Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Stubborn Display Settings

by TickleMonster012 / August 26, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

I am using a widescreen LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280x800 pixels on a system running Windows 2000, and the display settings window refuses to give me the option to set the screen resolution to this value. (Or any other resolution with the proper height to width ratio.) After contemplating this situation for a while it occurred to me that I have no idea what defines the display resolution options that are available in that settings window. So my question is: How do I make the option for a 1280x800 pixel resolution appear on that display area selection slider? Or, more to the point, how do I convince Windows to stop being so unreasonably stubborn and just display an area of the desktop that is 1280 pixels wide and 800 high?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stubborn Display Settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stubborn Display Settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a combination of...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2008 9:45 PM PDT

The video driver plus the MONITOR.INF from the monitor's maker.

You don't have to supply make and model numbers in your posts but when you omit details, replies can't be specific with maybe a link to the monitor's driver (MONITOR.INF) or more than how it works.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip
by TickleMonster012 / August 27, 2008 6:27 AM PDT

Thanks for the info, Bob. It feels really good to finally understand how to get my computer to do what I want it to do. Unfortunately, I got my monitor second-hand and it didn't come with any software, and the website of the company that makes the monitor requires purchase information about the product before they will talk to you (and I am concerned that they will refuse to provide support for a used product.) So if anyone can tell me where to find the monitor.inf file for an eMachines E15T4W monitor I would be very grateful. By the way, I am using a Viper V550 video card, which I hope will support the desired resolution without any problems, but if anyone knows that this card has a problem handling unusual display sizes (and, ideally, how to fix the problem) that information would also be appreciated.

Collapse -
The Viper 550 looks to be the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2008 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the tip

I didn't find a suitable driver for this card that will support your monitor. Try something made after 2000.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.