Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Stuck in boot cycle

by southerly95 / August 24, 2008 8:20 PM PDT

Hopeful of some assistance please. I have read other forum items on this subject but none fully cover the aspect I will describe. My main pc is stuck in a boot cycle giving me the black screen with options to start in safe mode etc etc and when selecting one of those options it reboots to the same point. When I press return the system tries to start it attempts it, clicks then goes back to boot cycle. The Windows XP system disk won't cut in like it should so I cannot gain control of the pc.

System is a Dell, 2years old and has had various viruses despite having the usual protection. I am currently using my old trusty Advent Pentium 3 for this message (which has never had the same degree of virus prob's curiously). After the first virus Dell talked me through using Ghost - brilliant. Within a couple of days it was hit again and usinng Spybot got rid of the virus but PC kept displaying the message rundll.dll file damaged. So I used XP Recovery seemingly with no problem only to find it won't reboot.

This probably as fatal an error that I have tried to deal with and not sure what to try next (perhaps remove the HD attach it to the Advent and reformat then reinstall XP?? How risky is that?).

Views welcome, regards, John

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stuck in boot cycle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stuck in boot cycle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: stuck in boot
by Kees Bakker / August 24, 2008 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Stuck in boot cycle

"XP recovery". What's that? Tell more on what exactly you did with what CD. Could vary from a repair install with a Windows XP CD to a full destructive recovery from a Dell System Restore CD.

And what do you mean with "The Windows XP system disk won't cut in"? Do you have a bootable CD and is the BIOS set to boot from it?

And why doesn't Ghost work again of it seemingly did a few days ago?

And - although it's not relevant any more - you might like to tell more about "rundll dll file damaged" also. Like the name of the dll and the exact text of the message.

Generally, there's no need to format the disc on another PC. And surely it's wrong to install XP on another PC. All can be done perfectly well on this PC.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Re: stuck in boot
by southerly95 / August 25, 2008 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: stuck in boot

Thanks Kees:

"XP recovery". What's that?
>It seems Ghost will only run once from the initial Dell subscription and didn't think it necessary to renew. XP Recovery Console is a MS repair module accessible from the XP system disk that came with the PC.

Tell more on what exactly you did with what CD. Could vary from a repair install with a Windows XP CD to a full destructive recovery from a Dell System Restore CD.
>I used the XP Recovery Console described above and accessed when I ran the XP system disk - it seemed to work ok, reported no prob's but then ran into the stuck in boot cycle mode.

And what do you mean with "The Windows XP system disk won't cut in"? Do you have a bootable CD and is the BIOS set to boot from it?
>When I try and use the XP system disk again nothing happens, I am assuming this is a bootable disk? I have changed the Bios temporarily to read the CD drive first.

And why doesn't Ghost work again of it seemingly did a few days ago?
>As metioned I used the Recovery Console first and can't get control of anything at the moment to try and use Ghost.

And - although it's not relevant any more - you might like to tell more about "rundll dll file damaged" also. Like the name of the dll and the exact text of the message.
>I didn't write the error message down unfortunately but almost nothing would run (Word, Excel, internet) without the message coming up.

Generally, there's no need to format the disc on another PC. And surely it's wrong to install XP on another PC. All can be done perfectly well on this PC.
>Ok noted - just to say I have legitimate XP disks for each of our machines (family machine, spare + 2 pc's for dtr's at university).

Collapse -
Re: boot cycle
by Kees Bakker / August 25, 2008 5:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Re: stuck in boot

- Sorry,, don't know the details of Ghost and Dell. But a Dell supplied system recovery should work always, not only once.
- Recovery Console is kind of a command prompt. Easy to mess things up by doing the wrong commands. And "ran the XP disk" doesn't mean much, as you can't type XP disk in the command prompt and get somethiong done.
- You can check if the CD is bootable (XP CD's should be indeed) on another system. Then, if it doesn't boot with you, something is wrong either in the BIOS or in the hardware.

I think it's time to get the XP CD up and running and do a clean install from either that CD or the Dell supplied recovery.

Collapse -
Stuck in boot cycle
by billzhills / August 24, 2008 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Stuck in boot cycle

1. is the BIOS set to Optical device as first boot device?

2. Are you watching for the message to "press any key" to boot from CD?

3. F12 on boot will take you to a device boot option menu. Have you tried this?

4. Windows boot option menu should give an option to turn off automatic restart.
If available have you attempted this?
If yes what is the BSOD error?

5. Yes you can slave this drive to another system for data save and formating.
Primary danger using this procedure to infecting the host system.

6. Free anti-virus

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.