since I used my Mom's Garden Hose to RINSE then..so I allowed them to DRAIN as much as POSSIBLE..
and poured Half Gallons of CLEAR AMMONIUM all over them to push out the remaining water..The Ammonnium was easier to have dry slowly..the remaining water would have rusted the metal parts..
That fairly well did it..I would be wary of this excersise if your CAR has lots of accessories installed in the SEATS..
I also POURED 70% Rubbing Alcohol threw the all the A/C VENTS..and allowed to dry..
......................................................................THE BATTERY MUST BE...dis-connected to do this..
If you have lots of ACCESSORIES I would NOT POUR anything thru the AC-VENTS..
Last I used a Spray Bottle to do the inside interior//ROOF and STUFF..
You'll need GOOGLES/
The car ran perfectly after this operation.....
It was my Tobacco Smokeing habit...that built up over a couple of years,,it fouled the Switches...the RADIO died early on..the ashtray being just below it.

Collapse -
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
by bjh1225 / August 2, 2007 6:37 AM PDT

My husband drove our '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee into the carport to do some engine work. He disconnected the battery. When he needed to move the carbefore doing any work on it, he reconnected the battery but it now will not start. All of the instrument panel is out, the diagnostic code scanner will not work. The tech at the code scanner company told us that it will not work if the 'check enging light' is on . With no instrument panel lights we don't have a way to know if that is the case.
Husband has checked all of the fuses and connectors with no results.
My husband is an expert 'connector person' and usually can solve any electrical problem. This has him stumped.
Any ideas on how to get this engine to start ?

Collapse -
same problem
by tommyjodie / September 9, 2007 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have the exact same problem that you did and can't figure it out.
Can you tell me if you fixed the problem, how you did it and what it was. This would be a great help if you can help me with this.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Stuck sun roof
by bjh1225 / September 15, 2007 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

It turned out to be a defective diode. We ordered one for $17 and my husband installed it. That fixed the problem and now the sun roof works great.

Collapse -
Sunroof 1998 Grand Cherokee. Opened but won't close.
by thomcat59 / September 23, 2007 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Stuck sun roof

I checked the electrical circuits and they all work. The intermittent wipers on the same circuit work as well. I believe it might be a problem with the motor operating the sun roof. Any advice or thoughts? Also is it possible to mechanically shut the sunroof? Thanks

Collapse -
found problem
by tommyjodie / September 10, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

I changed the bcm ( body control module). This controls the anti-theft system, instrument panel, and dcl. Now everything is working fine.

Good luck!

Collapse -
96 Grand cherokee dash board lights.
by les1956221056 / November 14, 2007 6:45 AM PST

I have a problem with the dashboard lights on a 1996 grand cherokee petrol. They don't come on,the gear selector light is also out.
The bulbs are fine, the fuse is ok and the dimmer switch functions as it dims the mileage reader. All the warning lights come on with the ignition.
Can anyone help.

Collapse -
Got the same dash light problem with my 96 Grand Cherokee.
by artco96 / January 4, 2008 8:57 AM PST

Hi all...I have a 96 Grand Cherokee and it has the same dash light problem that just flared up about a week ago. Everything works fine.. but no dash lights. I have been told to suspect the Headlight/dimmer control switch pod needs changed. Even tho the odometer light changes as you raise the dimmer control. I will find out tomorrow. Just another aggravation this vehicle has gave me since we bought it

Collapse -
stuck sun roof
by Alohababy22 / October 31, 2007 5:27 AM PDT

My 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has a stuck sunroof (in the tilt position). You mention that yours was fixed my replacing the defective diode....where is that located inside the Jeep exactly?
My husband is in Iraq so I am trying to fix this without the help of the most expensive Jeep dealership.....
Thanks for any help you can offer......

