Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Stuck on Apple screen on startup

by swammy50 / November 12, 2007 7:09 AM PST

My wife installed an update for MS office 2004 then restarted. The computer now hangs on the grey apple screen with the progress indicator spinning. I started up from the install disk and repaired the disk and disk permissions from the disk utility but this didn't help. The computer does start in safe mode but I don't know what else to try from there. She has a Macbook with intel 2ghz processor, 2gb ram and Mac OS X 10.4.10.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The genius bar is booked and she needs to work.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stuck on Apple screen on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stuck on Apple screen on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try This
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 15, 2007 3:39 AM PST

Sometimes after an update, it takes a long time for the Mac to reboot. However, if it stays on the same screen for more than 10 minutes, we can accept that there is something else going on.

As the machine starts from the DVD and can boot into Safe Mode, there is probably nothing wrong with the hardware.

Boot the machine in Safe Mode and remove everything from the Startup Items folder on your account.
Take a look in the Start Up items in the HD/Library and drag anything from there onto the desktop.

Restart the machine and see what happens then.

Let us know

P

Collapse -
Try this
by swammy50 / November 15, 2007 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Try This

So after rebooting several times with no luck my wife suggested we shut it down and let it rest for the night. Miraculously this seemed to fix the problem. I think simply restarting but not shutting down contributed to the problem, but I'm not sure why this would be the case. Thank you for your suggestion.

Collapse -
I'm curious....
by Queenbee65 / November 19, 2007 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: Try This

I'm curious what kinds of things one should try in this type of situation, if you'd like to continue mrmacfixit...

I'm fairly new to Macs, but I have pretty much figured out on my own that there doesn't seem to be much that will turn them into a brick. They are very resilient.

Nonetheless, my heart pounds a bit faster when that boot screen takes longer...

QB

Collapse -
Continue?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 19, 2007 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: I'm curious....

A lot depends on the model of Mac that one is working with as to what things to try when the machine does not boot.
Zapping the PRAM often works wonders, as does resetting the power management system (Laptops only)
Shutting the machine down completely, as evidenced by this post, removing the logic board battery, disconnecting everything (except the monitor) and the simplest one, changing the power cord for another.

All the above may help but it all depends on the current circumstances. None of the above will work if a piece of faulty RAM has just been installed. It does not help when the poster fails to disclose the whole story or when they get annoyed with suggests and claim to have already done that.
Suggestions we can make, we cannot read minds.

Welcome to the Mac side, where you will notice the difference

P

Collapse -
Thanks
by Queenbee65 / November 19, 2007 2:27 PM PST
In reply to: Continue?

That all makes sense to me...Some of the same kinds of things I would try with any PC (but with less luck of course!) So far the complete shutdown has been my best trick, along with discovering the Macaroni application- that did wonders! I had never thought about resetting the power management system.

Yes, I'm really loving the Mac experience, I can't bring myself to use Windows anymore. It's like the difference between champagne and a box-o-wine.

Thanks for responding.

Collapse -
You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 19, 2007 8:55 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Welcome to the light side

Happy

P

Collapse -
Gotta love the Jedi for that.
by BeatleMegaFan / November 20, 2007 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: You're welcome

They like white shiny things too. Now I have a craving for an iSaber, haha. My MBP does mess around at the boot screen time to time, but other days it is just running quicker than ever. I did leave it on plugged to my backup for two days straight just to let it run and start a fresh new backup since I just emptied my entire HD. Man, everything is so much neater and better now. Latest software, responsive stuff... etc. My iLife is going good.
I actually did the same to my G4, which is now running much better. Too bad the new iMovie only runs on G5 or later chips, but a quick copy of iMovie HD on my MBP to my flash drive solved the iMovie-emptiness. I love the ability to copy apps and do whatever you want with them. Makes sharing so much easier than PCs. Man... I still need a new PC, but I've found a quad-core HP for $1300 with a keyboard and 22 inch monitor included. Now that's a deal.
-BMF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.