Collapse -
SUNROOF
by bjh1225 / October 31, 2007 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: stuck sun roof

You might first try wiping the track good to see if something has gotten onto the track to keep the sunroof from closing. You didn't indicate if the roof will work up to the point where it will go no further but that is what it sounds like to me. If that is the case then your problem is not the one that we had. The sunroof does have limit switches which act as stops for the sunroof. I would get someone to help me if I were you and one work the switch while the other one GENTLY tries to get the sunroof to close. We had a defective diode in the sunroof motor. That entailed removing the molded headliner to gain access to the motor. Then you have to take a voltmeter to the motor to try to find the problem. I assume that your husband is in the military. Does his military unit have a support group for the wives. There might be a person in it that could help you. Any automotive shop is going to charge you a hefty fee to tackle the proble.

Regards, Bettye

Collapse -
stuck sunroof
by Alohababy22 / October 31, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: SUNROOF

I was putting the sunroof in the tilt position and it just stopped and wouldn't retract. (pretty sure if can't go any further) I hear a clicking sound but no motor is engaging. I have gotten an estimate for over $1,000 to replace the entire motor. They said there is no way to close this sunroof without the motor be activated....Can't believe there isn't a simpler solution. Just do not want to spend over $1,000 on a car that is 12 years old and probably headed for a trade in next summer.....We are stationed at a remote location, no support group to depend on. Thanks for the help, it is certainly appreciated.....

Collapse -
remote location.??
by bjh1225 / October 31, 2007 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: stuck sunroof

How remote is it where you live that there is a Jeep dealer you can go to ?? The headliner is a molded one piece unit. In order to get it down the trim around the door windows has to be taken down. The sunroof motor is about midway back in the roof of the car. My husband was able to get the unit closed by doing some 'bypass' with an electrical jumper lead. Then he checked out the components and found the defective diode. Jeep dealer wanted $200 + for it but husband ordered it from an electrical supply he deals with for $17. then soldered it in place. He has a vast experience of some 50 years of this type of work. Ask around if there are any electric shops in your area that do automotive elec repair. You might get it done cheaper than a dealer.

Collapse -
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD with Stuck Sunroof
by Alohababy22 / October 31, 2007 5:35 AM PDT

Please email me at cdafox@aol.com with any responses you might have regarding my stuck sunroof in the tilt position. Someone mentioned a bad sensor or defective diode. Where are these located? Thanks for any help any one can provide.....

Collapse -
Stuck Jeep Sunroof Solution
by iorr / April 20, 2008 10:22 AM PDT

Probably too late for you, but I just "fixed" the stuck sunroof on my '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Like you, I didn't want to spend anything and didn't care if it worked, I only wanted it closed. By taking the motor off, I was able to easily push the sunroof closed, then secured the motor back in place and it keeps the sunroof locked, closed. I tested the seal by running water over it, and all is good.

Like a previous poster stated, the motor is 1/2 way back, in the middle of the ceiling, easily noticeable because of the bulge. The padded ceiling cover has to be removed, which isn't too difficult, just remove the seat belts, visors, etc., that you can see are helping hold the cover in place. Problem that you may encounter is for an older auto, the cloth cover may be falling off the padding and can be made worse by you touching it. On the other hand, if it's already falling, this gives you an opp to fix it.

Hope this helps others w/ the same problem!

Collapse -
Stuck Jeep Sunroof
by malking1 / March 31, 2009 5:07 AM PDT

I just took out headliner. The small relay up by the motor that clicks was intriguing me. The motor wasn't getting any power (checked with a meter). I then checked the relay -about 9 wires leading into it-and I crossed my meter leads and the motor started humming!!

I think it was a matter of corrosion. I cleaned the relay contacts and it works fine. When snapping out all the plastic pieces that hold the headliner: apply pressure at both ends of the piece, they all use compression fittings. The coat hooks have a button over the screw that holds them.

Collapse -
No power to my Jeep GC 2005 sunroof???
by fmsraljevic / March 11, 2012 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Stuck Jeep Sunroof

Can anyone help me solve why there is no power going to my sun roof switch? I check all the fuses and they all work. I removed the unit where the sunroof switch is located and checked with a volt meter the wiring that goes to the sunroof switch and there is no power going to it. Is there a way to fix this as my sunroof won't close Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.